Garden Centres

Lee Richards

Site Supporter
Love the odd trip down the Garden Centre
The garden and our allotment are the active hobbies that I share with my partner and I like the satisfaction she gets from both.

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
Even mates my age, the ones who have settled down and got their own garden, they go to get stuff to work on their garden, well half of them, the other lot are those with overgrown gardens. :unsure:

Simon R

Site Supporter
It's the Tropical ones that smell nice. There's one down south somewhere I have been to on the way back from Isle of Wight or when holidaying down there as they have an almost tropical climate or something...
You'd have loved this place

1616164813611.png

1616165487281.png

Sadly the surviving photographs aren't much good but basically it was a huge glass greenhouse (known locally as The Conservatory) that stood on the site of the fire-ravaged and subsequently demolished Marton Hall - built by Sir Henry Bolckow, one of the founding fathers of Middlesbrough.
Built in the 1960s and demolished in the late 90s it was home to dozens of exotic plants - banana trees, coconut palms, giant cacti and loads of varieties of rubber plants - the exotic smells that hit you as you opened the door were like something out of the jungle. It had a fishpond too - the base of which was festooned with copper coins and various exotic birds - parrots and a couple of mynah birds which were word perfect mimics. It was also the home to a monkey although that was before my time.

The urn / vase on the left of the first photo is situated on the site of the cottage where Captain Cook was born.
Time-team did one of their digs at the site and found evidence of the collection of cottages which once stood to the rear of Marton Hall- all gone long before construction of the hall commenced.
The Captain Cook Birthplace Museum is on the site now.

Sorry for meandering off topic

Simon

banksy

Life Member
Site Supporter
I don't mind a serious garden centre with stuff for serious gardeners, although I am not one myself.

Is it just around here, or are most garden centres becoming full of general tat and trash?
Tacky, sentimental figurines, plastic kitchen devices for peeling poached eggs, every gimmicky gadget you didn't know you didn't need?
They even have video display screens with proximity sensors, which launch into their cheerful sales pitch when you get too close to them.
And just after Easter, they are sure to be stocking up with life-sized santas and Christmas carol door bells.

Simon R

Site Supporter
Obviously more money to be made from tat and trash
The ones around here are exactly the same, although there are still one or two local nurseries that just sell plants.
Always know when spring has arrived locally - Morrisons converts it's trolley store to a garden centre

Simon

baldpaul

Site Supporter
I read somewhere that Pablo Escobar thought about opening a garden centre cafe as there was more money in them than what he was doing.

Pompous git

Site Supporter
I avoid garden centres like the plague.

They should all be flattened and turned into places where you can go and watch paint dry, be more interesting.

rudd

Site Supporter
I like garden centres, its just disappointing getting home, putting plants in wondering where they went!

Bought a cherry tree last week for Mrs Rudd in law, getting that home in my nissan shaqshi was fun!

Went here last year, nice few hour's but plant prices - daylight robbery, fortunately there is a village near us full of nurseries whefe plants are very reasonable prices.

Dont understand those who do not look after their garden - chiiling with a cold drink in the garden enjoying the labour of your work, having a coffee first thing as sun warms up, watching them tiny plants grow and blossom, watching the birds and insect life and just owning and looking after a slice of the promised land 🇬🇧

nutmeg

Site Supporter
I like garden centres, its just disappointing getting home, putting plants in wondering where they went!

Bought a cherry tree last week for Mrs Rudd in law, getting that home in my nissan shaqshi was fun!

Went here last year, nice few hour's but plant prices - daylight robbery, fortunately there is a village near us full of nurseries whefe plants are very reasonable prices.

Dont understand those who do not look after their garden - chiiling with a cold drink in the garden enjoying the labour of your work, having a coffee first thing as sun warms up, watching them tiny plants grow and blossom, watching the birds and insect life and just owning and looking after a slice of the promised land 🇬🇧
@rudd make sure not to plant the cherry tree near to any walls, as its roots will eventually attack the foundations

rudd

Site Supporter
@rudd make sure not to plant the cherry tree near to any walls, as its roots will eventually attack the foundations
Good advice, they are a small variety 4m height max on dwarf rootstock, planted well away from any buildings.

mickthechippy

space cadet
Staff member
Site Supporter
the only one Ive ever been too with herself is one on the canterbury road

it had a hot house full of exotics and flutterbies

was an amazing place, jusr sat around in there with huge great big flying things landing on me

while she shopped

carphauler

Barbel Tickler
Done first mow last week, lawn aerated and fed to kill the overwintering moss, wisteria was pruned February, dwarf cherry starting to blossom, tulips and erythroniums coming up, spring is on its way, finally.

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
My mom's got all the plants labelled up ready for when they grow presumably so she remembers which is which. Dad uses a manual push lawnmower to give him exercise. Has asked me to do it a few times and it's bloody hard work.