Garbolino Power Maxim Plus 12.3m Pole -Is It Up To The Job Nowadays?

tincatim

Site Supporter
It’s not the same pole as you have but I happily used an old Garbolino Spyder 11m pole for years. Bought in 1993, used for four years then put into storage for 14 years then used again for five years until I snapped the top section pulling for a break after a very big carp dragged me through the reeds. Even in its old state it successfully managed to handle doubles. It was probably quite heavy compared to today’s technology, but it was manageable at 11m and very durable. If yours is anything like that then I’d say go for it.

Simmo

Do the top kits have any graphics printed on them? If so a picture might help. Garbolino top kits have been pretty much universal for a number of years now.
Hi Nicky,

No graphics I'm afraid, all just plain. I've written to Garbolino to see if they are able to shed any light on it.

chris1967

Site Supporter
I had a power maxim long time ago ,it was the black and white version i remember it being very strong ,never broke it but i remember it being a pig for the worn sections sticking .was really nice at 11m at that time the only elastics i used were future 12 and future 14 solids
It was roundabout the time Daiwa were just launching the hydro elastic range if i recall . good strong pole

Simmo

Looks great mate, does everything feel ok ?? Be nice if you can still get some top kits for it, that will do you well on carp lakes mate 💪💪
Errrr no. Have a split at the base of the No5 section. Probably as long as the spigot. I used to whip over these with mono and then run superglue all over it. Any ideas? I presume that pole repairs have changed since I used to do my type of fix.

chris1967

Site Supporter
could be wrong ,i think that one came out after the version i had ,long time ago like i said . If all the other sections feel sound i'd pay the 25/30 quid and have a wrap put on the split

chefster

Shedster!!
Site Supporter
Errrr no. Have a split at the base of the No5 section. Probably as long as the spigot. I used to whip over these with mono and then run superglue all over it. Any ideas? I presume that pole repairs have changed since I used to do my type of fix.
You have a few choices....Poledoctor or Estelle pole repairs can do a complete refurb for about £100, that would restore any bad bits .....you can have the section repaired by the above for £30........you could buy a carbon repair kit from above , watch the YouTube video and do it yourself......you could find a local angler that does a few repairs, and get him to do it

Simmo

You have a few choices....Poledoctor or Estelle pole repairs can do a complete refurb for about £100, that would restore any bad bits .....you can have the section repaired by the above for £30........you could buy a carbon repair kit from above , watch the YouTube video and do it yourself......you could find a local angler that does a few repairs, and get him to do it
Can get one of these .. Fishing Pole Repair Kit - Easy Composites
I'm pretty handy so it shouldn't be a problem providing thatvthe kit is OK?

Simmo

Righto cheers 👍🏼 I might just hang fire to see if I can get any more top 2's for it before going any further. I only have 2 and the rest are match top 3's. I've got rid of the match top tip sections in the past and then cut back the No2 to fit a bigger bush but I'm not sure if the match tops are man enough for bigger carp.

chefster

Shedster!!
Site Supporter
Righto cheers 👍🏼 I might just hang fire to see if I can get any more top 2's for it before going any further. I only have 2 and the rest are match top 3's. I've got rid of the match top tip sections in the past and then cut back the No2 to fit a bigger bush but I'm not sure if the match tops are man enough for bigger carp.
There’s only one way to find out 🤷‍♂️Having said that I’ve “exploded” a few match kits putting strong elastic in them and using them as power kits 😂😂

Simmo

There’s only one way to find out 🤷‍♂️Having said that I’ve “exploded” a few match kits putting strong elastic in them and using them as power kits 😂😂
I'm still pondering whether the best way is to just get a more modern carp pole which I can then get spares for. I still have my 16m Maver K27 for silver fish so I dont really need an 'all rounder'. Second hand would be OK or new if I can get a decent one for £500-£700 maybe.

chefster

Shedster!!
Site Supporter
I'm still pondering whether the best way is to just get a more modern carp pole which I can then get spares for. I still have my 16m Maver K27 for silver fish so I dont really need an 'all rounder'. Second hand would be OK or new if I can get a decent one for £500-£700 maybe.
Best commercial pole available at the price.👊 DF1E93F0-ACD5-4BD5-905A-43DC7DD7553A.jpeg 129073D4-3CE9-47F3-8D1C-39CC7ED41A81.jpeg

Simmo

Liking the look of this Maver Definition though 👍🏼 Looks a good bit of kit for handling the proper lumps. I'm buying a lot of stuff from Bristol Angling so have emailed Dan at the shop to see what sort of deal he could do for me.

chefster

Shedster!!
Site Supporter
Liking the look of this Maver Definition though 👍🏼 Looks a good bit of kit for handling the proper lumps. I'm buying a lot of stuff from Bristol Angling so have emailed Dan at the shop to see what sort of deal he could do for me.
There’s a YouTube video of Callum using it at TBF 👍

Nicky Dodds

Trust me the older garbolino match kits aren't up to carp with heavy elastic. Have you got an internal measurement for the top kit No3 or the power kit No2 ?

Simmo

Trust me the older garbolino match kits aren't up to carp with heavy elastic. Have you got an internal measurement for the top kit No3 or the power kit No2 ?
I suspected not. I'll get a measurement and let you know. I don't have anything which will measure to an exact size but should be able to use a pair of calipers and get something pretty close 👍🏼 Thanks very much.