Garbolino Power Maxim Plus 12.3m Pole -Is It Up To The Job Nowadays?

Simmo

Hi all, still building up my gear but am more or less there now with regard to the expensive items. I was just wondering about a carp pole, as in should I buy one? I still have an old Garbolino Power Maxim Plus 12.3m pole in the loft and was wondering if it's strong enough for today's carp puddles. When I was using it, we were only talking 6-7lb fish as opposed to the proper lumps they have now grown into. I'm not sure on the elastic rating (I'll fish it out of the loft later on in case it says it on the pole) Does anyone have any ideas please? I can either take a chance and use it, buy a margin pole and just use the Garbolino in 'open water' or just 'bite the bullet' and buy a new 'full length' pole.

Thanks everyone.

Dave.

Simmo

Cheers chefster 👍🏼 Another potentially dumb question .. It hasn't been used for about 22 years and I was wondering if there's a chance that it might have deteriorated as a result. It's been stored in the holdall and hasn't had any damage so far as I know so I'm hoping that carbon will just remain 'inert' and will be just the same now as it was 20+ years ago.

chefster

Shedster!!
Site Supporter
Cheers chefster 👍🏼 Another potentially dumb question .. It hasn't been used for about 22 years and I was wondering if there's a chance that it might have deteriorated as a result. It's been stored in the holdall and hasn't had any damage so far as I know so I'm hoping that carbon will just remain 'inert' and will be just the same now as it was 20+ years ago.
If it’s not been used it should be the same as when you put it in there, it’s usually usage that deteriorate a pole, get it out , give it a good old waggle!!, squeeze along all the sections, you’ll soon know if it’s ok ...They were good carp poles back in the day 👍👍

Simmo

If it’s not been used it should be the same as when you put it in there, it’s usually usage that deteriorate a pole, get it out , give it a good old waggle!!, squeeze along all the sections, you’ll soon know if it’s ok ...They were good carp poles back in the day 👍👍
Nice one, cheers chefster. I'll get it down and give it a once over. 👍🏼

chefster

Shedster!!
Site Supporter
Sounds like mid-single figure fish but in some cases up to mid-doubles.
You’ll probably need to get some puller bungs , and do a couple of tops with 12-14,and 14-16 hybrid (such as TH Solidco, matrix Slik, Preston )...that’s only my suggestion, you will get loads of different answers , it’s upto you to make a decision and give it a go 👍

Simmo

You’ll probably need to get some puller bungs , and do a couple of tops with 12-14,and 14-16 hybrid (such as TH Solidco, matrix Slik, Preston )...that’s only my suggestion, you will get loads of different answers , it’s upto you to make a decision and give it a go 👍
Cheers chefster 👍🏼 Notice you have a miracle baits link there, do you know Steve Gregory? He used to fish our firm's matches along with his mate who used to work with us.

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
Just realised I've been on here for over 17 years and have finally managed an interesting thread 😂😂
No, no, it me. I like nitty gritty threads with detail. Information that you can try for yourself. I also appreciate other forum members that go out of their way to share their experiences and tips. 👍

Ben Field

I had one of the newer versions when they rebuilt some around 2003/4. Really strong poles. Loved it tbh. Often fished Preston 19H through it at the time.

Simmo

I don't suppose anyone knows if the universal power top 2's are still available for this pole do they?

chefster

Shedster!!
Site Supporter
I don't suppose anyone knows if the universal power top 2's are still available for this pole do they?
Don’t think they’d be available for your specific pole, but there are quite a few universals available, you’d have to measure/try some ..when you’re ready to buy elastic, you might want to post a “which” elastic post, that way, although a bit confusing, you’ll get an idea of what is available these days , 👍