Garage Door Replacement

Yuccaman

I like fishing.
Staff member
Site Supporter
He's not posted on here in a good while, but @big stoo has a company based in Sleaford doing exactly this - installing roller doors. He's an absolutely top guy and I'm sure he'd cover your area and he has many, many good reviews.

Stu's Garage Door Services

160642fishing

Site Supporter
Do you keep your car in the garage?

I don't, so I'm getting rid of the old tin up-and-over door, bricking the gap up with an cavity wall, and installing a 3' uPVC door to get my fishing tackle through.
Also having a suspended wooden floor, separate toilet & shower, a radiator, a decent workbench and good lighting put in, to make it a more comfortable fishing tackle room / workshop.
I've got a sneaky feeling my bed might also end up in there! :oops:
Are there any planning/building regs requirements to do this Banksy.

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
It comes under permitted development.
As long as the room is not going to be habitable and it doesn't front a road, you can do with it what you like

dry nets

apprentice stormtrooper
Site Supporter
Only old people put their cars in the garage.
Excuse me sir but I’m only 21 and I’ve always put my cars in the garage. When we bought this house 26 yr ago the first thing I did was build a garage. If car don’t go in , it’s ends up full of s**t

jason39

I have 2 roller electric garage doors, they are brill. They are alarmed and a lot more secure than the normal doors. i think they were about £1200 each a couple of years ago. I put 2 cars in the garage every night and have done ever since i have had a garage, I'm not old.

Tenacious Sloth

Site Supporter
In my experience, it’s the very young and very old adult males that can fit their cars in the garage.

The very young ones aren’t married yet and the very old ones are divorced.

Everyone in between has a wife/partner who dumps all their rubbish in the garage - so no room for a car.

Tenacious Sloth

Site Supporter
Incidently. As the OP I guess I should mention that I’ve had a Aluroll secureroll Classic Roller Door fitted by Garage Door Wizards based in Great Stukely. It cost £1512 altogether including disposal of the old door and I’m very pleased with the product and service.

6EC31986-E8BB-460C-8110-746691CDB294.jpeg

Last edited:

davepellet

might be a stupid question, but these roller doors... is there a way to open them if the power or motor goes?
other than ramming them with the car, that is

Tenacious Sloth

Site Supporter
might be a stupid question, but these roller doors... is there a way to open them if the power or motor goes?
other than ramming them with the car, that is
Yep. Manual windy handle on the inside. Although I guess this is only any good if you have another door into the garage. Not sure what they do if you haven’t?