Garage Door Replacement

Tenacious Sloth

Site Supporter
A lot of the guys on this Forum seem a lot more clued up on practical matters than myself, so I thought I’d post the following non-fishing related query in the hope of getting some good advice.

One of the cables has snapped on our single width, up-and-over garage door.

Repairing this myself isn’t something I’m prepared to consider, so I’m considering two options:

1. Get someone in to repair the door mechanism.

2. Replace the door with a roller type door.

I’ve been thinking about option 2 for a while as it would allow us to park much closer to the door and still be able to open it. Also, I spend a fair bit of time in the garage fettling bikes or on the rowing machine and the up-and-over door always strikes me as a bit dodgy when it’s open during a strong wind.

I assume all roller type doors are electric? We do have power to the garage.

I also wouldn’t mind some additional security as the single lock on the current door doesn’t fill me with confidence.

Fortunately, the door is currently closed and locked so it isn’t an emergency as I have another door into the garage from the back garden.

Is anyone able to give me a rough idea of expected costs of Option 1 vs Option 2 before I get someone round, as I have no idea and don’t want to have my kecks pulled down. :)

I’m in the Peterborough/Huntingdon area if anyone is able to recommend a local company.

Thanks in advance.

Graham

The Landlord

Site Supporter
Next door neighbour just had electric roller ones fitted. Cost him £1400 all in. I've replaced the cables on ours before now & it's a bloody fiddly job. Last time I had to do it, I got somebody in & It was only £40 for him to supply & fit new cables.

Barbelcatcher

Site Supporter
I purchased an electric door, to replace a up and over, but it was a sectional fold, which required to extend into the Garage. The only problem being when opened it masked several of our ceiling lights. I wish to some extent I had gobe with a roller just above the door opening.

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
You will need an increased header to fit a roller door as you need somewhere for the cassette to live.
Also, bear in mind the slatted type roller doors are so easy to break into it's unreal, unless you pay a small fortune for a high quality door.

The folding sectional ones are much better and more secure, again you get what you pay for, but they follow a similar path to your existing up and over door so won't require the increased headroom

If there's nothing wrong with your existing door other than the cable(s) it's going to be a lot cheaper to get someone in to repair it than replace it.

This is the company I have used several times with no problems when adding garages to extensions...

I don't know if they work as far as you though however a call or email would soon find the answer to that

banksy

Life Member
Site Supporter
Do you keep your car in the garage?

I don't, so I'm getting rid of the old tin up-and-over door, bricking the gap up with an cavity wall, and installing a 3' uPVC door to get my fishing tackle through.
Also having a suspended wooden floor, separate toilet & shower, a radiator, a decent workbench and good lighting put in, to make it a more comfortable fishing tackle room / workshop.
I've got a sneaky feeling my bed might also end up in there! :oops:

Arry

Aitch, Cantankerous old gimmer with "Views"
Site Supporter
Had an electric roller door fitted... it has an alarm fitted and safety stops insulated, paid £1600 and it was all fitted done in a day... very pleased with it

RedhillPhil

Computers verified, riots quelled, wars started.
Site Supporter
Luscious lady friend's up and o we garage door wasn't working in that if had to be pushed up and then wouldn't stay put. Got the Garadoor man in who sucked air through his teeth and said, "the spring tensioners have gone. You might consider a new door".
Next was a "We repair garage doors" company.
Nice man looked at it and said, " the left hand spring has broken. I've got one in the van. £50 supplied and fitted"
Done in about 15 minutes.

Maesknoll

Chris
Staff member
Site Supporter
Had an electric roller door fitted... it has an alarm fitted and safety stops insulated, paid £1600 and it was all fitted done in a day... very pleased with it
I have got one as well, a quality one with some sort of security guarantee - can’t remember what now - more than happy with it.

commieboy257

mum just had one fitted, nice job, secure and under £1000 fitted. much better than the old up and over which was so insecure it was practically an invitation to rob. whoever rob is.

tysontim

Site Supporter
Just had a new electric roller fitted £1400 with two fobs, had one fitted at my last place for about the same price.

John Step

Site Supporter
Got a roller door no problems, except....when the battery runs out on the fob you need a degree in IT to re tune it after fitting a new one!

Tenacious Sloth

Site Supporter
Do you keep your car in the garage?

I don't, so I'm getting rid of the old tin up-and-over door, bricking the gap up with an cavity wall, and installing a 3' uPVC door to get my fishing tackle through.
Also having a suspended wooden floor, separate toilet & shower, a radiator, a decent workbench and good lighting put in, to make it a more comfortable fishing tackle room / workshop.
I've got a sneaky feeling my bed might also end up in there! :oops:

No. But I do have a motorcycle, a rowing machine, half a dozen bicycles, a beer fridge and about a billion quids worth of fishing tackle.

This is why improved security is a serious consideration. I’d hate it if someone got into my beer fridge.

Stretch1066

Life member
Site Supporter
Go for the roller shutter you will thank yourself for it later. I recently had ours changed got fed up with struggling pulling it up and getting it down and nearly putting your back out. cost around £1400 all singing and dancing, solid steel type for security, powder coated, safety bar on the bottom so it doesn't come down when it shouldn't. You can go for a cheaper version with no motor.

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
Just be careful with roller shutter doors as a few years ago there was a Manchester based company operating through several company names selling them cheaply but described as top of the range, hi-security - I knew a client who had one fitted and it was as much use as a sheet of Rice paper in a rain storm - it looked the part but folded so easily giving some scrotes easy access to his cycles.

Chervil

Site Supporter
A lot of the guys on this Forum seem a lot more clued up on practical matters than myself, so I thought I’d post the following non-fishing related query in the hope of getting some good advice.

One of the cables has snapped on our single width, up-and-over garage door.

Repairing this myself isn’t something I’m prepared to consider, so I’m considering two options:

1. Get someone in to repair the door mechanism.

2. Replace the door with a roller type door.

I’ve been thinking about option 2 for a while as it would allow us to park much closer to the door and still be able to open it. Also, I spend a fair bit of time in the garage fettling bikes or on the rowing machine and the up-and-over door always strikes me as a bit dodgy when it’s open during a strong wind.

I assume all roller type doors are electric? We do have power to the garage.

I also wouldn’t mind some additional security as the single lock on the current door doesn’t fill me with confidence.

Fortunately, the door is currently closed and locked so it isn’t an emergency as I have another door into the garage from the back garden.

Is anyone able to give me a rough idea of expected costs of Option 1 vs Option 2 before I get someone round, as I have no idea and don’t want to have my kecks pulled down. :)

I’m in the Peterborough/Huntingdon area if anyone is able to recommend a local company.

Thanks in advance.

Graham
We used Kemp Garage Doors, who, look like they will cover your area. A friend recommended them and one of our neighbours has also used them, since they saw them being fitted (they said they were half the price of another quote).
Really pleased with the service and the doors, both doors fitted in a day. We went for sectional doors (Garador), insulated, more for the extra strength.
As we don't use the right hand door that much, we didn't go for an electric one on that side, just the left side, as the car goes in there.
There is much more height on the opening and I can open the boot of the car with the door open, something I couldn't do, with the old 'up and over' door.
It has a built in light, that stays on for two minutes, two fobs and you can also use your phone to open it. Both doors came to just under £2600 in total. There's a stop switch in the rubber seal, in case anything is in the way, if there is a power failure, you can disconnect the drive, by just pulling a toggle, so can still open and close them and, because you can park the car further back, it gives you more space at the front for racking, for extra fishing tackle!
As I said, really pleased with them.

IMG_20201121_094216911.jpg IMG_20201121_094247399.jpg IMG_20201121_094330340.jpg IMG_20201121_094353560.jpg

Last edited:

Tenacious Sloth

Site Supporter
We used Kemp Garage Doors, who, look like they will cover your area. A friend recommended them and one of our neighbours has also used them, since they saw them being fitted (they said they were half the price of another quote).
Really pleased with the service and the doors, both doors fitted in a day. We went for sectional doors (Garador), insulated, more for the extra strength.
As we don't use the right hand door that much, we didn't go for an electric one on that side, just the left side, as the car goes in there.
There is much more height on the opening and I can open the boot of the car with the door open, something I couldn't do, with the old 'up and over' door.
It has a built in light, that stays on for two minutes, two fobs and you can also use your phone to open it. Both doors came to just under £2600 in total. There's a stop switch in the rubber seal, in case anything is in the way, if there is a power failure, you can disconnect the drive, by just pulling a toggle, so can still open and close them and, because you can park the car further back, it gives you more space at the front for racking, for extra fishing tackle!
As I said, really pleased with them.

View attachment 88820 View attachment 88821 View attachment 88822 View attachment 88823
Thanks for taking the time to give such a detailed reply, much appreciated.

I’ll definitely get them round for a quote if I can.

The Landlord

Site Supporter
Love getting my car out on frosty mornings, wouldn't do without it. When we moved, we both had some things we were looking for, mine was a double garage.
To be honest, I'm really jealous of your double garage, I'd love one. Not to put my car in though....one half for her junk & the other half for important stuff like tools, my fishing gear & dartboard. I'd have it heated as well.