Futuristic fishing

Dave Spence

MD virtual champion 2020. Golden Pie winner 2018.
Site Supporter
I wrote these tongue in cheek when I first joined the forum, I think I may have been more visionary than I thought:-

Fishing in the 2050's

I pulled into the fishery on my solar powered moped, parked up and walked into the office. The large screen on the wall told me that there were 52 fishing stations available and gave their respective numbers. I walked over to one of the coin operated machines that stood against the wall. I looked into the rubber eyepiece and waited for the retina scan that confirmed me as a member. "Welcome Dave" came the dulcet tones of Sabrina, the voice of this particular fishery, "please insert your booking fee". I fished in my pocket and placed two £50 coins into Sabrina's slot, "thank you Dave" she replied huskily. The screen on the front of the machine lit up and I was prompted to select which station I wished to fish, I opted for number 28, a favourite of mine. "Good luck" whispered Sabrina and a small silver key dropped into the tray at the bottom of the machine.

I strolled over to my chosen station and using the key, I had been issued, let myself in. The station was the same as others all over the country, measuring 10ft x 10ft it was, in effect, a three sided garden shed with the open end facing out over the water. I made myself comfortable in the large padded chair, as soon as I sat down sensors in the seat caused a screen to drop down to my left side, the right side was taken up by a large box section which ran the length of the right hand wall, this housed all the electronics and tackle. This was a right handed station, for left handed anglers the configuration was reversed.

The screen lit up and a map of the water, directly in front of me, was displayed. The screen informed me that there were 63 fish within my stations catching zone. I had a look at a group of 8 fish that were rooting in the bottom at a range of 14.3 metres (this distance was displayed on my screen). I used the touchscreen option of 'select tackle' I selected 16m Pole, 0.5gm float, 0.14 line and size 14 hook. I was then presented with a line diagram of my rig and asked to position float and weights. This I did by sliding my finger over the image and tapping the screen when I reached the desired place. Once I was happy I pressed the 'start fishing' icon.

The box by my side did some whirring, then a flap at the end opened and 16 metres of Pole, already rigged as per my diagram, slid out. I was pleasantly surprised to find that the fishery had updated their poles and this was a new spec Daiwa, stiff as a poker, weighing 4oz at the full 16m, it was a pleasure to hold compared to the previous Browning ones which weighed over 10oz! These became very uncomfortable to hold after an hour.

The screen then prompted me to select my bait, I opted for 6mm pellet with 12 x 4mm pellets loose fed every 90 seconds. The pole slid back into the box, emerging 10 seconds later fully baited. I picked it up and pushed it out over the water until my rig was positioned over the shoal of fish on my screen. The pole showed up as a thin black line on the green screen making it an easy matter to lower my baited hook into their midst.

I pressed the 'commence feeding' icon on my screen, the box whirred again and the feeder arm slid into position. This was just a steel arm with a cup on the end. The cup sat directly under a small chute in the machine. 12 x 4mm pellets then slid down the chute into the cup, the arm swivelled slightly then sprang forward, propelling the pellets into a perfect group around the bristle of my float. The arm immediately re-set itself and the chute refilled it ready to fire again in 90 seconds time.

Almost immediately my float buried and I was into my first fish, in absolutely typical fashion, Serena chose that moment to tell me that my wife wished to speak to me. I put the rod into the custom holder at my side and pressed the 'auto play' icon on the screen. "Put her on Sabrina" I said and my wife appeared on the screen.

"Any luck darling" she asked,

"just playing one" I replied,

"Oh sorry" she said "I'll leave you to it” and with that she was gone.

The screen went back to fishing mode and informed me that my fish had been landed and duly released. It also stated that it was a female Common Carp weighing 9lb 3oz which had been stocked the previous year. I grunted in satisfaction, great start I thought to myself. I pressed the re-bait icon and the pole slid back into its box and emerged ready to go.

I went on to catch a further 50 fish which the screen informed me weighed a total of 431lb 12oz with the largest fish weighing a respectable 14lb 6oz. The screen then flashed up the 'your 2hrs is up, if you wish to continue please insert a further £100' I decided to call it a day and pressed 'stop'. The pole immediately slid into the box at my side and I could hear it being dismantled ready for the next angler. A printed page with my catch details and a picture of my largest fish emerged from the base of the screen, carefully tearing it off I folded it into my pocket, placed my key in the tray that had emerged from the side, blew Sabrina a kiss and left the station.

On the walk back to the office I pondered on my session, 51 fish, whilst not brilliant, was not a bad day and I was already looking forward to next month when I would be eligible for another session.

Part 2

My driverless, solar powered, moped parked itself expertly against the wall of the fishing office, I had updated my moped since my last visit and now had the luxury of being able to just sit and think rather than concentrating on the road. My thoughts on this particular journey had been about my last visit; as you may remember I had just had a reasonable day and was on my way back to my old moped. What I didn’t tell you was the following:-

About 50 yards from my moped a short dark haired man joined the path just ahead of me, he was wearing a long green coat, of the style you used to see in the classic westerns of about 60 years ago. Suddenly, to my amazement, a large carp slipped out of the bottom of his coat and landed with a wet thud on the floor. The man quickly scooped it up and concealed it once more in the folds of his coat.
Now I am not a brave man but I couldn’t let this go,
“Excuse me” I shouted
The man stopped and looked at me blankly “Izz preblem”
“You’ve got a stolen fish in your coat” I said.
“wat mean you, wat is stealen” he replied “I no speeki anglesh gud”
I pointed at the bulge in his coat and said loudly “No, Not allowed, Verboten”
“iz tee, keedz loov the carpies for tee” he replied.
I repeated “not allowed, I will have to report this to the office”
The man then replied in perfect English “I don’t think that would be a good idea, a better idea would be for you to forget all about this”
It was then that I noticed a cold hardness in his eyes and I drew the conclusion that he was the type you didn’t mess with.
“I am paying for those fish with my club fees” I stammered
The man opened his coat and along with 3 large carp, in pockets sewn into the lining, were a long wicked looking knife and the butt of what looked to be a sawn off shotgun.
“Maybe my two friends here may convince you to forget that you met me”
I gulped, I was all for law and order but I wasn’t about to be stabbed, shot or both because of a couple of fish. I assured him that it was none of my business and, seemingly convinced, he nodded and strode off towards the car park.

Now back to today; it is a month later and I once again strode into the office and looked into the rubber eyepiece of the booking station. “Hello” breathed Sabrina softly “please insert your booking fee”. This lady had an insatiable appetite for coins and I was sure that I heard her sigh when they hit the bottom of her collection slot.
“We need to do an information update, please follow the on-screen instructions” she said with a voice as smooth as honey.
I made the appropriate responses confirming my name, address, licence number etc. ensuring that on the prompt for ‘sexual orientation’ I pressed the ‘curious, willing to try’ button; whilst not yet illegal to be heterosexual it is becoming increasingly frowned upon, pressing the curious button would keep them happy for a while.
“Thank you” said Sabrina “please choose your station”.
I opted for number 28 again, but instead of confirmation the screen said number 54 and the familiar silver key dropped into the tray at the bottom of the machine, “good luck” whispered Sabrina. I was about to press the help icon but decided that it may be fate, and, as I had never fished 54 I thought I would give it a go.
Letting myself into the station I settled into the chair and the, familiar, green screen dropped down to my left. I could clearly see a shoal of huge fish tight into the marginal weed and I poked my head round the front of the three sided shed, which made up the fishing station, to see if they were actually visible. I could see them plain as day, I estimated that the largest one would be about 40lb, a venue record! I started to get excited looking up I saw that fishing opposite me was none other than the foreign chap I had met last time, our eyes locked and he put two fingers to his lips and turned away. Studiously ignoring him I turned back to my screen and made my tackle selection, margin pole number 40 elastic, 0.3 line and a number 8 hook, I intended to take no prisoners.
The box at my side whirred and to my surprise a rod and reel appeared with a large tungsten bomb of about 4oz attached to very strong braided line, there was no hook. I pressed the help button on the screen but it went black and switched off. I watched helplessly as the rod, in the auto cast arm, slowly swivelled, swung back to about 45 degrees behind vertical and then whipped forward with so much force the station rattled right down to its three foundations and a cloud of plaster dust fell from the ceiling. I watched the lead hurtle through the air towards the far bank, everything seemed to be in slow motion, I saw then that my foreign friend was having trouble with his automatic pole claw, which seemed to be holding him tightly around the neck and the lead was heading straight for him. I tried to shout but no words would come out and I looked on helplessly as the lead hit him straight between the eyes. The pole claw suddenly righted itself and the man pitched head first into the lake, a black shadow emanating from his head as his blood mixed with the water. I watched, horrified, as several carp swam into the bloody cloud, I could hear them slurping as they extracted an ironic, macabre sort of revenge.
My screen suddenly lit up and Sabrina appeared “you have killed member #1453-aC/42 with a careless cast”
“I didn’t” I stammered
“Don’t worry Dave, these things happen” stated Sabrina, “the owners will take care of everything”
“But we need to inform the police” I stated
Sabrina’s expression changed, her eyes became hooded and her pupils seemed to spit sparks, her top lip curled into a snarl and her beautiful white teeth appeared longer and viciously pointed.
“You will say nothing” she snarled “after all you are very good at saying nothing”
I trembled, it was obvious that she knew about me keeping #1453-aC/42’s secret.
Sabrina’s face went back to normal and she smiled sweetly “The owners like members with discretion, can we rely on yours”? She breathed seductively.
“Yes” I murmured
“Good” said Sabrina “and as a reward for your discretion…” her voice tailed off and a gold card poked out of the slot in the machine.
I gazed at it, a life membership unlimited sessions permit, only a few people had them, probably because not many could afford the £750,000 price tag.
“Please ensure your continued discretion” said Sabrina “after all you never know who may be fishing opposite” and with that she gave me a sexy wink, blew me a kiss and the screen went black.

MarkW

Very good. I'd be amazed if we're still using cash in 2030 never mind 2050 though; the lockdown brought this home to me when the only time I handled cash in 7 weeks was the weekly Tesco shop needing a pound coin to get the trolley, and even since then I've only used cash once.

Dick Walker published a futuristic article about fishing in 1984 in a 1973 issue of Fisherman magazine (not the later David Hall magazine of the same name) where anglers booked a private bay complete with cabin to fish for carp.

Flathead

Site Supporter
Dick Walker published a futuristic article about fishing in 1984 in a 1973 issue of Fisherman magazine (not the later David Hall magazine of the same name) where anglers booked a private bay complete with cabin to fish for carp.
That is also in a book called:

‘The best of Dick Walker’s Coarse Fishing’ published in 1988.

Silver fan 82

Very good Dave, maybe a glimpse of the future? Who knows.

Saw this ages ago

Just like fishing in your local garden centre.

Dave Spence

Site Supporter
I have been expecting this for a few years now, if the enclosure is heated they could also create a tropical environment and introduce exotic species, (yesterdays match was won with 150lb of pirhanna). I think that future match'lakes' will be raised and have glass sides, if they can keep the water clear, spectators could see the fish's reactions to what the anglers were doing.

Scribe

Official Supplier of Pork Pies to the Drowners
Site Supporter
I do worry about the state of your mind Dave..........I had better up my game for the Pork Pie Match otherwise I can see me getting 'leaded' shortly afterwards.
:eek::eek::ghost::ghost:

Dave Spence

Site Supporter
I do worry about the state of your mind Dave..........I had better up my game for the Pork Pie Match otherwise I can see me getting 'leaded' shortly afterwards.
:eek::eek::ghost::ghost:
Don't let me down Kev, I am only just recovering....The doctor says I am okay to have sharp things again now...under supervision of course:drooling:

Scribe

Site Supporter
Don't let me down Kev, I am only just recovering....The doctor says I am okay to have sharp things again now...under supervision of course:drooling:

Hmmmm I'm not so sure :unsure::unsure:Matron said you still haven't progressed from a crayon yet. :D

Scribe

Site Supporter
Dave........you must have the cleanest windows in your road. :D