Funny How Memory Works

Status
Not open for further replies.

banksy

Life Member
Site Supporter
I remember with great clarity one or two wonderful sessions.

A crystal clear canal, the reeds shaking, the lilly pads sending rings out across the surface. Then as the light fades, the little peacock quill float dips, lifts up and lies flat for a second, then skims across the water. The explosion of the fight, then a huge warm tench lies in the landing net.[:)]

I do NOT remember shivering through the dark cold hours, trying to grab a few minutes sleep whilst sitting in a canvas chair, with plastic bags tied to my feet to ward off the dew on the grass (couldn't afford wellies). Waiting for dawn, and sunshine to warm me up.[xx(]

I don't even remember the match yesterday.
My mate caught just five fish. He weighed in 42lb.
I too caught five fish. I weighed in 4oz.[:(]

So how's YOUR memory? What keeps you going back for more?

phil-k

I remember the red tip of the float gracefully gliding downstream and then its gone,strike and a pristine chub writhes and wriggles in the current and is gently brought to hand under a cloudless sky.
I forget my waders leaking water and filling my boots with cold squelchy water while a cold wind whips accross the water chilling me to the bone...

I remeber the pike float bobbing and then skating accross the water before submerging and the arc of the rod as I lean into a big dead wieght of a heavy pike before it wakes up and takes line at the start of a great fight.
I forgot sitting out in a near blizzard of fine snow with the pike drop offs motionless as I get colder and colder and the weather worsens until I am forced to retreat to the car with nothing to show to for my efforts and the prospect of another long week at work before I can get out again to catch a fish.

The Big Fella

Hi,

I remember as a child the dream of expectation of a specimen fish following my spinner and ambushing it with flashing scissors and the curve of my rod kicking in as it fought for its freedom........

Then I remember the pain......No I'd not lost it!

In reality the spinner this particular cast had not even made the water but nestled like an earing hanging from my ear with droplets of blood running down my neck and staining my shirt.[:D]

Yes your right memory is a wonderful thing - very selective![;)][:D]

ada

brummie
I remember the trent in its hey day with 2 people required to lift your keepnet as it was packed with prime roach and chub fishing i will never forget,i remember fishing on the trent with my dad down stream untangling his rig and my float dipping under his nose with a prime barbel on the end his face was priceless!

david platt

Fusilier
I remember as a lad of 10yrs old sitting on the bank of swan lodge
(what was one of Hampson mill Lodges down Manchester Road Bury)at 5-30 in the morning just getting light and watching the mist rise off the water and seeing the rings left from fish riseing.
The Sun coming up and painting the mist Gold and feeling the excitement of what might be, and waiting for my mum to bring me my breakfast (egg & bacon butties with a jug of tea) talking to the blokes going to work at mill, all giving advice on how to fish and what baits to use.
Mind you this was in the school holidays, Honest!! well nearly allways, Good old Days, I dont think you would be safe doing this these days.
Dave

Geoff P

The MOGerator
Staff member
Site Supporter
I remember leaving the house at 6 in the morning, calling for my mate then walking 2 miles across fields then through a forest to fish in the feeder stream to Darwell Reservoir, after trout and perch.

I remember running as quick as I could to avoid the bailiff, who was a bad tempered old cuss. (No I didn't get it from him)

I remember my father battering hell out of my backside for leaving my mate behind to get caught by the bailiff and losing his fishing tackle.

I remember having to give my pocket money to my mate to pay for half of his gear.

Strange how my dad always demanded we bring the big perch home for him to eat. (This was in the 50s btw)

Ah memories!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Enigma

Armchair Carper
My reason is very simple...I go to work everyday and thats enough to want to make me go fishing.....

simonelsey

only1 net empty
Geoff have you ever fished darwell . Any tips as Keep meaning to fish the damn place.

As for memory trotting a maggot down the river eden , catching nice 3 - 4 lb chub ,
Or down at iden lock boxing day with me day and Having a bagful of silvers. Brillant

Geoff P

The MOGerator
Staff member
Site Supporter
Not legally Simon. Not been near the place for over 30 years

I believe the Clive Vale club used to fish it a couple of times a year to remove the coarse fish.

Woody1

I fished my local public park "illegaly". Caught roach and trout with bread fished a foot deep. I.had a 2 shilling reel and a lilipop stick for a float and hand lined over the bridge. If Old man Williscroft "the parkie" had caught me i,d have been sore for a week.
I was 7 years of age and i couldn,t get the smell of the fish on my hands out of my head. Me mum knew where i,d been but she just winked at me when dad was there and said go and wash ya paws if you want feedin.[:D]

Sorry, I forgot to add, I know as much about fishing now as i did then. 46 years later [:D]

Last edited:

ada

brummie
i also remember the first outing at an estate lake when lead shot was banned for the first time,the only shot available was the desperate clip on ones i caught overt 50lb of red fins would have doubled that if had not spent all day reshotting the float because they kept flying off!

Cedric

I remember we used to get all ready on friday for night fishing, then go round a (single) mates house, dump the fishing gear, get changed into our disco gear and bugger off to the club all-nighter without our Mrs's. [8D] [;)]

Thats probably why I'm single now. I actually go fishing when I want now. [}:)]

wandererfc

Originally posted by Cedric

I remember we used to get all ready on friday for night fishing, then go round a (single) mates house, dump the fishing gear, get changed into our disco gear and bugger off to the club all-nighter without our Mrs's. [8D] [;)]

Thats probably why I'm single now. I actually go fishing when I want now. [}:)]

lol [:D] i use to do exactly the same [:D][:D]

Status
Not open for further replies.