Fuel prices: Petrol stations face urgent review of fuel duty cut

Lee Richards

Site Supporter
Paid employees claimed nothing as its all dealt with by their employers.

There seems to be quite a few urban legends and myths growing about the furlough scheme.

davylad

Site Supporter
Has any previous governments reduced tax etc on fuel at the pumps in the last say 60 years?

Nobby_nobbs

Site Supporter
i am retired so don’t know all the rules.
but surely you can’t work from home(getting paid) and claim furlough money at same time(getting paid) .?
Stupid as it sounds yes you could if you were on furlough from your normal place of work, you were allowed to get another job provided it was sanctioned by your company and there was no conflict of interest.

Yorkieboy70

Site Supporter
Stupid as it sounds yes you could if you were on furlough from your normal place of work, you were allowed to get another job provided it was sanctioned by your company and there was no conflict of interest.
We had a fair few join the agency that were on furlough from working in pubs. Getting 80% of wages + up to 40 hours working. Some made a lot of money.

solwood

Site Supporter
Furlough meant you couldn't work for your employer that claimed furlough

You could work elsewhere

Later on your employer could part furlough you, so if the business was slow in returning to normal you worked part time and part furlough

For me it ultimately led to redundancy as they wanted to change my job considerably in a way i was unhappy with. So successful was this change the person that replaced me left, as did the person that replaced then and the one that replaced them!!

I had expected to retire there!

Last edited by a moderator:

Keith Sparky

Site Supporter
£2.00 per litre =

Cost of petrol to supplier - 90p
Fuel duty - 58p
Vat - 34p
Biofuel content - 14p
Retailer's profit - 4p

£1.06 per litre is nothing to do with the fuel companies
This is one example of hundreds of complex taxation debates. While we have a general public that cannot stomach an upfront adult conversation as to what levels of direct and indirect taxation are appropriate to provide our key public services , defense spending , infrastructure spending etc... we will forever get an ever more complex tax system as no one votes for a party that has in its manifesto or campaigns on our door steps for higher taxation. So we get smoke and mirrors from all sides of the political spectrum and debate and analysis of policy is dumbed down so thicko's from thicko land can believe every monetary policy can be condensed into adding it up on their 8 and a bit fingers. So lets simply remove the £1.06 per litre and replace the income from where ? NI ?, Personal Tax ?, Corporation Tax ? , but lets be upfront when doing so.

Arry

Aitch, Cantankerous old gimmer with "Views"
Site Supporter
This is one example of hundreds of complex taxation debates. While we have a general public that cannot stomach an upfront adult conversation as to what levels of direct and indirect taxation are appropriate to provide our key public services , defense spending , infrastructure spending etc... we will forever get an ever more complex tax system as no one votes for a party that has in its manifesto or campaigns on our door steps for higher taxation. So we get smoke and mirrors from all sides of the political spectrum and debate and analysis of policy is dumbed down so thicko's from thicko land can believe every monetary policy can be condensed into adding it up on their 8 and a bit fingers. So lets simply remove the £1.06 per litre and replace the income from where ? NI ?, Personal Tax ?, Corporation Tax ? , but lets be upfront when doing so.
Great idea... but... and its a biggie... those on low incomes would pay a lower rate of tax/NI... whereas... if the duty/vat is on fuel those on lower incomes pay the same rate of duty /vat as a millionaire...