Frustration with the Angling Trust.

Peter

'Mugger'
Staff member
Site Supporter
Just been looking at the Angling Trust website in particular the Team England page where it proudly proclaims "The Angling Trust is the National Governing Body for elite angling in England and is responsible for Team England’s participation in international international events home and abroad."

Clicking through the links to the various teams, all the information on there is horribly out of date.

The Nations World Team England link takes you to a report of last years event, no mention of this years event being held in Croatia in a couple of weeks time, despite some of the Team Members having already travelled over there to begin practicing.

The European Team England showing nothing more than...........

FIPSED 26TH WORLD COARSE ANGLING CHAMPIONSHIP FOR EUROPEAN IS CANCELLED AND POSTPONED IN 2020 TO 2021.

FURTHER UPDATES FROM FIPSED AVAILABLE AT A LATER DATE FOR 2021.

This despite the England Team winning the 2022 European Championship Team Gold medal as well as an Individual Bronze Medal.

No mentions either of the results from the Under25's, Under 20's or Under 15's teams in their World Championships in Slovenia earlier this month.

The Ladies Team still shows their JJL sponsorship which is no longer in place and no mention of the Ladies World Championships that the Team has fished earlier this year in France.

How the Hell do the Trust expect to attract any Sponsorship (which is badly needed) for all of the International Teams when they can't be bothered to update their own web pages for the teams. IMO it's just bloody shoddy and badly letting down the members of the respective Teams who are now representing their Country at no small cost to themselves.:mad:

Dave Spence

MD virtual champion 2020. Golden Pie winner 2018.
Site Supporter
Just been looking at the Angling Trust website in particular the Team England page where it proudly proclaims "The Angling Trust is the National Governing Body for elite angling in England and is responsible for Team England’s participation in international international events home and abroad."

Clicking through the links to the various teams, all the information on there is horribly out of date.

The Nations World Team England link takes you to a report of last years event, no mention of this years event being held in Croatia in a couple of weeks time, despite some of the Team Members having already travelled over there to begin practicing.

The European Team England showing nothing more than...........

FIPSED 26TH WORLD COARSE ANGLING CHAMPIONSHIP FOR EUROPEAN IS CANCELLED AND POSTPONED IN 2020 TO 2021.

FURTHER UPDATES FROM FIPSED AVAILABLE AT A LATER DATE FOR 2021.

This despite the England Team winning the 2022 European Championship Team Gold medal as well as an Individual Bronze Medal.

No mentions either of the results from the Under25's, Under 20's or Under 15's teams in their World Championships in Slovenia earlier this month.

The Ladies Team still shows their JJL sponsorship which is no longer in place and no mention of the Ladies World Championships that the Team has fished earlier this year in France.

How the Hell do the Trust expect to attract any Sponsorship (which is badly needed) for all of the International Teams when they can't be bothered to update their own web pages for the teams. IMO it's just bloody shoddy and badly letting down the members of the respective Teams who are now representing their Country at no small cost to themselves.:mad:
What cost is borne by the anglers Peter?

Dave Spence

Site Supporter
Des Shipp reckoned that the last world Championship he fished cost him in excess of £3000 of his own money.
Can you imagine the Olympians having to pay their own way.

Peter

'Mugger'
Staff member
Site Supporter
I did notice that for the first time at the European Championships as far as I'm aware the Anglers that fished each had their own Sponsors logos on the left sleeve of their Team England shirts.
Sensas sponsor the team with Groundbait and that's it as far as I'm aware.

Preston Innovations sponsor the England Feeder Team.

Guru sponsor the England Under 15's Team and the Coarse England Talent Pathway.

Sensas sponsor the England Under 20's Team

NoCarpPlease

Site Supporter
I can understand that the website now plays second fiddle to the facebook competitions page ... so why not just provide a link to that?

It does appear a little haphazard ...

Dave Spence

Site Supporter
I can understand that the website now plays second fiddle to the facebook competitions page ... so why not just provide a link to that?

I hate the fact that, if I want to keep up to date with stuff, I have to have an FB account. Tried it once and it was hacked within 3 days and i received 1500 e mails from people asking to be my friend, never again.

Peter

'Mugger'
Staff member
Site Supporter

If you proclaim yourself as "The Angling Trust is the National Governing Body for elite angling in England" and can't even manage basic updates to your own website then you and the people who administer/run that website are not fit for purpose. :mad: As for relying on a 3rd party social media page over which you have very little real control.................words fail me. :mad:

NoCarpPlease

Site Supporter
I hate the fact that, if I want to keep up to date with stuff, I have to have an FB account. Tried it once and it was hacked within 3 days and i received 1500 e mails from people asking to be my friend, never again.
I was under the impression that you can view information on faceache without having an account (unlike Twitter - which puts a warning banner up to block other than the first couple of tweets) ... but that may have changed.🤷‍♂️

If you proclaim yourself as "The Angling Trust is the National Governing Body for elite angling in England" and can't even manage basic updates to your own website then you and the people who administer/run that website are not fit for purpose. :mad: As for relying on a 3rd party social media page over which you have very little real control.................words fail me. :mad:
Absolutely agree - but given that majority of match anglers now seem to communicate on facebook ... that is where I'd put the limited effort.

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
Precisely.

Ive been in contact with the BBC and several other media outlets recently asking why no coverage of the England teams fishing the World championships, even more so the U25's, U20's, U15's and more recently the England Ladies, and no response.

If our supposed governing body cant be bothered to promote them then there is no hope in all reality.
I did see a mention of the England Ladies Carp team fishing the World Carp Championships, in The Telegraph, which I suppose is better than nothing.
It is disappointing though with the amount of effort and the results gained by all the teams and I feel that if the AT cannot be bothered to push at this time, especially with the media's promotion of other sports, then what hope have we?

Last edited:

chris1967

Really Really
Site Supporter
Been fishing matches for as long as I can remember and I have never looked on angling trust’s website and if what they do wasn’t explained on here I wouldn’t have a clue .
Although full credit to them for their efforts through lockdown

Peter

'Mugger'
Staff member
Site Supporter
Absolutely agree - but given that majority of match anglers now seem to communicate on facebook ... that is where I'd put the limited effort.
If a "National Governing Body" is reliant on Facebook to reach it's target audience then it really isn't fit for purpose. :mad:

Take a look at The Angling Trust page. There's not a lot of coarse competition news on it and what there is is often shared from other pages.

Total

Site Supporter
Have been saying for ages The AT sadly ain't fit for purpose....Full of bluster, self promotion and actually very little action....When they take on average a week plus to show results from their promoted matches, just as an example, bells start ringing....:(

Arry

Aitch, Cantankerous old gimmer with "Views"
Site Supporter
I
Personally I feel that ATs involvement with international/domestic comps is misplaced... its one of the reasons I don't support them... their direct responsibility is to the anglers and waters of this country... not promoting international and domestic matches... get on the EA's case and take it to parliament about the state of our waterways... a far better use of the members money... maybe then I'd support them

buygoodtackle

Site Supporter
I
Personally I feel that ATs involvement with international/domestic comps is misplaced... its one of the reasons I don't support them... their direct responsibility is to the anglers and waters of this country... not promoting international and domestic matches... get on the EA's case and take it to parliament about the state of our waterways... a far better use of the members money... maybe then I'd support them
This was produced in September 2021 -Time to fix the broken water sector
There has also been a water monitoring campaign with kits provided, lots of things the AT are doing but granted they are not very good at publicising them effectively.

Yosemite Sam

Site Supporter
What cost is borne by the anglers Peter?
All of it Dave. Des Shipp quit as it was costing him 3k plus of his own money just to do the World Championships. There’s European and various other internationals to consider as well. I bet that is part of the reason for Alan ScotThorne retiring from England duty also. He is from Yorkshire after all.

JLK

I don't think I've met a match angler yet that supports what the AT are about.
They don't even put up the list of results from all the competition's they host that you have to be a member of to fish.
Unbelievably shoddy outfit.
Just look at the current crop of YouTube videos they have put up and comments are always disabled. I wonder why?🤔🤷🏻‍♂️

Dave Spence

Site Supporter
I was under the impression that you can view information on faceache without having an account (unlike Twitter - which puts a warning banner up to block other than the first couple of tweets) ... but that may have changed.🤷‍♂️

You may be right mate and I’m probably doing it wrong but, every time I try to look at something on FB it gives me a snippet and then tells me to log in or create an account if I want to continue reading.