Frustration losing fish on pole

ianmb0

Hi i am new to this forum and not sure whether this is the right place to post this,, but i desperately need some help.
I was hoping somebody may highlight what i am doing wrong.
I have been fishing pole for approx 2 years now and caught many fish, but, I seem to be losing more than i catch.
pole shimano speedmaster a.. top 2 kits with side pullers. various elastics from hollow 8/12 to 14/6.... various makes.

I am referring to the larger stamp of fish hooked.
When fishing margin or open water, i hook into a fish. The fish bolts and keeps on running toward the the other side of the lake.
I attempt to add extra sections to the pole, but usually the fish has got "off" the hook before i have reacted. Sometimes the elastic has reached full stretch when losing the fish. Sometimes the fish is still running and mysteriously disappears. On the majority of occasions the rig is still in place.

I have had a few where line snaps, scale on hook, elastic snaps etc., but obviously these are explainable... angler error. foul hook. equipment error etc.....

I have watched many videos on Youtube to try and better understand "how to play a large carp" keep the pole low. put tip under the water, lift pole etc......
but nothing which shows what to do if a fish decides to bolt off away from you.

AM I doing something wrong when initially hooking the fish which cause them to bolt off....?? I can't believe i am foul hooking all of them.... It seems to consistant that the fish bolt off in the opposite direction to where i am sitting.... why don' t they bolt toward me.??

I have concluded that it must be my technique or "lack off"

I have tried various makes, patterns of eyed barbless hooks from size 12 up to 18. In summer months i am fishing in average 4ft of water. 6" hooklength 015 line. various floats 4x10 to a max of 4x14. various shotting patterns.
Plumbing to fish bottom +/- 2".
Mostly fishing expanders, soft pellet, hard pellet, sweet corn, with micros, groundbait sweetcorn feed via small pole pots.
I minimise length from pole to float, dependent on wind.

Thanks in anticipation

At the moment now when i hook a fish I just freeze ,with the tip about 1ft above the water and wait to establish what the fish is going todo. If it goes away from me i just wait and hope..... when fishing about 11 metres i don't find it easy to add extra sections..

Neil ofthe nene

Doing things differently.
Site Supporter
Welcome to the forum

First off, most of the time you have fish you cannot stop they are foulhooked. This can sometimes be reduced by cutting back on the feed and/or feeding a larger bait, e.g. 6 mils instead of micros.

In my opinion though there are only three things to look at, hooks, line and elastic. Now, my advice will be contrary to many so like all advice you haver to sift through it and take what seems right to you, or try everything and make your own mind up.

Hooks. If your hooks are not straightening then they would appear to be strong enough. if they are straightening then you need something stronger but not necessarily larger. Sometimes smaller hooks are better as there is less leverage from point to bend.

Line. 0.15 to me is not enough. I use a minimum of 0.17 when targeting larger carp in the margins or open water. I would step up to 0.19 if necessary.

Elastics. This is where I really do differ from the crowd. I would step up to a solid 18-20. I know many say the harder you pull the harder they pull asnd soft elastics are not felt by the fish. I don't subscribe to that theory and the fish you are hooking have not read that book. I would rather stop the fish before it gets up speed. Of course the pole needs to be strong enough to handle not only the overall pull but also the shock loading of the intial reaction.

And yes, burying the pole tip, applying side strain should work. But I am not an advocate of adding sections most of the time. That just means the fish is further out before you lose it.

Maesknoll

Chris
Staff member
Site Supporter
Sounds like foul hookers to me, a fish will turn if it’s mouth hooked.

I can probably count on one hand the number of times I have added sections, I have caught plenty of double figure carp on a topkit, with no need to add sections.

This time of the year carp aren’t line shy, in the margins if expecting big fish I would be using 0.22 rig line and 0.19 hooklength, with a Guru Super Strong hook. If I’m fishing where the fish (or only odd ones) don’t go above double figures then that’s reduced to 0.19/0.17 and a Kaizen hook.

Open water will be 0.19 and a 0.15 or 0.17 hooklength and either Kaizen or LWG (eyed for hair rigged bands) on the pole, if you ever straighten any of the hooks I mention, you have foul hooked the fish.

I use soft set orange Vespe elastic for the heavier margin rig and either KND red hollow (14) or Preston Duraslip 15 or 17, all set soft. In the margins I hook the fish, immediately put the pole tip under the water and let it swim out of the margin, then using the puller get it under control. In open water I still keep the pole tip low and once back to the top kit that is under water until lifting to pop the fish up for netting, for this I will be using Preston Duraslip 13 or 15, or KND green hollow which about 12-14.

I have no idea how anyone who uses heavy elastic lands many fish (but they do)I have tried it and just get hook pulls, I use soft set elastic and don’t lose many.

OldTaff

Site Supporter
I am very new to pole fishing but primarily fish a carp only water with the bulk of fish in the 5lb bracket and surprise loonies up around 14lb

I am fishing 0.19 n-gauge rigs to 0.17 hooklengths and Kaizens and elastics are either Dura Hybrid 13 or 15 depending on the top kit set fairly soft.

To date I’ve been duffed up by one - hurtled me into a submerged tree - and I do everything @Maesknoll does, all learned from YouTube tutorials, although I’ve got pulla bungs not side pullers.

Wouldn't even try to add sections but rather submerge the tip, apply side strain, strip elastic as necessary and net first time.

Foul hookers have been suggested so I’d investigate that option

sporty

Site Supporter
I would also echo foulhooking and add be mindful of not just feed amounts but also to present your bait on the edge of the feed area or a foot or two away from the main feed area .Carp are big clumsy fish that will swim into your line and rigs particularly when pole fishing .

Neil ofthe nene

Doing things differently.
Site Supporter
Sounds like foul hookers to me, a fish will turn if it’s mouth hooked.

I can probably count on one hand the number of times I have added sections, I have caught plenty of double figure carp on a topkit, with no need to add sections.

This time of the year carp aren’t line shy, in the margins if expecting big fish I would be using 0.22 rig line and 0.19 hooklength, with a Guru Super Strong hook. If I’m fishing where the fish (or only odd ones) don’t go above double figures then that’s reduced to 0.19/0.17 and a Kaizen hook.

Open water will be 0.19 and a 0.15 or 0.17 hooklength and either Kaizen or LWG (eyed for hair rigged bands) on the pole, if you ever straighten any of the hooks I mention, you have foul hooked the fish.

I use soft set orange Vespe elastic for the heavier margin rig and either KND red hollow (14) or Preston Duraslip 15 or 17, all set soft. In the margins I hook the fish, immediately put the pole tip under the water and let it swim out of the margin, then using the puller get it under control. In open water I still keep the pole tip low and once back to the top kit that is under water until lifting to pop the fish up for netting, for this I will be using Preston Duraslip 13 or 15, or KND green hollow which about 12-14.

I have no idea how anyone who uses heavy elastic lands many fish (but they do)I have tried it and just get hook pulls, I use soft set elastic and don’t lose many.
I have stopped trying to figure out how I land fish from a couple of ounces to double figures on heavy elastic. But as you say, I do.