Frustrating day yesterday.....I’m after your help!

chris1967

Site Supporter
I agree, a pole is the correct equipment for this venue 😄
any who still waiting for a non sponsored anglers review of said new pole ,more interested on how it performs on lumps ,have you had time to use it yet mate

chris1967

Site Supporter
I'd have probably swapped to straight lead and either cast slightly short or to the left or right .

Alantherose

Site Supporter
Remember with them (apart from the maggot feeder) you use a heavy short 3-4” Hooklength, and bury the hook bait in the pellets/groundbait that you put on the feeder, or just leave it partially exposed for quick bites 👍 You do still use a short Hooklength with the maggot feeder , but obviously you can’t bury the bait 👍
How short do you go with maggot feeder Gaz? I usually start at 12"

chefster

Shedster!!
Site Supporter
How short do you go with maggot feeder Gaz? I usually start at 12"
On the inline(elasticated) one start at 6 inches , if I’m just getting knocks but no proper pull round bites, I go shorter ....I fish it same a method really , not like a traditional maggot feeder

tincatim

Site Supporter
A short hooklength with a method/hybrid type feeder will improve hook ups for sure. But to pick up on the original question of fishing a cage feeder in the traditional way, could it be that you need a lighter tip? If you were fishing with maggots on the hook then you would likely be inviting bites from silvers not just carp. If you had a heavier quiver tip then the bites will appear as little knocks and rattles. The fish will often pick the maggots up and drop them or suck them before feeling the resistance and releasing. You have to be lightening quick to hit them. A more sensitive set up will give you time to see the bite develop on the tip.

Roger_feederer

Site Supporter
A short Hooklength of 4” , acts as a bolt rig .... hook bait is right in the pile of bait, fish just suck up bait and hook themselves 💁‍♂️Also more accurate to cast , can get in tight to features, as no long Hooklength trailing every where
Even less if fishery rules allow, 2inch is my prefered. And you want the 'ook pointing upwards to where the fishes mouth will be.

Alantherose

Site Supporter
On the inline(elasticated) one start at 6 inches , if I’m just getting knocks but no proper pull round bites, I go shorter ....I fish it same a method really , not like a traditional maggot feeder
Hi mate, tried this today- too windy for waggles, so went inline maggot feeder, 6" hooklength and 2 maggots... Ide, Ide and more big Ide (plus one tench!) Guess it works :p

chefster

Shedster!!
Site Supporter
Hi mate, tried this today- too windy for waggles, so went inline maggot feeder, 6" hooklength and 2 maggots... Ide, Ide and more big Ide (plus one tench!) Guess it works :p
That’s what it’s all about mate, giving something a go, and it’s great when it works👍👍now you’re confident it does work , if next time out you have problems, tweak it , try different h/l, maybe banding a bunch of maggots etc 👍👍👍well done Alan

Alantherose

Site Supporter
That’s what it’s all about mate, giving something a go, and it’s great when it works👍👍now you’re confident it does work , if next time out you have problems, tweak it , try different h/l, maybe banding a bunch of maggots etc 👍👍👍well done Alan
Bites were proper wraps too... I went with a fairly hefty h/l as there are carp to 16lbs where we were, but they weren't showing today. Weather must still be a bit temperamental for the big fellas atm ;)

chefster

Shedster!!
Site Supporter
Bites were proper wraps too... I went with a fairly hefty h/l as there are carp to 16lbs where we were, but they weren't showing today. Weather must still be a bit temperamental for the big fellas atm ;)
Waters still too cold probably mate , but you still had a good day by the sounds of it, short Hooklength see 👍👍

Alantherose

Site Supporter
Waters still too cold probably mate , but you still had a good day by the sounds of it, short Hooklength see 👍👍
Might have been a different story if I had fished method with micros, but still caught well. Felt like some of the bites were happening the moment the feeder hit the water- would never have noticed that with a 12" hooklength :oops:

chefster

Shedster!!
Site Supporter
Might have been a different story if I had fished method with micros, but still caught well. Felt like some of the bites were happening the moment the feeder hit the water- would never have noticed that with a 12" hooklength :oops:
I think you did the right thing going for maggot feeder with the water being so cold 👍hybrid/method with micros when it warms up a bit,then maybe method with groundbait in summer 👍 remember though 4” Hooklength with that 👍

Stewie74

Site Supporter
Last weekend I fished a maggot feeder most of the day at a local commercial, 12 inch hooklength, had a sackful of carp from 1-6lb, anglers around me were struggling for bites on pole with corn and meat.

Hadnt considered a shorter hooklength, will give it a go 👍

chefster

Shedster!!
Site Supporter
Last weekend I fished a maggot feeder most of the day at a local commercial, 12 inch hooklength, had a sackful of carp from 1-6lb, anglers around me were struggling for bites on pole with corn and meat.

Hadnt considered a shorter hooklength, will give it a go 👍
If you caught well, fishing a longer Hooklength was obviously the way on the day mate 👍👍that’s what it’s all about trying to get it right on the day 👍👍well done mate