Frustrating day on the feeder

nejohn

Site Supporter
It is no secret that I don't particularly like feeder fishing, but today I decided that I was going to bite the bullet and have a session on the feeder. I choose a peg that had a lily bed either side of me that went to about 1.5 rod lengths from the bank but more importantly there was an island with another small lily bed around 25-30 yards in front of me. The edge of this lily bed I decided would be my target area. For bait I decided to use the same approach as I would if I fished a waggler to the near bank lily beds, so it was a piece of bread flake about the size of a 20p piece on a size 14 hook with a cage feeder loaded with liquidised bread and maggots packed in with a little coarse white ground bait. My casting was unnervingly accurate with every cast dropping within 2ft of the corner of the lily bed with out even using the line clip. It was now that things started going pear shaped, I was getting lots of bits but just couldn't hit them, I tried everything, striking at every little knock right through to sitting on my hands and waiting for a more positive bite but I was still only hitting about 1 in 5 bites, and to make it worse the lily beds at my feet were alive with fish but I persevered and after about 4 hours had about a dozen F1's and bream in the net. I finally relented and reached for the waggler rod for the last hour when I added a further 15ish F1's and a couple of small Tench to my keepnet. If only I had fished the waggler all day.. Hmmn
I won't be beaten and will give the feeder another go next time I fish.... Any advice on how to hit the bloody bites..!!

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
I wouldn’t have a clue and imagine i’d have the same problem!

Apart from one reservoir session all my tip fishing has always been on rivers or at sea. Like you I much prefer float fishing and do it whenever its the best option which is mostly but not always the case on rivers but apart from that reservoir I’ve never felt the need to deviate from the float on stillwaters. I’ve often wondered how on earth you hit most your bites on the tip when fish don’t have a bit of flow behind them, even the 5-6lb bream on that reservoir didn’t give as positive bites as a 5-6oz skimmer would on the river. Probably going to do some more reservoir fishing next closed season so need to figure it out lol

nejohn

Site Supporter
Tip sensitivity ok?
Yes I was using a 1.5 once tip, I was seeing the bites OK it was just hitting them that caused the problems..! No doubt some of them were line bites but difficult to tell. Even the bites I hit were not consistent some were just pulls and others were real wrap arounds

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
I like using maggots on a 16 hook when I feeder fish. Imagine the fish are poking at the bread?

nejohn

Site Supporter
I like using maggots on a 16 hook when I feeder fish. Imagine the fish are poking at the bread?
I tried maggots but got pestered by tiny perch also tried corn and banded pellets but the bites dried up, went back on to bread flake and was getting bites again

robert d

Allways trying to improve
Site Supporter
It is no secret that I don't particularly like feeder fishing, but today I decided that I was going to bite the bullet and have a session on the feeder. I choose a peg that had a lily bed either side of me that went to about 1.5 rod lengths from the bank but more importantly there was an island with another small lily bed around 25-30 yards in front of me. The edge of this lily bed I decided would be my target area. For bait I decided to use the same approach as I would if I fished a waggler to the near bank lily beds, so it was a piece of bread flake about the size of a 20p piece on a size 14 hook with a cage feeder loaded with liquidised bread and maggots packed in with a little coarse white ground bait. My casting was unnervingly accurate with every cast dropping within 2ft of the corner of the lily bed with out even using the line clip. It was now that things started going pear shaped, I was getting lots of bits but just couldn't hit them, I tried everything, striking at every little knock right through to sitting on my hands and waiting for a more positive bite but I was still only hitting about 1 in 5 bites, and to make it worse the lily beds at my feet were alive with fish but I persevered and after about 4 hours had about a dozen F1's and bream in the net. I finally relented and reached for the waggler rod for the last hour when I added a further 15ish F1's and a couple of small Tench to my keepnet. If only I had fished the waggler all day.. Hmmn
I won't be beaten and will give the feeder another go next time I fish.... Any advice on how to hit the bloody bites..!!
Try shortening the hooklengths, can make a difference

Silver fan 82

Shorter hooklinks is a good bet. Ive also resorted to holding the rod while resting it on my lap and almost touch ledgering still while watching the tip. I found that being able to "feel" the bite has helped.

robert d

Allways trying to improve
Site Supporter
Started at around 18 inches, ended at around 6 inches.. Just dam frustrating
Bread can be hard on the feeder as loads of tiny fish can peck at the edges ,it drives me mad sometimes, i try to use pellets or dumbell type baits now from 4mm upwards . I have had success on bayonet with bread but again tiny fish drive you around the bend sometimes 😁 or of course maggot ,castor or worm

Total

Site Supporter
You mention "Bread flake" on the hook.....Shallow punch two or three pieces (an 8 or 10mm will do it) on a hair with a quick stop should sort it....Vary number of pieces on hair to sort the size of the fish....And hang on to your rod....:whistle:;)

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
I tried maggots but got pestered by tiny perch also tried corn and banded pellets but the bites dried up, went back on to bread flake and was getting bites again

Had a day like that somewhere last winter, full of small Roach so I couldn't fish maggot, tried pellet and corn and couldn't get a bite.

MartinWY

Site Supporter
I can't get on with bread at all well, especially not on feeder. Half the time I don't think its even on the hook more than 20 seconds before floating off and other half, its nibbled away at by tiny stuff. Hair rigging I could try I guess.

One thing I have on my list is to try out some imitation bread, where allowed. Anyone had any luck with it?

Cobweb

Site Supporter
Yes I was using a 1.5 once tip, I was seeing the bites OK it was just hitting them that caused the problems..! No doubt some of them were line bites but difficult to tell. Even the bites I hit were not consistent some were just pulls and others were real wrap arounds
Had something similar on my 1.5oz tip a few weeks back getting small tip movements and missing. Switched to a 0.75oz tip. No problems after that on that day

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
Play around with the hooklength - if you think about it an 18inch hooklength can give the fish nigh on 3ft of movement with the bait before registering anything on the tip, whereas a 4inch hooklength reduces that down to 8inch of movement.

Sometimes a longer hooklength is needed when feeder fishing especially if the fish are off the bottom, or if there is a bed of fine silt.
If they're off the bottom a longer hooklength can produce bites on the drop, the difference between when the feeder settles to how long it takes for the hook and bait to follow.
Likewise there is no point using a long hooklength if the fish have their heads down and feeding from the feeder.

Tip sensitivity has a lot to play as well, a stiffer tip might show the delicate bites but can also result in dropped bites as well if the fish feel resistance.
Whereas a finer tip will offer less resistance and less effort is needed to move it therefore creating more positive bites.

nejohn

Site Supporter
I think my problem may have been the bread flake, I was not having a problem seeing bites it was actually hitting them that was the issue. I tried varying my hook length, went to a bigger hook, smaller bread flake, larger bread flake and still no consistency in hitting bites. I think a lot of the bites may have been smaller fish. I will probably try a different bait next time and live with not getting as many bites... It's just the larger fish in that lake do like a piece of bread flake..!

rudd

Site Supporter
I think my problem may have been the bread flake, I was not having a problem seeing bites it was actually hitting them that was the issue. I tried varying my hook length, went to a bigger hook, smaller bread flake, larger bread flake and still no consistency in hitting bites. I think a lot of the bites may have been smaller fish. I will probably try a different bait next time and live with not getting as many bites... It's just the larger fish in that lake do like a piece of bread flake..!
Just fish a bomb and flake - no loose feed.
Your mentioned groundbait mix is a recipe for attracting minnows 😉