Front wheel alignment/tracking

endpeg

I've had my Peugeot 307 in to one of the big tyre garages today for front wheel alignment/tracking, as the tyres are wearing on the outside edges
The guy has said they can't adjust it as there's not enough travel on the track rod end on the o/s?
I've looked at home and the o/s is wound right in with no thread visible but the n/s has plenty thread visible.
Anyone know what he's on about as to why it can't be adjusted?
Thanks

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
More likely than not the steering rack has been replaced at some point and the steering wheel is 360 degrees out of alignment.
Both track rod ends will need winding to an equal distance, the steering wheel centering, and then the adjustments made

Arry

Aitch, Cantankerous old gimmer with "Views"
Site Supporter
I had thT issue with my Cmax, took it to Universal tyres they said the same thing... went to a local independent and they sorted it and said they (universal) were after fitting new track rods

D

Deleted member 23692

@Dave I’m making you my apprentice 🤓

Totally agree with all above, you must have different lock from side to side as well, which must make parking interesting.

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
For my sins I spent a lot of time under or in motors when I was younger :)

If the pay is more than £6.00 an hour and two hobnobs, count me in :D

endpeg

It's not had a steering rack, whilst I've had it 6yrs now.
Its had both track rod ends replaced but not at the same time.
Think one was changed last mot in April.

D

Deleted member 23692

The track rod ends should both be the same length, they may be handed in the way they are shaped but they should be absolutely the same length, even aftermarket are so close to the original it’s a non issue. Have you had the bottom arms changed? I’d also be asking the question if they fitted a track rod end last year, surely they would have done the alignment then and had the same problem.

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
I'd say the garage that did it didn't do a good job of it then - either that or you've got the wrong part on

endpeg

Nothing changed other than the track rod end, it failed MOT so told them to change it so I could have it back the same day dont know if they tracked it up?