From fresh to Sea

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bretty

I have always fresh water fished, but this saturday a friend is taking me to the local beach (Lowestoft), for a bit of beach fishing, anyone got any tips on how to make sure i don't make a complete a*** of myself when casting etc, can I use the same style as i do when fresh water fishing?

Bretticus Maximus

Last edited:

teepee

12/04/02 - 10/01/19
In Memoriam
Hiya Bretty, not into sea fishing myself, but i'm sure someone will be able to give you a few tips,

as regards using same style as you do for fresh water fishing, i think you'll need a longer pole![:D][:D][:p][:D][:D]

teepee.

granjuiceymoose

'Grinch'
Lol i think its pretty much the same. Just welly it as far as the eye can see lol. Need a really strong rod though some of those weights are HUGE [;)] www.go-fishing.co.uk/UK_Sea_Fishing/ dont know if thats any help a few links. Good Luck

Tight lines [:D]

G

Bretty first of all a few [?]ns for you

What rod will you be using
What type of reel will you be using

What's the sea bed like, rough, sandy or kelp.

Your mate, how long has he been sea fishing, if he is an old hand he will keep you right,,

Rigs and baits,
When sea fishing i prefere to use the PULLY RIG, the basics of this rig, if you are lucky enough to get a big un on, the weight of the fish pulls the lead free of the bottom, helping avoid getting four lead in any snares,its called a pully rig because you have your lead line and hook line connected thru a rolling swivel, you have to have a bait clip on your weight for this to work.

Baits, take a selection, fresh lug worm,ragworm,squid, razor fish and if you can peeler crab, cannot go wrong with that little lot mate.

Casting, dont cast as a freshwater angler, have a go at the overhead cast, that might be the easiest for you, then again your mate should give you a few hints,.

Hope this is a little help to you mate,

BTWdont be scared of making an a**e of yourself, hands up any of us who havent, mines firmly down[:I][:I][:I][:I]

Good luck on your outing, and one more thing Bretty be safe,its a big pond you are fishing im mate

catch me if u can
Andy,

Steve

Hi Bretty,

If I were you I would use a simple running ledgerwith a 3' hook length or a 2 hook paternoster rig, you will find a number of ways of creating the rig by typing "paternoster rig" in any search engine, or try this http://www.ssal.fishermen.co.uk/rigs/shore/shore_rigs.htm

The paternoster rig will give you two advantages. Firstly you will be using two hooks, which will create a better scent trail and draw more fish into your area and obviously twice the chance of catching.

Secondly you will be able to cast from the ground easily, which is a good cast for a beginner as the weight will be on the end of the rig. I hope this bit makes sense.

You will need a shock leader equal to 10lbs of breaking strain for every ounce you are casting plus 10lbs for knot strength. So if you are using a 4oz lead, use a 50 lb leader.

The leader will need to be long enough to go around your reel about eight turns, down the length of the rod and then about 10 feet beyond that.

Place the weight on the ground behind you, if the ground is pebbles put a newspaper on the floor trapped by big stones at each corner and put the weight on that (it will be less likely to snag), if it's shingle or sand don't bother.

For a right hand caster.
Walk forwards towards the sea pointing the rod tip directly at the lead. Keep walking until the line is taught (without moving the lead) until your left hand, which will be holding the butt of the rod is next to your right shoulder. Your right hand should be near the reel seat and your right arm outstretched and parallel with the rod.

You should now be standing sideways with your left leg facing the sea and your right leg facing the lead up the beach. The rod butt should be at about head height and the rod tip pointing down towards the lead with the line tight between the rod tip and the lead.

You are now ready to cast. Drive the rod tip skyward so as the rod is fully compressed (maximum bend), just before your right hand is above your head really punch the rod untill it is at about 45 degrees and let the line go, don't move the rod from that position until the lead hits the water. A lot of distance can be lost if you do.

Having said that you will no doubt be going after Whiting and early Codling (assuming there are any Cod left) and they usually patrol the gulleys that run parallel with the beach. It is very easy to cast over their heads and onto a shallower sand bar, so distance isn't always every thing.

I like to use lug worm tipped with a small piece of mackerel as hook bait.

I hope that helps.

Fishermen have more fun than people do!

Steve

Bretty

Thanks a lot guys, everything is a great help that you have written. My friend is lending me all his sea fishing gear so thats ok. I will be taking a camera so I will show you all if your advice helped me in my quest.
Thanks again guys.

Bretticus Maximus

Status
Not open for further replies.