Friday again - Is anyone off fishing at the weekend?

satinet

I fished today at Napton Reservoir. Big fat blank and very wet and cold.

I couldn't get maggots locally so I think that was part of the problem.

Zerkalo

I fished today at Napton Reservoir. Big fat blank and very wet and cold.

I couldn't get maggots locally so I think that was part of the problem.

Is there much in there other than Tench? I thought it was a Tench venue so was surprised when I walked round there around last New Year to see loads of bivvies out on a freezing cold windswept day.

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Is there much in there other than Tench? I thought it was a Tench venue so was surprised when I walked round there around last New Year to see loads of bivvies out on a freezing cold windswept day.
Roach, bream, carp, tench, crucians according to the guy from the leamington club when I spoke to him at the big one show. Poor sod reeled off everything about their venues to sell it to me before he actually asked whether I lived nearby or not ?

Zerkalo

Roach, bream, carp, tench, crucians according to the guy from the leamington club when I spoke to him at the big one show. Poor sod reeled off everything about their venues to sell it to me before he actually asked whether I lived nearby or not ?

Ah I didn't realise. It was going to be my Tench venue despite being an hour and 20 away from me until I found another one by chance 15 minutes from me. Still might fish it for Tench next year...

satinet

I think a normal mix of fish small fish and it is known for tench as you say. The carpers have got some pretty big fish to go for. There are a few 30s apparently. But it's not a bagging water by any means.

It was crazy windy. I fished in shelter on the small bit but the main lake had small waves at times.

The problem with it is a lot of the bottom is weed covered.

Zerkalo

I didn't fish Furnace Mill in the end as had a job come up later this afternoon so just went for a morning on the weir. Thought I was in for a promising day as 2 pound Chub and a 3lb Chub on 2nd, 3rd, and 4th casts. That was because I got there early though, as soon as the sky turned blue the fish disappeared. River was about normal level, have seen it lower in summer, but gin clear and very slow and calm. Could have fished a waggler it was that calm. Switched from maggot to worm in desperation later on and lost what was presumably a decent Chub to a hook pull but that was the only bite during the day.

Zerkalo

@OldTaff ":(" Thanks for the sympathy but unfortunately at this time of year, 3 Chub is the name of the game of this small weir, it would be a good day to have more than that, that's why I'm trying to get out to the commercial, Furnace Mill.

mike fox

'Just Me and the Fish'
Site Supporter
Got a 5 hour tutoring session at Danebridge tomorrow. Should be fun (not) if the weather forecast is correct.?️☔
Had a good day with the wet weather holding off and my clients getting some PB's
20201121_092244.jpg
20201121_121142.jpg

20201121_120707.jpg

rd115

Barbus Minimus
Site Supporter
Piking again most likely.

Though last 2 weekends have been blanks so probably not worth bothering, especially with the sunshine forecast tomorrow.

Last 2 times been windy too, do pike not like wind? :unsure: