Fresh start

Dave Spence

MD virtual champion 2020. Golden Pie winner 2018.
Site Supporter
Over the last few weeks I have been reading some old angling books, currently 'Ivan Marks.....The people's Champion'. Certainly brought back some memories and although very dated; "a good 27ft Roach Pole will knock you back about £30!!!!!" A lot of the stuff is certainly still relevant and the fact that Ivan was very much a thinking angler shines through on every page. It has made me question my own angling and rather than reach for the pole without any thought I am going to try the waggler on a few matches. I think it will give me a bit more versatility than a pole and the thicker tips on the wagglers will mean I can see my float at a distance of more than a top kit + 1:p

I am just in the process of cleaning all my reels and will be putting new line on in readiness for the all clear. Can anyone recommend a dealer that is a reliable source of line (I am worried about getting old stock).

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
If you are buying mainstream lines I wouldn't worry too much as those popular lines get good turnover so nothing sits too long. On the float fishing front stuff like maxima and drennan float fish and possibly daiwa sensor/hyper sensor gets sold a lot so should think most places would have fairly fresh stock.

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter

Dave Spence

Site Supporter
If you are buying mainstream lines I wouldn't worry too much as those popular lines get good turnover so nothing sits too long. On the float fishing front stuff like maxima and drennan float fish and possibly daiwa sensor/hyper sensor gets sold a lot so should think most places would have fairly fresh stock.
Maxima is my 'go to' line and has been for many years, however, I may invest is a spool of Drennan Float Fish as, from what I have heard on here, it is felt to be superior for the stick. (y)

MarkW

Maxima is my 'go to' line and has been for many years, however, I may invest is a spool of Drennan Float Fish as, from what I have heard on here, it is felt to be superior for the stick. (y)
If you can get it try Dave Harrell Match line in 3lb for the stick. I have to buy it mail order.

Dave Spence

Site Supporter
If you can get it try Dave Harrell Match line in 3lb for the stick. I have to buy it mail order.
Thanks mate, is 3lb okay? I normally go 2.5 for stick work but that's Maxima so it is probably a bit thicker. I must say I am starting to get that 'tingly' feeling again at the thought of doing some proper fishing:bounce:

MarkW

Thanks mate, is 3lb okay? I normally go 2.5 for stick work but that's Maxima so it is probably a bit thicker. I must say I am starting to get that 'tingly' feeling again at the thought of doing some proper fishing:bounce:
The 3lb DH line is 0.14mm. In an ideal world there would be a 0.125mm version breaking at about 2.25lb, perfect for the stick. For years I've used Daiwa Harrier 2.5lb for the stick on the weedier parts of the Stour, 2lb Harrier where it's less snaggy (1.7lb Bayer in the old days; find it unreliable nowadays), but my stock of 2.5 Harrier is very low - still got a box of 2lb - so I've been seeking an alternative. 3lb Syntra seemed both cheap and fit for purpose but I can no longer source it.

If line is kept boxed from the start it generally lasts years but open spools in a tackle shop are a recipe for rotten line which is what Ivan was alluding to in seeking fresh line.

adriang

Site Supporter
I'm going to try the DH line this year, exactly the same as Dave, as an alternative to Maxima 2.5. Trouble is...mail order, it's not going to be just one spool of line..