French government to outlaw burqua

Status
Not open for further replies.

gibby

Just heard on the radio this morning that the French parliament is expected to approve a ban on women wearing the burqua and/or face veils in public. Flouting the law carries a 150 Euro fine plus attendance at a community education course. Husbands or brothers who attempt to impose burquas or veils on their wives or family face up to a 30,000 Euro fine and possibly a jail sentence. The proposed law is backed across the political spectrum and also by womens groups.

What do people think? Having lived and worked in France IMHO its a good idea. The French attitude to immigrants is simple, you are welcome but you obey our rules. What you do in your own home is up to you, but in the public realm you adapt to our culture and values.

I doubt if Cameron, Clegg and co would have the bottle to implement a similar law here.

vassago

What next ??

Ban kids from wearing hoodies and caps because you can't see their faces,

Ban motorcycle helmets for the same reason ?

Ban nuns from wearing their habit

Let them wear what they want, It doesn't worry me

ukrottie

Nobby
its one thing to pass a law but inforcing it quite another. i cant see them being able to with out riots ect ect happening.

nobby478

miserable old ....
Half the French Government and the Police Unions have already said such a law would be un-workable and they all admit it would be in breach of EEC law, so I can't see it happening myself.

They would have to withdraw from the EEC to legally pass such a law.

pieman

A lot of filling stations and stores ban the wearing of crash helmets, what good for one is good for the other, illegal immigrants and terrorist have been known to hide behind the burka

gibby

Western Europe has very few taboos, but covering your face in public is one of them. Our culture must be respected on this important point. Face-covering expresses hostility, prevents social cohesion and aids crime. And it's not a religious requirement -- I'd never seen it before 9/11, despite living in south London an area with a large Muslim population.

The French love their Libert, Egalit, Fraternit and they've had enough of it being abused. We in Britain, on the other hand, pride ourselves on our tolerance and respect for other cultures. So we're a long way behind the French in standing up for our own civilisation.

I'd be much happier if people behaved reasonably without laws being passed, but the experience of the past 10 or 20 years is that the more we give in to Islamists, the more they demand. This law will probably be difficult to enforce, but you have to start somewhere, and if we had said "Enough is enough" long ago we wouldn't be in this position now.

And to answer the predictable cries of 'racism' comes the predictable answer: Islamism is an ideology, not a race. If it was only opposed by racists, they would be equally hostile to Hindus and Sikhs.

Trogg

the bouncer
Staff member
Site Supporter
Pieman, you mean like the known terrorist that was granted asylum here because he would have been killed back home...........then did some crimes here and fled the country wearing a burkha?

The garment is nothing to do with their religion it is a tribal thing and was done to control who the women associated with it has been drilled into the women that they must wear it at all times when outside the home or when they have guests and because they are forced to wear one from an early age they see it as normal but its amazing how many try to get away with not wearing it.......then get beaten for it

Hatman

Drawbag ace
Covering the face comes with practical difficulties that other fashions don't have. I use the word fashions since its only a minority of muslims that wear it (probably with the exception of bits of Afghanistan where the taliban have control), and there are plenty of muslims that dispute that their belief system requires it.

How can you verify someones identity in an interview, or at a passport control, or driving license check if the person has her (or maybe his!) face covered? Should males have to arrange for a female to be present in such circumstances? I think not, that would be discrimination and of course would cost the government and business to do.

The world would be a better place if a small number of people hadn't realised that they could exploit humanity, and gain power by inventing gods.

violator

I used to work around the corner from Selfridges and sometimes spent my lunch hour wandering around in there. Always used to chuckle when I saw a group of women in Burkas at the make-up counters.

The Saint

Paul
Site Supporter
Mind you though by the state of some of their faces their better off covered up.[;)][:T]

SteveH

Lindholme Refugee
Since when were the French ever worried about breaking EEC laws, they do what they want and the rest of the EEC either give them the right to do so unilaterally or we adapt the laws to suit France.

This is the right thing to be doing, as stated what people do in their own homes, if it does not unreasonable infringe on the rights of others or is illegal, is fine. In public, when living as an immigrant in another country, then adopt that countries rules, laws and morals. That, after all is the main reason people emigrate, because they think that country's life style is better, and would give them a better life.

I applaud the French on this one.

Col7777

I believe that when they go through passport control they go behind a screen and they have to show the face or they don't go through.

crumpercatcher

The most worrying aspect is the masses calling for the state to decide what people are permitted to wear. Unthinking morons bleating for more state interfering in daily life.

struggler

solemn chops
Around here a lot of shops ban caps and hoods, as already said a lot of petrol stations ban crash helmets.

To be honest it make me feel unerved when I see it, there is no need,
with all the sex equality in this country is it not dragging women back to the dark ages?

Good on the French [:T]

Status
Not open for further replies.