Freeview question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stephen

Yorkshire is best
Site Supporter
I have a loft TV Arial which feeds a freeview box in my sons bedroom (we have sky downstairs). If I was to get rid of sky and use a freeview box downstairs could I just put an aerial booster to split the cable to the two televisions and still receive a good signal? and would we be able to watch different programmes on the 2 TVs at the same time?

NoFinPhish

Mighty Cat Slayer
Freeview boxes are much more fussy about signal quality (as opposed to signal strength) than analogue recievers. With an analogue TV, less than ideal quality will give you a bit of snow. With a digital picture it can render it completely unwatchable.

If you put a splitter and extra cable runs in, it MIGHT degrade quality enough to give you garbage and very few channels. On the other hand, it might be fine.

The only thing you can really do is give it a try. You might find that your sons freeview box gives a reading of current signal strength and quality just to give you an idea of what your up against.

I have a splitter in the loft. It's fed from th roof aeriel and in-turn feeds one freeview bedroom TV and the downstairs dining room freeview TV. It works fine.

BUT - I used good quality co-ax meant for satellite and cable TV runs, and decent quality connectors. I also researched Freeview boxes and have a relatively good, though cheap one.

The thing to do I reckon, is buy some decent coax and cut over-length. Buy or borrow a splitter, and run the cable down the stairs for now just to see if it works.

If you put a booster in, that will not help quality.

Last edited:

NoFinPhish

Mighty Cat Slayer
Oh, another though.

Do you still have the old analogue TV point in the living room?
You could first try using that and a splitter rather than running a new cable

Not ideal as the cable run will probably be cr*ppy old TV cable and also you will introduce more connectors which will degrade quality, but worth a try as its cheap.

NoFinPhish

Mighty Cat Slayer
Noticed the second part of the question...

Yes, you would be able to see different programmes on the TVs, it's the freeview box coupled to each TV that determines what you see on that TV.

Stephen

Yorkshire is best
Site Supporter
Thanks for the advice, I think I will have ago.[:)]

little_roach

Bazzer
Agree with NoFinPhish. I have done exactly the same and used decent co-ax both pictures are perfect.

simon d

I have two freeview boxes on one aerial split with a booster and have no problemo's at all-should be fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.