Freeview HD problem

baboboy

Site Supporter
Hello everyone

Just been to see my mum. She mentioned she can no longer get any freeview HD channels. I retuned the TV and it didn't even detect any HD channels. Retuned again and it found them and you could view them. Tried the same on her recorder and it would not find the Any HD channels. By the time I'd left you couldn't view the HD channels on her tv again she says it's been like it for a few days.

Any ideas ??

davej

old hippy
Site Supporter
This might help.

Sam Vimes

Site Supporter
Where in the world is she? If she's in North Yorkshire/South Durham, it may be related to the problems with the Bilsdale transmitter.

If that isn't the case, it might be down to atmospherics or a relatively poor aerial. If the aerial is a good one, look at the prospect of degraded signal due to water ingress, cable/connector degredation or the antenna having been moved out of alignment.

baboboy

Site Supporter
She’s in Nottingham but picks her Freeview up
From the West Midlands transmitter. I wouldn’t of been overly interested apart from the fact she’s not had HS Freeview channels since weds last week.

carphauler

Maybe dodgy cabling, water ingress into the connection at the aerial or the cable, check the connection to the devices first, has it rained a lot there recently?

baboboy

Site Supporter
Been pretty automominal all week. Absolutely hammered it down all day this morning. My first thought was connection but couldn't explain why it would find normal freeview but not HD.

Sam Vimes

Site Supporter
Been pretty automominal all week. Absolutely hammered it down all day this morning. My first thought was connection but couldn't explain why it would find normal freeview but not HD.
HD channels are often at slightly different segments of the frequency range. They are normally the first to disappear if reception is degraded for any reason.

baboboy

Site Supporter
HD channels are often at slightly different segments of the frequency range. They are normally the first to disappear if reception is degraded for any reason.
I've passed on the advice. I'm going to duck she won't be best happy Aerials less then 5 years old.

carphauler

I had a similar problem , had a new aerial and cabling, 18 months later kids were complaining free view was playing up in their rooms, I've cabled sky into mine 😎, anyway, checked cable and where it had been ran down the tiles of the roof it had frayed from the wind, letting water in.
Being as the transmitter is only about a mile away, I set up an aerial in the loft and cabled it, no more problems.

Sam Vimes

Site Supporter
I've passed on the advice. I'm going to duck she won't be best happy Aerials less then 5 years old.
The aerial and cable may be fine. It may just be down slight aerial misalignment. Not too likely if it's in a normally undisturbed loft space, but external Aerials can be shifted by strong winds.

rudd

Serial Blanker
Site Supporter
Check all cables before anything else.
Due to amount of data they have to handle these days - can go wrong very easily.

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
She’s in Nottingham but picks her Freeview up
From the West Midlands transmitter. I wouldn’t of been overly interested apart from the fact she’s not had HS Freeview channels since weds last week.

Mother in law lives near Wollerton park, Nottingham and she has no issues with her freeview pal. 🤷‍♂️

Reuben

Site Supporter
Phone the Freeview helpline. They’ll be able to tell you if it’s a transmitter problem or if it’s a local fault.