Freelining

Status
Not open for further replies.

goin_fishin

'Tiddler'
Can someone please explain freelining and is it Ledgering????

because im going to my local chub venue on the river aire, im using lob worms and my cheesepaste ,
i understand i cannot really float fish it because of the cheesepaste would be far too heavy ,i cannot ledger it because i dont have a ledger rod. But could i freeline it,
i have a float rod which bend's like ought when i have a small fish on it could i use that?????

PLease some one help me
Regards
GF

g.sutcliffe

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
Hi Gary,

What you need to do is cast out and allow the current to pull the bait along. Hold the rod with one hand and with your other hand, gently allow the line to slip through your fingers. Keep the rod at roughly 45 degrees to your line and do two things. One 'feel' for the line grabbing from between your fingers and two, keep an eye on your rod tip just as you would a quiver tip.

Any chub that show interest will soon be caught using this method.
If the water is cold, don't make the paste too stiff as it will soon harden in the water. And if the water level stops rising, fish a lobworm under a wire stemmed avon type float (try Kirgate Anglers) and all being well you'll be back on here telling us what you've caught.

icon_smile.gif Dave

goin_fishin

'Tiddler'
How can you tell if the waters rising?????

if it does should i trott and if i get no bites should i keep at that or go back to the drawing board

Regards
GF

g.sutcliffe

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
Hi,

The easiest way to tell if the water is rising is put a bankstick close to the water's edge, if the water rises to it pack up, go home and put the telly on as I've never had a good day with rising water.
Now when the water starts going back down again you can get some brilliant days.
Start by fishing close to the bank and in the slacks as that is where you'll find the fish.

Dave

Status
Not open for further replies.