Freedom

Status
Not open for further replies.

midge99

60+ years ago our fathers and grandfathers fought with their lives so today we could be free.

Is it just be or are the shackles becoming tighter. This was once a free country with freedom of speech etc, how things have changed

smokers can only smoke where they are told (outside)because it is no deems anti social.

You have to be very careful what you say so you don't offend anybody other than the white English.

You have to spend time sorting your rubbish so it can be recycled or you will get a fine.

And there's more I can't think of at the moment, is this what it is like to live in a communist country or are they better off.

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
I don't know Midge but later today I'm off to my local for a 'Smoke Free' Sunday Dinner and a few pints [;)]

midge99

Dave, where there is food I have no problem with it being smoke free, there is nothing worse than some one blowing smoke over you when eating. I do agree all restaraunts should be smoke free.

Benji

Account Locked
Originally posted by midge99
Is this what it is like to live in a communist country or are they better off.

If communism actually worked, which it never has, take russia/USSR supposedly communist unless you were one of the party in which case special perks, not true communism.

I think the biggest problem with this country is people not feeling free to speak.

Enigma

Armchair Carper
Juat think if you were allowed to open a smokers only pub right now you would be minted.....

chas

Couldn't agree with you more Midge 99...and I believe it can't go on and on. Common sense seems to have gone completely out of the window, and I bristle when I read of some of the crazy decisions the (learned?) judges of this country come to! I know some of the Police are pratts, - but their job must be frustrating and made just about impossible by the paperwork and procedures they are forced to follow to bring anyone to court. It seems to me that the law is biased towards the ethnic communities these days, an innocent remark can, - if misinterpreted by a coloured person, - land you up in court (and Jail!) and it is fast getting to the stage where it is better to say absolutely nothing. But, what sort of a country will this develope into if this becomes the 'norm'? - I expect we will then be charged with 'silent contempt' or insulting behaviour or something! We're a very tolerant lot us British, live and let live has, in the main, been the attitude of ordinary Joes like you and me...but while the lawcourts persistently rule in favour of the people who seem to have a gigantic chip on their shoulders, justice and fairness will only be words that used to mean something to EVERYBODY...and not just a few.

Notts Breamer

Dave PD
It pi$$es me off when you read some out of touch judge give's a reknown pedo a suspended sentence, and then you read a granny gets 28 days inside for not paying her coucil tax.

well i dont know if anybody knows this but it is one law for us and another for the government as the mpd and so on are allowed to smoke in there bar they have got at parliment so it is one rule for us and another for them

Thom

whats this free...dom you speak of?

I reckon i should raleigh the scottish clans and act out braveheart [:D]

Columbo

What annoys me is if you speak out on immigration or the Muslims that are hell bent on bombing us etc... then you are deemed as a racist. grrrrrrrr

Notts Breamer

Dave PD
Originally posted by Columbo

What annoys me is if you speak out on immigration or the Muslims that are hell bent on bombing us etc... then you are deemed as a racist. grrrrrrrr
Sssssshhhhhhhh don't mention speaking out against Muslims, they'll be putting a death warrent out on yer, and burning flags in the street.

shimmyfish

It's not racist to speak against the muslim extremists who are intent on blowing themselves and us up, a murderer is a murderer, doesn't matter what race they are from and we have had our own fair share of murderers in this country.
It becomes racist when a blanket statement is made for all 'immigrants' to leave the country...what about our own murderers, rapists, paedo's etc....and if it's an issue about religious beliefs we should look at the Christian faith where you can become 'born again' and go to 'heaven' no matter what your previous criminal history, yet an atheist will go straight to hell, no matter how good you are.
I agree that we are seemingly less free than we were, but it's not purely because of immigration and certainly not because of Muslims.

jbfzoo

If as has been stated smoking is placing a strain on the health service and needs contolling, then should not immigration be controlled for the same reason?

John[8D]

shimmyfish

Originally posted by jbfzoo

If as has been stated smoking is placing a strain on the health service and needs contolling, then should not immigration be controlled for the same reason?

John[8D]

So do fat people, disabled people, blind, deaf...tell you what let's just ban everything!!!
Live and let live.

midge99

Originally posted by shimmyfish

So do fat people, disabled people, blind, deaf...tell you what let's just ban everything!!!
Live and let live.

shimmyfish

I am disabled but I wouldn't say I put any more strain on the health service than the next person, it has been six months since I have been near a doctor or had any medication, yes I do smoke but that is a different matter.
I do live on some benifits but unlike some I do some work to ease the burden on the poor tax payer of which I once was

shimmyfish

Midge99,
I was not having a go at anyone, I was simply pointing out to jbfzoo that his answer was silly in my opinion. I'm sorry if you felt offended.
You started this thread with some perfectly good reasons as to why you feel we are no longer free, but unfortunately it descended into blaming immigration, and Muslims once again.
You are right that you don't put any more strain on the health service than the next person, and I don't believe that smokers do either.

jbfzoo

I am not blaming immigration , i am simply pointing out that if the govt believe smoking is placing a burden on the health dpt then by the same token surely the same rulings should apply elsewhere in other areas that the same govt say is placing burdens on the health service. By the way shimmyfish i can see what i am writing as i am wearing reading glasses.

John[8D]

shimmyfish

By the way shimmyfish i can see what i am writing as i am wearing reading glasses.

John[8D]

What have your reading glasses got to do with me?

jduck1979

John D
Originally posted by Roach Basher

well i dont know if anybody knows this but it is one law for us and another for the government as the mpd and so on are allowed to smoke in there bar they have got at parliment so it is one rule for us and another for them

Apparently it's also permitted inside the Embassy of a foreign country
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/hampshire/6246006.stm [:D] [}:)]

Status
Not open for further replies.