Free tackle.

Roger_feederer

Site Supporter
Everyones favorite kind of tackle right?

I turned up to my peg once and on the floor was a brand new 10g guru plummet. I dont pole fish much as you can probably tell by the name, but it makes for an excellent little ledger bomb. It sits in my tray with a feeder link swivel on it and comes out often for finding a rough distance and getting rid of old clip-ups because it makes a plop like a drop of heavy rain. I didnt know i needed this bit of tackle until i found it, if i lost it id buy another right away.

Now dont get me wrong if i found something substantial like a rodbag or something id try and find its owner, but theres a higher chance of catching dolphins on the manchester ship canal than reuniting a small lead with its owner.

What are your best finds and have you found tackle you now wouldnt be without?

The Landlord

Site Supporter
Found a cracking rod rest (one of the big butterfly ones) on the canal bank around 30 years ago. Still got it & can't bear to part with it even though I rarely use it.

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
Still got a little yellow dibber I caught attached to a fish at Woodlands View but not used it yet. 😁

Me and my lad

Site Supporter
Once been on the other side of this. I left a barbel rod set up in a ready rod sleeve propped against a fence once. I only got it back because on of the blokes on the holiday site saw the chap take it and disliked him to the point of telling me who had it and the caravan number. He replied, I thought I had a new trent rod there.

dry nets

apprentice stormtrooper
Site Supporter
I once left my pole roller. It was in long grass under trees gilding my pole through the branches. When I got home and unloaded I realised. Drove back and someone was in the peg feeders fishing. He hadn’t noticed it. So I got it back. As a kid I left the rod rest every time

minkyandbear

Site Supporter
Over the years I have accumulated many freebies; mainly terminal tackle and the occasional banksticks and rodrests.

But that is where I draw a line. I have found rods, reels and clothing mainly on club waters, which have found their way back their owners.

A few years I was the last to leave a fishery (a commercial) and found my exit blocked by a rod holdall. I took it to the fishery owner, who discovered it contained some top notch rods and poles, along with landing net handle and bank sticks. He conservatively estimated it was was worth £4-5K.. I am not being pious but there is no way I could have lived with myself if I keep the gear and also I know how gutted the owner would have been when they discovered their loss. The story does have a happy ending as the owner got his gear back and the next time I visited the fishery there was a bottle of Scotch waiting for me as a thank you.

ukzero1

Growing old disgracefully.
Site Supporter
As a water bailiff, I find all sorts of 'goodies'. A 4000 baitrunner reel in camo, perfect working order, left on a platform, a broken Carp rod that I stripped for the runners, 2 or 3 catapults, half a bag of boilies, the odd float, feeders, loads of disgorgers, a feeder arm, a round tube that was full of pole floats...the list goes on.

Total

Site Supporter
As a water bailiff, I find all sorts of 'goodies'. A 4000 baitrunner reel in camo, perfect working order, left on a platform, a broken Carp rod that I stripped for the runners, 2 or 3 catapults, half a bag of boilies, the odd float, feeders, loads of disgorgers, a feeder arm, a round tube that was full of pole floats...the list goes on.
.......Many half read club rule books?:unsure::whistle:;)

Foul hooked

I once found a keepnet with about 5lb of small roach and skimmers still in it when I pulled it out. Emptied the fish out and gave it to the fishery owner who knew who had been fishing the peg earlier.
Aside from the usual selection of banksticks, floats and feeders etc nothing exciting. As for those items, I have left enough of them behind myself over the years so it is probably break even.
There is a chap who regularly canoes along the local river and he always has a few items retrieved from the far bank trees that he gives to any youngsters fishing.

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
This has been knocking around in my garden for a few weeks, god knows what it is, but every time I look at it I think of my potential first foray into... Band'um Wafters!!! :LOL::LOL::LOL:

2021-03-27 17.11.58.jpg

RedhillPhil

Computers verified, riots quelled, wars started.
Site Supporter
At the other end of the scale I'm damned if I can remember what I did with my #4/5 weight Greys fly rod. It's just disappeared!

RiggersSW

I was feeder fishing and had a take, ended up reeling in a Drennan Team England catapult. I was fishing around 50 yards out so I can only imagine someone hooked it swinging the rod back and cast it out.

peterb

Site Supporter
I was feeder fishing and had a take, ended up reeling in a Drennan Team England catapult. I was fishing around 50 yards out so I can only imagine someone hooked it swinging the rod back and cast it out.
Funnily enough I found one of those on the bank 2 weeks ago .