Free Spirit & Extremity Reel

The Hitman

Site Supporter
Since my move to Devon I have started fishing more open wild waters, on some of these waters distance is very important, we get lots of wind here so it can have a impact on your fishing.

Over the last few weeks i have been fishing Melbury which is the local reservoir to me, it's fished for rubbish mainly but has a really good head of Bream, Skimmers and Big Hybrids. The Carp anglers feed plenty of bait at distances of 90m to 120m, the bigger Bream/Hybrids sit out at that distance, more so in the winter than the summer months.

My current rod I felt was not good enough for the job, or so I thought. so I started looking at the Daiwa SLR to achieve the distances required,

Yesterday I had a session on there, picked a peg that needed some distance work, talking to the Carp guy in the next swim he suggested I fish next to him to the left as he saw Carp boshing, thought why not, need to hit 90 metres plus.

So out comes the Free Spirit 12ft HI's power special and the trusted Preston Extremity 620, changed the tip in the rod to the 3oz tip, had 6lb Drennan method and feeder line with Guru 10lb shock leader. Made sure I had the room behind to get my casting right.

The rod performed so much better with the 3oz tip, powerful and yet still so sensitive with the hollow tips, I set the clip at 95 metres, first few casts failed to hit the clip, i then adjusted the length between tip and feeder, the rest of the day hit the clip with plenty of power yet to be used. The Extremity reels are amazing for the retail price of £84,95. I also own a 520, Used 45gram Guru Hybrid.

Previously felt the Free Spirit was a little to soft, just shows change of tip to 3oz and wow, what a difference, must say really please with the rod, brand new these are expensive rods, 2nd hand fantastic value for the money. Purchased mine 2nd hand but in mint condition. SLR no longer required, my wife is very please, no more spending.

In summary, this is a great long distance set up if that's your preferred style of fishing. The rod is super slim, long handle for casting, comes with 2.5oz and 3oz tips, I have ordered a 2oz tip for it, for the summer on shorter chucks.

Had 10 bites which resulted in 10 Bream/Hydrids for 25lb. Lovely days fishing. No carp even though there were showing everywhere.

Total

Site Supporter
@The Hitman ......^^ Nicely done....(y)......Didn't you recently buy a 12 foot 3 piece SLR anyway?.....What is the 620 Extremity like on that rod please?....Thank you...(y)

The Hitman

Site Supporter
Hi Total, purchased 3 piece 12ft Tournament pro, not used the 620 on this yet, only the 520, The 620 sits nice, big spool, the shock leader and line comes of nicely. Gives the rod a nice balance.
The eyes are on the smaller side on the the Tournament so only use that for 50-60 yards with no shock leader.

chris1967

Site Supporter
I saw
Since my move to Devon I have started fishing more open wild waters, on some of these waters distance is very important, we get lots of wind here so it can have a impact on your fishing.

Over the last few weeks i have been fishing Melbury which is the local reservoir to me, it's fished for rubbish mainly but has a really good head of Bream, Skimmers and Big Hybrids. The Carp anglers feed plenty of bait at distances of 90m to 120m, the bigger Bream/Hybrids sit out at that distance, more so in the winter than the summer months.

My current rod I felt was not good enough for the job, or so I thought. so I started looking at the Daiwa SLR to achieve the distances required,

Yesterday I had a session on there, picked a peg that needed some distance work, talking to the Carp guy in the next swim he suggested I fish next to him to the left as he saw Carp boshing, thought why not, need to hit 90 metres plus.

So out comes the Free Spirit 12ft HI's power special and the trusted Preston Extremity 620, changed the tip in the rod to the 3oz tip, had 6lb Drennan method and feeder line with Guru 10lb shock leader. Made sure I had the room behind to get my casting right.

The rod performed so much better with the 3oz tip, powerful and yet still so sensitive with the hollow tips, I set the clip at 95 metres, first few casts failed to hit the clip, i then adjusted the length between tip and feeder, the rest of the day hit the clip with plenty of power yet to be used. The Extremity reels are amazing for the retail price of £84,95. I also own a 520, Used 45gram Guru Hybrid.

Previously felt the Free Spirit was a little to soft, just shows change of tip to 3oz and wow, what a difference, must say really please with the rod, brand new these are expensive rods, 2nd hand fantastic value for the money. Purchased mine 2nd hand but in mint condition. SLR no longer required, my wife is very please, no more spending.

In summary, this is a great long distance set up if that's your preferred style of fishing. The rod is super slim, long handle for casting, comes with 2.5oz and 3oz tips, I have ordered a 2oz tip for it, for the summer on shorter chucks.

Had 10 bites which resulted in 10 Bream/Hydrids for 25lb. Lovely days fishing. No carp even though there were showing everywhere.
👍

Simon Walsh

Site Supporter
Mark
Bought the tournament after speaking with Rich lovely rod
Good job I don’t need either the SLR or Free Spirit just now😁