Free spirit disaster

Billy the fish 1954

bad day today, gave the rods their first trip out for months, wish I didn’t bother, brand new 11ft carp feeder rod split in 2oz quiver tip was fine when set up yesterday, got out 10ft carp waggler had 3 F1s then 4lb common just slipped the net under it the tip snapped see picture , fault in blank ? Would like some opinions, is the damaged repairable thanks , was bought on line from the tackle box never had a problem before.

1B4B8D18-4FE0-4F6B-8600-45859599F0A7.jpeg

The Hitman

Site Supporter
bad day today, gave the rods their first trip out for months, wish I didn’t bother, brand new 11ft carp feeder rod split in 2oz quiver tip was fine when set up yesterday, got out 10ft carp waggler had 3 F1s then 4lb common just slipped the net under it the tip snapped see picture , fault in blank ? Would like some opinions, is the damaged repairable thanks , was bought on line from the tackle box never had a problem before.

1B4B8D18-4FE0-4F6B-8600-45859599F0A7.jpeg
How long you had the rod? My 11ft Carp feeder snapped playing a skimmer, clean break. Free Spirit replaced no problem at all.
If its clean break then i would speak to Free Spirit and send it back for inspection.

chris1967

Really Really
Site Supporter
so am i reading this correct the 2oz tip in a new carp feeder rod is snapped and the 10ft carp waggler snapped whilst/after netting a fish ,may i ask do you store them together in a ready rod bag

drw

Site Supporter
Recently bought a few free spirit CTX rods so will be watching this with interest !

chris1967

Really Really
Site Supporter
Recently bought a few free spirit CTX rods so will be watching this with interest !
had free spirits for a couple of years now ,had massive weights ,carp to 18lb and not had a single problem . That being said though all manufacturers can have breakages ,i just think it's odd that two break on the same day

silversonly

FS always good to deal with, worse case is to just buy a new top section which they will sell as I have had to do that when I stood on a section of my rod.

lucc

Free spirit has a lot of spares (quiver tips) missing, has not the best customer client ("does not have the time to talk"), sends what they have when they want...Too bad because the products are good

JohnLondon

Site Supporter
The damaged could have happened anywhere. The rods could have banged together whilst being put in or taken out of a car etc. By the sound of it, it was the first time you used the feeder rod but you’ve had & I assume used the carp waggler rod before? Usually, if there is a fault in a blank, it tends to break the first time you use it, assuming you catch something that will put a decent bend in the rod. A split quiver tip is common & usually happens when the line has twisted around an eye & you put tension on it resulting in it splitting. They can of course be faulty. You first port of call should be The Tackle Box who have excellent customer service

Billy the fish 1954

The damaged could have happened anywhere. The rods could have banged together whilst being put in or taken out of a car etc. By the sound of it, it was the first time you used the feeder rod but you’ve had & I assume used the carp waggler rod before? Usually, if there is a fault in a blank, it tends to break the first time you use it, assuming you catch something that will put a decent bend in the rod. A split quiver tip is common & usually happens when the line has twisted around an eye & you put tension on it resulting in it splitting. They can of course be faulty. You first port of call should be The Tackle Box who have excellent customer service
Have emailed them this morning

G0zzer2

Site Supporter
Easy to pull the line suddenly when netting a fish, resulting in the tip breaking - that looks to me to be the most likely explanation. Yes it is repairable, though there will always be some sort of a flat spot.

Billy the fish 1954

Have inspected the damaged tip section it’s the top 3 rings, when turning it appears mis shaped with a series of lumps and grooves