Free red line with Angling Times

Status
Not open for further replies.

dicko

I am keen to try the red line that is being given away with Angling Times but can only find the green in the shops round Preston. Has anyone seen the red on sale anywhere round thia area? Thanks

andy_martin

The artist formerly known as...
I have collection of the line they give away, the orange one,the blue one, the camo brown and green one... all seems to be the same line in different colours, none of which are worthy of a place on my reels...

If red line is really invisible underwater (think it is over 6ft that this becomes possible anyway), then why are red maggots so succesful as a bait?

pieman

Originally posted by djandymartin

I have collection of the line they give away, the orange one,the blue one, the camo brown and green one... all seems to be the same line in different colours, none of which are worthy of a place on my reels...

If red line is really invisible underwater (think it is over 6ft that this becomes possible anyway), then why are red maggots so succesful as a bait?

Good point mate[:T]

paulod

Site Supporter
Is it that it 'becomes invisible' or is that it's not seen as 'red'? (Assuming that what we see as 'red' is the same as fish see it in the first place). Either way, I've got a multi-coloured never used collection of AT line too. The red line's actually quite useful for pulling dacron through carp stops to make connectors....it's very visible!! [;)][:W]

bluemack

Site Supporter
Originally posted by djandymartin

not only that mate,if red is invisible why bother to do it in other colours?[V]

getfishing

Pete
I think clear is the best because clear is harder for me to see in and out the water, so I believe that it is less visible to the fish.

andy_martin

When I did a PADI scuba course they said that certain colours of the spectrum dissapear under water the deeper you go.
I think red was the first to go but again this was in seawater and was atleast 6ft if I remember correctly.
This is also based on human eyesight!

I am pretty sure we have all caught fish in depths of over 6ft on red maggot so just think lines of different colours is another of those ideas that catch more anglers than fish

getfishing

Pete
Oh, and another plus point with clear line. Its stronger for its diameter because they don't add any imputies to it like pigments.

codenamemilo

It never becomes invisible, it is just no longer seen as red. And as pointed out this really only happens at depth, over 10 feet really.

andy_martin

Stick to Maxima for reel line and flurocarbon hooklengths if I want a bit of stealth I think!

Andy Macfarlane

I got the green feeder line yesterday and tried breaking it. It was actually very strong. Well, it should be with a .20mm diameter. How good it is remains to be seen mind you. I'll give it a bash for a couple of weeks and see if it stands up to abuse.

Sparhawk

I put the red stuff on my kids reels last year.I tried to use one weekend as I had left my reel case at home. Dreadful. Awful. Hopeless.

Simon R

Site Supporter
Lets be honest - if the stuff was any good would they be still be giving it away?

Freebies on the front of magazines usually fall into one of three categories:
  • cheap - eg disgorgers
  • 'new' products that the manufacturer wants to bring to the publics attention
  • stuff the distributor can't sell 'cos it's rubbish

Now considering they've been taping spools of the same brand of line to the front of Angling Times for the last two years now I think it's fairly safe to assume that the latter applies in this case[;)]

Simon

steve1080

i 100% agree with simon r, i had some of the red line free from angliing times and it was c**p it coiled up after being on the spool the knot strengh was next to zero just had no confidence in it, i now stick to what i know power line, maxima, and sensor

bryanc

Got the free red 4lb line from Angling Times lastyear. Been fishing with it all this year and had no problems at all, in fact, caught more so far this year than I did in whole of last year

batman

Originally posted by bryanc

Got the free red 4lb line from Angling Times lastyear. Been fishing with it all this year and had no problems at all, in fact, caught more so far this year than I did in whole of last year

Sounds like your finally getting in the knack of this fishin' lark.[:D][:T][:p]

jukebox1

Just flicking through this thread and remembered I'd seen an article recently in Anglers Mail about red line and its apparent qualities see below ..........................................

A lesson in red line colour--
Comments about red line invisibility lead me to clear up the myth once and for all.
White light contains a mixture of all colours of the spectrum from red through to blues and violets.As light passes through water,light energy is absorbed as it passes through the water column.
This absorption spectrum of water (red light absorbs 100 times more than blue light),together with the five times greater scattering of blue light over red light,contributes to the blue colour of lake,river and ocean waters.
As red light is the first part of the spectrum to be absorbed,red line(or indeed any red object)cannot reflect back red light.
This does not make it invisible - it would in fact appear black against a lit background - making it the most visible.
Trust me I,m a physics teacher!!!

Christian Barker,Ipswich.

Maybe this is why red baits are so succesful, maggots boilies etc, as they appear black against their surroundings??? Fish also seem to like black baits from hemp through to black bits of zigged up foam etc so the next question for investigation should be - Whats best - black or red bait??[:p][B)] Hope this helps you out [:T]

Status
Not open for further replies.