free banks at weekends.

PAB

Site Supporter
I am now 60 + and am fortunate enough to have taken early retirement a year or so ago. For many years whilst working I used to poke fun at the fine weather fisherman only going out in the dry & wind free weather as I would fish in all weathers. I now realise that that was because I only got the occasional day off here and there now free of the drudgery of work I find myself fishing normally 5 days a week during the dry wind free weather and stuck in the man cave other times polishing my gear ready for the off. The only time I go now when it is bad weather is when I am on holiday and can get back to the lodge in seconds and jump into the hot tub with a drink or two, for you lads that cant get away during the week I always leave the banks free for you at weekends. How many others are in the same situation and leave the banks for those less fortunate at weekends? It is the least we can do.

Arry

Aitch, Cantankerous old gimmer with "Views"
Site Supporter
That'd be me... I retired almost a year ago and I fish during the week when its quiet... i leave the weekends to those that need it

Dusty

I am now 60 + and am fortunate enough to have taken early retirement a year or so ago. For many years whilst working I used to poke fun at the fine weather fisherman only going out in the dry & wind free weather as I would fish in all weathers. I now realise that that was because I only got the occasional day off here and there now free of the drudgery of work I find myself fishing normally 5 days a week during the dry wind free weather and stuck in the man cave other times polishing my gear ready for the off. The only time I go now when it is bad weather is when I am on holiday and can get back to the lodge in seconds and jump into the hot tub with a drink or two, for you lads that cant get away during the week I always leave the banks free for you at weekends. How many others are in the same situation and leave the banks for those less fortunate at weekends? It is the least we can do.

I hardly ever fish at the weekends anymore, working a 6 on 4 off shift pattern means I get a ton of time in the week to get out fishing.

The last time I went at a weekend the venue was almost totally matched up.

ukzero1

Growing old disgracefully.
Site Supporter
I could go fishing any day of the week, including weekends, but bailiff duties get in the way.

Silver fan 82

I wish I could fish during the week when the banks are quieter but work unfortunately gets in the way,

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
I had 6 months off between my old and current jobs and fishing during the week then was lovely! Now it’s just weekends except when I book days off to fish somewhere further away that requires overnighting somewhere.

Gwillim

Frustrating subject for me!!!
So ..... retired (medically) due to disability, still fairly able bodied although have spondylitis of the spine and degenerative arthritis in a number of places, so have made the move over to a chair rather than a box and would love to get on the bank in the week but restricted by the other part of my disability which is unmedicated epilepsy, this obviously restricts me from being on the bank on my own, all the friends who fish work, all the local clubs seem to be online/facebook groups etc making it difficult to get to know folks who you could organise to be there (as that's all i need, the actual % chance of me having a seizure and falling in are extremely low, but you just never know) the wife bless her is happy enough to come out for the day when the weather is nice in the summer so although I don't have to I end up on the banks on the weekend when fishing mates are not at work.

Since retiring eight years ago I have not fished at weekends, fishing during the week is exceptionally quiet. I fish the K & A C three times a week, and it is very unusual to bump into other Angler’s.
One of the nice things is that parking is very easy.
Weekend fishing is left to those whose needs are such. (Work commitments)
There is a lot to be said about retirement ??

Sam Vimes

Site Supporter
I worked shifts for years, weekends meant little. Now I work seasonally, for a total of a few months per year. I fish almost any time I like for much of the year. However, because I can fish so much, I don't fish in grim conditions much, unless the fish are really having it. I will still fish on weekends, though not too often, especially in the football season. When I do fish on a weekend, it's invariably on waters that are deathly quiet at the busiest of times.

lliopp

Site Supporter
Round here the average age of Angler’s has increased, most are retired, it’s the weekend that is empty.

Dave Spence

MD virtual champion 2020. Golden Pie winner 2018.
Site Supporter
So ..... retired (medically) due to disability, still fairly able bodied although have spondylitis of the spine and degenerative arthritis in a number of places, so have made the move over to a chair rather than a box and would love to get on the bank in the week but restricted by the other part of my disability which is unmedicated epilepsy, this obviously restricts me from being on the bank on my own, all the friends who fish work, all the local clubs seem to be online/facebook groups etc making it difficult to get to know folks who you could organise to be there (as that's all i need, the actual % chance of me having a seizure and falling in are extremely low, but you just never know) the wife bless her is happy enough to come out for the day when the weather is nice in the summer so although I don't have to I end up on the banks on the weekend when fishing mates are not at work.
I would have thought that there were enough 'retired members' on here to be able to start some mutual support groups and go meet up together, in groups of 3 or 4, midweek. The power of the forum should never be underestimated.(y)

Gwillim

I would have thought that there were enough 'retired members' on here to be able to start some mutual support groups and go meet up together, in groups of 3 or 4, midweek. The power of the forum should never be underestimated.(y)

Location is my issue mate :) have spoken to one member who I might be able to meet up with but looking to fish Ebbw Vale Festival lakes or Cefn Mably might stick an add in the wanted section for a fishing buddy lol :ROFLMAO:

PAB

Site Supporter
have a look on The fellowship of anglers web site or Facebook page I have meet up with a few people who have problems like yours through great group.
The Fellowship of Anglers

PAB

Site Supporter
maybe a dedicated forum for just that would be good. Get out and have banter and a days fishing with like minded people not necessarily matches but just for pleasure.

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
Retired a few weeks ago at 52. I've done nothing but, go fishing, talk about fishing or watch fishing vids. It's great. I should have done it 36 years ago. ? What I have noticed though is the lack of young anglers in our region. Even while I've been fishing through the school holidays I've not seen any young anglers which is a crying shame.

PAB

Site Supporter
Retired a few weeks ago at 52. I've done nothing but, go fishing, talk about fishing or watch fishing vids. It's great. I should have done it 36 years ago. ? What I have noticed though is the lack of young anglers in our region. Even while I've been fishing through the school holidays I've not seen any young anglers which is a crying shame.
Dito on both accounts and you can never retire to early.

Total

Site Supporter

You can fix that 'mole' now mate. (y) :ROFLMAO:

Markywhizz

Clueless member
Site Supporter
I only fish during the week and not at weekends. I fish on my own as i don’t know anyone else who fishes. My wife is a teacher and enjoys coming out with me in the school holidays.