Frayed line

Status
Not open for further replies.

THESLABCATCHER

TEAM JINX
Hello, fishing the pellet wag at a local commercial yesterday i noticed my 5lb Maxima main line was frayed after having a few fish, so i setup again but had the same problem any ideas has anyone experienced this before [?]

banksy

Life Member
Site Supporter
Have you got a cracked liner on a rod ring?

I'd check 'em all out.

And I mean with a powerful magnifying glass.
[:)]

Last edited:

Piker-Dave

aka Common_Carp
IMO, can only be 3 things..

1. crays
2. fishing over stone/rock/gravel bottom and frayed on retreaval
3. knackered rod eyes

i really cant see 2 happening, so im going for option 3.

Last edited:

0lly

Check the line eyes on the rod for damage (just incase). Any gravel bars in the lake you were fishing?

Col7777

That is why I asked, like already mentioned the eys or the reel, when looking at the reel look at the roller on the bale arm.

BarryC

Managed to do a similar thing once. With my eyes not as good as they were I put the line through the gap to one side of the tip ring. Luckily I noticed but if I found the line was fraying and checked the guides afterwards all would have looked fine.

pole addict

I cant imagine it's crayfish or fishing over a stony/gravel bottom.....not on the pellet wag. [:0]

Bail arm/roller or a knackered ring/lining is my guess.[:W]

Larry

Lazarus
I'm the same either a knackered rod ring or a damaged bail arm roller. I'd check the top joint eyes.
Get piece of line &run round the eyes you'll soon find out if it catches on the eye.You may not be able see by eye but'll find it with the line check.

Last edited:

ChrisLeonard

ive had the same thing but only on the hooklength... so its not passing through the eyes of my rod (mach 3)

THESLABCATCHER

TEAM JINX
Thanks guys, found it last night a real nasty cracked ring, the front face of the ring has come away! [:(]

Larry

Lazarus
Originally posted by THESLABCATCHER

Thanks guys, found it last night a real nasty cracked ring, the front face of the ring has come away! [:(]
Glad you found it my mate.

Status
Not open for further replies.