Foulhooking.

jimbo1946

What is the actual rule,in a match on this.What constitutes foul hooking exactly,and must they always be released.For example if a fish is hooked on the outside of its mouth. Always hear differing views on this.

Banded_Nipple

I've never heard of someone having to return a fish due to foul hooking.

Unless they stood up and mugged one on the surface by dragging their hook over it's back.

ukzero1

Growing old disgracefully.
Site Supporter
It would be a difficult thing to police. A bailiff behind every angler on a match isn't an option. You could say it's the ethical thing to do but very few anglers have them where there's money involved.

jimbo1946

I asked as a fella pegged next to me hooked a carp in the tail.Took an age to land but he weighed it in. You would think their would be a rule but as has been said ,how do would it it be enforced.Suppose the only answer is to allow it,but it doesnt feel right.

ukzero1

Growing old disgracefully.
Site Supporter
I asked as a fella pegged next to me hooked a carp in the tail.Took an age to land but he weighed it in. You would think their would be a rule but as has been said ,how do would it it be enforced.Suppose the only answer is to allow it,but it doesnt feel right.

In our club matches, any foul hooked fish must be returned is the rule. 2 or 3 members have had warnings after being caught or other anglers tipping the nod to the match organiser but I'm sure some do get away with it. It's only a matter of time before they get caught. But the thing is, when caught, they're allowed back in matches, personally I would ban them from any match held on club waters.

G0zzer2

Site Supporter
The old NFA match rules used to say that all foulhooked fish in a match had to be returned immediately. But that rule was rescinded decades ago (probably 30 years). However, to deliberately foulhook a fish still illegal.

robert d

Allways trying to improve
Site Supporter
What is the actual rule,in a match on this.What constitutes foul hooking exactly,and must they always be released.For example if a fish is hooked on the outside of its mouth. Always hear differing views on this.
I've seen many top anglers foul hook fish in competition and put them in the net for weighing. It's best not to foul hook fish but if it's not intentional then afar as I'm aware it's legal so put them I for weighing

Dave Spence

MD virtual champion 2020. Golden Pie winner 2018.
Site Supporter
I have never heard of foul hooked fish being returned, accidental foul hooking is totally different to school dragging etc.

johng19

me@home.com
Iv never heard of foul hooked having to be returned. Even though every time someone has one in our club, someone will say hope your putting it back.

gingert76

Facts, Stats & Evidence!
Site Supporter
dont see how you can police foul hooked fish without fitting cameras to each angler and looking at the hook holds in real time for each fish landed, foul hooking happens, none of us try and do it, and if anything foul hookers can take bloody ages to land.

Deliberately trying to foul hook fish is another thing but ive never seen anyone do it and i would hope no angler would try and do it

Simon R

Site Supporter
Iv never heard of foul hooked having to be returned. Even though every time someone has one in our club, someone will say hope your putting it back.
The same comment is used if one's caught in our matches - and nobody ever does.
Impossible to police anyway - sometimes it's obvious when a fish comes in tail first but I've had fish that have wrapped themselves up in the line and end up coming in sideways on - from other anglers viewpoints it would look foul hooked but once unraveled the hook is found to be firmly in the mouth.

Simon

Sam Vimes

Site Supporter
It's a fair while since I fished matches. It's even longer since I fished anything close to an open match. However, I certainly remember fishing matches that had the rule of all foul hooked fish being returned immediately. There's no disputing that it was impossible to police. I also have no doubt that people flouted the rule. However, as much as it was a bit of a nonsense, it disappoints (but doesn't surprise) me that people aren't honourable enough for such a rule to be worthwhile.

G0zzer2

Site Supporter
It may surprise some of you to learn that 50 years ago the majority of people in the UK were honourable, and would put back a foulhooked fish if the rules so demanded.