foul hooker's and lost fish.

SPARKIE#1

Hi chaps, yesterday I fished a match on a local fishery which I came 2nd on but I could of come first if I landed half the 10 lost carp from the margin/far bank.

so I'm after a bit of an idea where I was going wrong and what i could do to limit foul hooked fish.

so i was fishing 13m pole 10-12 elastic to the far side with 2ft of water up against the base of a tree, nice flat bottom approx 6" away from the bank. i also tried up against the bank bit had the same issues.

The rig was .17 mainline Drennan carp float and banded 14 guru hook. set to dead depth and later moved a couple inch over depth

I was feeding a small amount of 4mm pellets each time i shipped out and banding either 4/6mm pellets and sweet corn too.

I don't believe I had too many fish in the swim as the float was nice and stable and think my feeding was ok. There wasn't many signs that fish were there but the fish I caught ranged from 3-7lb

now the bites were very positive and the float buried, but I was losing more than landing almost like they were foul hooked.

I've had a look on net to see if there was something i could of done to help mitigate so many lost fish but come up blank

could it of been just one of those days or could i of done more.

endpeg

Happens a lot this time of year fish are attracted to feed but dont really want to eat much of it.
I think they just sit above it, the fish you lost will be mostly foulhookers.
I would have tried feeding small amounts of over wet groundbait and fished a big hook bait over it.

SPARKIE#1

I should of said i also lost 2 of the 3 fish from my left margin which was groundbait hemp and corn on identical rig.
you could tell they were foul hooked by the way they powered out of the swim with no control over them.

davej1981

I had a similar experience last week, lost easily as many as i landed. Never had a problem before. No idea what the problem was, just put it down to one of those days

chefster

Shedster!!
Site Supporter
First of all I would of fed small balls of wetted micros in the kinder, if that didn’t work I would of changed hookbaits, I’d of tried maggots, then worm ,carried on feeding as I was… If that didn’t resolve it I would of starting pinging hard pellets over there and tried slapping a shallow rig tight to the bank

SPARKIE#1

First of all I would of fed small balls of wetted micros in the kinder, if that didn’t work I would of changed hook baits, I’d of tried maggots, then worm ,carried on feeding as I was… If that didn’t resolve it I would of starting pinging hard pellets over there and tried slapping a shallow rig tight to the bank
tried maggots, corn, pellets didn't have my worms left them in fridge.
I wouldn't of been able to ping and slap unless i moved out a couple of feet as i was at the base of a tree, id of end up being caught up in it.

ill just chalk it down as being one of those days

chefster

Shedster!!
Site Supporter
tried maggots, corn, pellets didn't have my worms left them in fridge.
I wouldn't of been able to ping and slap unless i moved out a couple of feet as i was at the base of a tree, id of end up being caught up in it.

ill just chalk it down as being one of those days
Start a new line then 🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️

Anglingman

Mr Ginster
Site Supporter
how did you fish your rig ? a bulk shot 3-4" from the hook fished almost dead depth and pushed right to the back of the peg can help stop them getting behind and under your rig. And big heavy baits (eg Corn) help stop the hookbait wafting up. Also consider potting rather than kinder pot or pinging unless you want to catch shallow, potting can push them to the bottom and concentrate them. But somedays they are just not having it properly and its hard to get away from foul hookers....good luck