Fossils

spanky

Irregular Member
Site Supporter
No, I'm not talking about the moderators...

Just wondering, does anyone on here know anything about fossils?

I was near Hunstanton, West Norfolk last week and had a nose along the beach. There are plenty of micro-fossils in the fallen rocks so I had a good look and grabbed a few photos. But, I have no clue what I'm looking at most of the time.

One thing of particular note were these red/brown shapes that appear in the boundary layer between the rock strata. They were a mix of what look like small anemones (about 10mm across) lower left in photo and then come larger dish shaped patterns upper right about the size of a large mussel shell. There were lots of these in different locations along the beach, so I guess they are common - but what are they?

1628504380479.png

The other thing that interested me were these flat disks that could be found embedded in some of the sandstone. They are about the size of a 10p piece, smooth on the flat surface. Any ideas what these might be?

1628504617170.png

Any info on these would be most welcome.

ukzero1

Growing old disgracefully.
Site Supporter
The first pic looks like anemones, but could be wrong. Contacting fossil hunters in your area might shed some light on exactly what they are.

mickthechippy

space cadet
Staff member
Site Supporter
We have a cliff face locally that is made up of a greensand and clay

it readily washes out fossils after a high tide, mainly triliobites and other small marine creatures, though a few weeks back, there was a discovery of large dinosaur style footprints going along a section of the beach

a good afternoon scrabbling and rock pooling with the herberts can find you plenty, along with chunks of iron pyrites, which can and has been given to the kids as pirates gold, add the various colours of sea glass in and the nippers think they are rich as with diamonds rubies and emeralds

no idea what you have found is though

grey

Site Supporter
The first looks like just ironstone nodules in sandstone sedimentary rock (carstone).

Second pic looks like some type of quartz metamorphic - (squashed)

SpenBeck

Site Supporter
It looks like Gods rubbish dump. It's all the bits he didn't need when he was creating the world and universe!

Pompous git

Site Supporter
We have a cliff face locally that is made up of a greensand and clay

it readily washes out fossils after a high tide, mainly triliobites and other small marine creatures, though a few weeks back, there was a discovery of large dinosaur style footprints going along a section of the beach

a good afternoon scrabbling and rock pooling with the herberts can find you plenty, along with chunks of iron pyrites, which can and has been given to the kids as pirates gold, add the various colours of sea glass in and the nippers think they are rich as with diamonds rubies and emeralds

no idea what you have found is though
Eeeeh rock pooling, proper fun and free!