Formula 1 Decision Making

Neil ofthe nene

Doing things differently.
Site Supporter
Last week's race got me thinking about the decisions made during a race. Bottas obviously was convinced early on that it would be a two stop race. Yet his opinion as the driver was ignored, ultimately to the detriment of the team's result. Would there ever be a time when a driver takes a decision independent of the instructions from the pit wall? Could/should Bottas have overruled the team and come in for fresh tyres a second time? What would have happened if he had said "I am coming in end of this lap and want fresh tyres, as the driver I know best what is happening on track."?

Hamilton has been unhappy in a few races with the strategy calls from the team. Will there come a time when he pulls rank as a multiple World Champion and overrules the team? What would be the consequences? Last week, had both drivers pitted a second time on their own initiative and managed first and second, would the team have to totally re-think the decision making process. That process is at present based solely on statistics, numbers and pre-race predictions and seem to take no account of feedback from the drivers once the race has started.

Could last week be a watershed moment? Or will the multi million pound contracted drivers just blindly continue to obey team instructions, strategy and decisions?

Yorkieboy70

Site Supporter
Think all the drivers and teams know the tracks very well and know what works best. A pit stop loses around 20 - 25 seconds, tyres have to be warmed in blankets and only taken out at the last minute. Pit crews know time between cars and wether they can get in and out before losing places. Some tracks are easier to overtake some are not. Dont think a driver will ever have the final say.

Arry

Aitch, Cantankerous old gimmer with "Views"
Site Supporter
"Dont think a driver will ever have the final say"

Don't see why the drivers word shouldn't be final... he's driving... his life on the line if it goes t#ts up... too many bad calls from the pit lately

160642fishing

Site Supporter
When you are earning the kind of money these boys make you do as you're told I would think.

ukzero1

Growing old disgracefully.
Site Supporter
I think it's a case of..."WE sign your contracts..WE pay your wages...WE make the decisions".

Arry

Aitch, Cantankerous old gimmer with "Views"
Site Supporter
Still... from a safety aspect the driver should be listened to... with the events of Baku still fresh in the memory, tyres are the weak spot twixt car and track... if a driver is unhappy with his tyres his comments should hold sway... whomever pays his salary

mickthechippy

23/04/2008 - 25/12/2021
Site Supporter
In Memoriam
the telemetry from the onboard computers is also relayed to the pit wall,

most of the decisions go by those readings

DFL

Site Supporter
I've been a motorsport fan since I was a young boy watching Jimmy Clark hurtling a Lotus Cortina often on three wheels around Crystal Palace, thems were the days!

Last weekend's race at Ricard illustrated what F1 has become, a race that was decided by the two chief strategists sitting in front of a bank of computers, the Mercedes guy staying in Brackley totally remote from the race!

I want racing to be about Max and Lewis, not tyres, I'm on a loser. 🙁

squimp

Site Supporter
Think back to the (fairly recent) time when one of the teams told their driver to crash on purpose…..and he did.

mickthechippy

23/04/2008 - 25/12/2021
Site Supporter
In Memoriam
I've been a motorsport fan since I was a young boy watching Jimmy Clark hurtling a Lotus Cortina often on three wheels around Crystal Palace, thems were the days!

Last weekend's race at Ricard illustrated what F1 has become, a race that was decided by the two chief strategists sitting in front of a bank of computers, the Mercedes guy staying in Brackley totally remote from the race!

I want racing to be about Max and Lewis, not tyres, I'm on a loser. 🙁
my favourite driver of all time

Neil ofthe nene

Doing things differently.
Site Supporter
Think all the drivers and teams know the tracks very well and know what works best. A pit stop loses around 20 - 25 seconds, tyres have to be warmed in blankets and only taken out at the last minute. Pit crews know time between cars and wether they can get in and out before losing places. Some tracks are easier to overtake some are not. Dont think a driver will ever have the final say.
Yet as Red Bull proved, a two stop was the best strategy. All the knowledge and planning in the world can go out the window on race day.

squimp

Site Supporter
Part of the problem last weekend was/is that Bottas is operating under the impression that he has equal driver status to Hamilton.

From the team perspective his job is to be a mobile chicane behind Hamilton.

If he (Bottas) had come in for a second set of tyres he would not have been between Verstappen and Hamilton.

The above is based on a Radio 5 discussion last night (I was in the car). Im not really interested in F1 anymore.

62tucker

Site Supporter
The way I was thinking about it was if bottas had held max up for a lap or 2 then Lewis would of won.
But max just passed his no problem.
Also before max pitted Lewis was Moaning about tyres. Could that of been bull so max came in ?
Remember last year when Lewis wets turned into slicks

Maesknoll

Chris
Staff member
Site Supporter
So why did Mercedes get it so wrong? Nothing quite like the feel through your backside as a driver.
It was the reverse of Barcelona, where Mercedes did the extra tyre stop. Red Bull have upped their game, Hamilton has real competition as Verstappen is a very good driver and now seems to have a car and strategy’s to match. It’s still early, I find it fascinating, the use of data is part of racing now like it or not and the interpretation of that data is the difference between winning and losing.

Maybe Mercedes were hoping for a safety car? Perhaps previous data suggested one was likely, not sure on that track, but they will have had their reasons.

grey

Site Supporter
Yet as Red Bull proved, a two stop was the best strategy. All the knowledge and planning in the world can go out the window on race day.
for them, maybe - what we can't be sure of would the same applied to Mercedes? One thing is fairly certain, if they'd have had a second stop the same time as verstappen, they'd still have been behind. If they'd have tried to stop a lap before him for the undercut, they'd have been caught up in back markers. Sometimes you have to take your hat of and admit that Redbull played it perfect and Max drove exceptionally. Maybe Mercedes could have only won with a Redbull mistake on this occasion?

Maesknoll

Chris
Staff member
Site Supporter
Decision making again, Hamilton’s / Mercedes decision to run where they did in the last chance lap in Q3 stuffed his chance of a pole. Could have been different if he’d posted a fastest time and Max has got caught up in a yellow flag as he was at the back of the pack.