Forced vaccination anyone ?

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
Anyone else seeing red over this ? No, I ain’t a care worker by the way. But, the governments proposal to basically force care workers to have a vaccine or face losing their job ? Seriously ? For a sector desperate for workers I think the government are dropping yet another bauble here. ( they are extremely good at that ) Have the government forgot who they work for ? This has got to be against human rights surely ?

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
I agree with what they're saying though, the care industry, main stream media, general public, every man and his dog, were having a go at the government re their handling of care homes, residents being put at risk, etc a year ago.
Now they're doing something about it to protect the residents the same media and some individuals are up in arms again.

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
I agree with what they're saying though, the care industry, main stream media, general public, every man and his dog, were having a go at the government re their handling of care homes, residents being put at risk, etc a year ago.
Now they're doing something about it to protect the residents the same media and some individuals are up in arms again.
Where does it end though Dave ? Would you like to live in north Korea ? It feels like we are heading in that direction.

robert d

Allways trying to improve
Site Supporter
Anyone else seeing red over this ? No, I ain’t a care worker by the way. But, the governments proposal to basically force care workers to have a vaccine or face losing their job ? Seriously ? For a sector desperate for workers I think the government are dropping yet another bauble here. ( they are extremely good at that ) Have the government forgot who they work for ? This has got to be against human rights surely ?
I dont understand it ,if the residents have had both vaccinations and the staff get tested regularly. Im all for vaccinations but not forced . More testing of staff should in my opinion be enough unless im missing something. The more that are vaccinated the better but you can still carry and pass it on ,thats my understanding.

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
I dont understand it ,if the residents have had both vaccinations and the staff get tested regularly. Im all for vaccinations but not forced . More testing of staff should in my opinion be enough unless im missing something. The more that are vaccinated the better but you can still carry and pass it on ,thats my understanding.
As an ex electrical contractor I’ve done a lot of work in private and council owned nursing homes and I’ll say this …. Nursing homes are constantly looking for staff. It’s the bane of their lives. The turn around of staff in nursing homes is astonishing. I hope this isn’t going to be another nail in the coffin of elderly care. 🤷‍♂️

robert d

Allways trying to improve
Site Supporter
As an ex electrical contractor I’ve done a lot of work in private and council owned nursing homes and I’ll say this …. Nursing homes are constantly looking for staff. It’s the bane of their lives. The turn around of staff in nursing homes is astonishing. I hope this isn’t going to be another nail in the coffin of elderly care. 🤷‍♂️
Its very very hard work ,my wife ,my mom and many more of my family have worked in care homes , many of the staff deserve a medal 🏅 . Perhaps daily testing for all staff should be a requirement. Not knocking the government as its a good idea in principle but not in practice because we could loose a lot if really hard working caring members of the caring family of care workers

MrBen

Site Supporter
The reason for the turn over off staff is the wages, most are on minimum.

Don’t have a problem with compulsory vaccination, would like to see it for the whole of the population regardless of who you are.

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
Its very very hard work ,my wife ,my mom and many more of my family have worked in care homes , many of the staff deserve a medal 🏅 . Perhaps daily testing for all staff should be a requirement. Not knocking the government as its a good idea in principle but not in practice because we could loose a lot if really hard working caring members of the caring family of care workers
Brilliant people. Proper salt of the earth. We’d be lost without them. So …. Let’s not talk to them or ask their opinion let’s stamp all over them and tell them …. Take the vaccine or your sacked. That’s how to show your appreciation for care workers isn’t it ? Well done government.

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
The reason for the turn over off staff is the wages, most are on minimum.

Don’t have a problem with compulsory vaccination, would like to see it for the whole of the population regardless of who you are.
It’s not what they were telling me. Long hours due to staff shortages is nearer the truth.

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
Speaking to my brother in law about this before it was announced and he reckons the more you force people the more there will be a backlash. I’d agree but as someone who sees the jab as a good thing along with everyone I’ve spoke to, I can’t see why people wouldn’t want it voluntarily.

SeanB

Site Supporter
Another way to look at it is this, if a resident caught covid from an unvaccinated worker and died, would the care home be liable? Would the family argue that the home was responsible for putting their relative at risk? Its a dilemma either way.

Chervil

Site Supporter
And a lot of then have returned to the EU, gone home to thier native countries
Seeing as it was thought there were 3.6 million people from the EU living in the UK but, as of March, 5.2 million had applied for settled status, I think there are still a few living here. It's reckoned that 1 in 5 people living in London are EU nationals and some councils have up to 6 times as many resident, than they thought they had.

Last edited:

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
And a lot of then have returned to the EU, gone home to thier native countries
What ? 🤷‍♂️ The mass majority of care workers in nursing homes up in here in Yorkshire Mick are from here. Only foreign workers I ever saw were working for a company of cleaners. ‘ Maid to clean ‘ I think I saw on their mini buses.

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
Speaking to my brother in law about this before it was announced and he reckons the more you force people the more there will be a backlash. I’d agree but as someone who sees the jab as a good thing along with everyone I’ve spoke to, I can’t see why people wouldn’t want it voluntarily.
It’s not really about the vaccine mate. 87% of care workers have had it I believe. Some are only just eligible.

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
Seeing as it was thought there were 3.6 million people from the EU living in the UK but, as of March, 5.2 million had applied for settled status, I think there are still a few living here. Its reckoned that 1 in 5 people living in London are EU nationals and some councils have up to 6 times as many resident, than they thought they had.

Wow 😳.

mickthechippy

space cadet
Staff member
Site Supporter
What ? 🤷‍♂️ The mass majority of care workers in nursing homes up in here in Yorkshire Mick are from here. Only foreign workers I ever saw were working for a company of cleaners. ‘ Maid to clean ‘ I think I saw on their mini buses.
out of the estimated 250,000 workers in the care industry, approx 113,000 are non UK-EU nationals, pre pandemic and pre brexit