for you carp fisherman

Status
Not open for further replies.

fish finder

callum
following a great weekends [during the day] carp fishing at my local still water, i want to have a go at night fishing, i wont beable to fish the lake i normally do because you cant night fish it but there us a lake near by that you can.

the lake has quite a few fish in it but there arent many carp in there, it is also quite pressured.
there are a few good carpy looking features like a row of overhanging trees over a deep hole, an island and there are a few lilly beds. i would like some advice on what feature you think i should target[;)]. i was thinking of having a boilie on one rod and a pellet on the other and feed halibut pellets.[?]
i have never night fished before so any advice would be helpful.

thanks alot[:T]

crumpercatcher

Don't ignore the margins / close in at night. [:T]

Take a spare torch / headtorch.

Sleep with a headtorch round your neck.

Take a hat and spare pair of socks, pants and jumper in case you get cold or wet.

Don't forget something for you to eat and drink.

Keep everything in its place, landing net, unhooking mat, forceps, klinik and camera etc. Bait and terminal tackle. Keep bait, food in a bag / bucket / container to keep rats and mice away from it.

Have a clear path to your rods in darkness so you don't trip or slip and end up on top of your rods / in the drink.

No it isn't a mad axe murderer or the beast of Bodmin creeping towards you. But more likely to be a horse, sheep, cow, deer, fox, badger, hedgehog or a big rat.

Keep quiet and try to listen out for fish crashing in the darkness.

Try and fish towards a feature silhouetted on the skyline so you can cast more accurately towards it.

Check all your gear BEFORE you set off, nothing worse than getting there and realising you forgot your buzzers, landing net, rig box, torches, bait, sleeping bag etc.

See if you can rebait via the light from your mobile, rather than switching a torch / headtorch on to do it.

fish finder

callum
thanks alot mate, thers some great advice on that list that i wouldnt have even thought about.

crumpercatcher

Oh try and fish a swim you are familiar with. To avoid getting stuck in overhead branches while trying to cast in the dark. You should also have a rough idea where any sunken trees, weedbeds / lilies and snags are so you can avoid them while playing and landing the fish.

Carper44

If you intend to bait up before dark make sure you mark your line with some high viz tape or a piece of pole elastic, so if you are lucky enough to get a run or a fish in the night you can accurately cast back on your bait. And its true what crumpercatcher says about covering your bait/food because I had a full box of bait eaten the other weekend by rats (my fault i didn't put the lid on properly). Tightlines and I hope you enjoy it.......

Piker-Dave

aka Common_Carp
if its pressured. then fish bags, single hook baits and do not over feed....

3 rods...

1 margin
1 x 3/4 out
1 x middle

keep a 4th rod if you have one, on a chod and cast to showing fish.

pham

Originally posted by common_carp

if its pressured. then fish bags, single hook baits and do not over feed....

3 rods...

1 margin
1 x 3/4 out
1 x middle

keep a 4th rod if you have one, on a chod and cast to showing fish.

4 rods at night on his first night?

I'd fish 2 to start with, less chance of getting in a mess that way! If you can get down prior then have a plumb about (as long as you ain't disturbing others), talk to other anglers, try and find out which areas are producing and if there is a particular bait thats doing the biz!

Last edited:

Piker-Dave

aka Common_Carp
no, not fishing 4 rods, you have your 4th setup, and cast to showing fish, IF any, then reel in a line, so your always fishing 3 rods.......

i wouldnt even bother with a marker, due to a pressured water, like i said just fish bags and you can fish on anything....

again ill use the word pressured, why use the same bait as everyone else, me personally would use something different, this will keep the fish guessing and you stand more chance of catching....if you really must use the bait everyone else is using, by all means do and put it on 1 rod only.....

fish finder

callum
thanks for the advice, you're only allowed two rods but i will fish them with bags and see how it goes.

Piker-Dave

aka Common_Carp
Originally posted by fish finder

thanks for the advice, you're only allowed two rods but i will fish them with bags and see how it goes.

if 2 rods, have ya 3rd setup ready to go

GotTackle

3 rods, just sit for an hour after everyone has buggered off, watch the water, dont even unpack!!!
sit, and watch, the fish act, and show differently when the day ticket anglers have gone, and show more, and they know when this time is...
then set up, and pack like you would if you were to go camping, always think of 3 things:

can you/ will you be able to see what you do during the night...
food/ water/ warmth/ small 1st aid kit...
always "over prepair"... it wont hurt, and you never know.

another thing to remember is a light for your tent, so people, other night anglerscan see where you are!

and one small tip.... get up at 4:30am ish, and the lake will be alive!!!

Enjoy!

pmdirectuk

Should check more!
Check my Bite Alarms out.... Fab bargain! You will be impressed and a cert for any night session.

www.medusatackle.co.uk

Andy Macfarlane

Spend the first couple of hours going over the place with a marker, plumbing setup and once you've found 2-3 nice patches, feed them up a bit, get your baits on them and then relax.

You're going to be there for a fair length of time, so make the best if it. A couple of hours plumbing/marking and feeding will pay you back over the rest of your session.

16 hours in the right place, is a damn sight better than 18 hours in the wrong place.

Last edited:

carpcruncher23

If only doing 24hrs I would advise against using a marker float. This can spook any fish out the area or just put them on edge and they might not return for over 24hrs.
What I would say is get down there a couple of days before your session, and depending on where other anglers are fishing, use your marker to find some spots. Maybe do a bit of prebaiting. If you cant do this, then by using a light lead with no float, it is quite suprising how much you can find out about the bottom of the lake/depths with very little disturbance.
The main thing is spend time looking for showing/feeding fish. Also be prepared to move if you see fish elsewhere once set up.

fish finder

callum
thanks i might do about of 'leading around' and see whats about, i was thinking of putting halibut pellets in a pva bag and either fishing a big pellet or boilie.

greentura

Greenie
pellet or crumbled boilies in the bag[:T]

a small single pop up weighted with a shot so it just sinks can be better than a big bait or try a normal boilie with a piece of pop up fake corn with it on the hair and put some corn with in the bags with your boilies, very visual and always in my box

set up your bivvey well back from the water and keep low if the light is behind you, shadows can spook any fish moving into the margins[:T][:T]

don't take alcohol with you, might be nice to have a few but you want to stay sharp when the fish show[;)]

good luck[:T]

fish finder

callum
Originally posted by greentura

pellet or crumbled boilies in the bag[:T]

a small single pop up weighted with a shot so it just sinks can be better than a big bait or try a normal boilie with a piece of pop up fake corn with it on the hair and put some corn with in the bags with your boilies, very visual and always in my box

set up your bivvey well back from the water and keep low if the light is behind you, shadows can spook any fish moving into the margins[:T][:T]
thanks[:)]

don't take alcohol with you, might be nice to have a few but you want to stay sharp when the fish show[;)]

good luck[:T]

Status
Not open for further replies.