For the love of all that is holy, carp.

Spiro

Site Supporter
Funnily enough, I’ve spent my last two sessions seeking a bigger (i.e. not “match sized”) carp and have gloriously blanked!

“Match sized” carp.
Bit like “fun sized” Mars bars.
No fun at all if you want a proper Mars bar 🤷🏻‍♂️
Brilliant

Spiro

Site Supporter
Or the Tees - which is kind of in North Yorkshire (well one bank generally is :p ) - there's odd carp get caught in Stockton town centre every year, especially in the canals out the back of the old Churchill insurance building.

The only reasonably prolific crucian venue that I've fished recently is Rising Sun and that can be very hit and miss.
Image00009.jpg
Strangely when I started fishing (1978ish) crucians were quite common locally - both of my regularly fished park lakes had quite a good head of them - they were generally small, stunted versions in Albert Park Lake - rarely over 8oz - and then in later years at Hemlington Lake the crucians grew to a pound plus quite quickly - my PB for many. many years was a fish of 1lb 6oz that I caught from there in 1984.
My fishing diary entry for 6th August 1979 relating to a session at Albert Park informs me that I caught 5 roach, 3 crucians and a tench for a total of 1lb 3oz, using a 2BB Drennan Slim Sarkanda Zoomer and a size 16 Mustad hook with maggot as bait.

Wow sounds like our paths have crossed sometime in the good old days.as your ponds.and dates similar to mine.as ur comments say .I loved banging cruisians out of Hemlington.but had to give that place up.as couldn’t afford car passenger windows j
You seem to be totally unaware or unwilling to acknowledge that many non commercial waters have been stocked with fish that did not breed there.

The Environment Agency have a fish farm for this purpose and regularly move fish from threatened locations.

Still no one has answered, to my satisfaction, my question why catching 100 roach from a canal, which I can do midwinter, is harder, more enjoyable and "proper" while catching 25 carp from a commercial is easy, not enjoyable and artificial.

Fishing is fishing, fish are fish. I don't care what I catch or where from. I'm just as happy on the canal or river as I am on a commercial. It's a shame others are so blinkered.
That’s a very descriptive picture,and a fair balanced point of view,I’m taking my blinkers off ,as you say fish are fish,

Spiro

Site Supporter
Funnily enough, I’ve spent my last two sessions seeking a bigger (i.e. not “match sized”) carp and have gloriously blanked!

“Match sized” carp.
Bit like “fun sized” Mars bars.
No fun at all if you want a proper Mars bar 🤷🏻‍♂️
Deep fried ?

Sam Vimes

Site Supporter
Or the Tees - which is kind of in North Yorkshire (well one bank generally is :p )
Nah, I had to buy a different rod licence to fish it and Northumbrian Water are still in control of it. It's not really a Yorkshire river. ;) :p

Strangely when I started fishing (1978ish) crucians were quite common locally - both of my regularly fished park lakes had quite a good head of them - they were generally small, stunted versions in Albert Park Lake - rarely over 8oz - and then in later years at Hemlington Lake the crucians grew to a pound plus quite quickly - my PB for many. many years was a fish of 1lb 6oz that I caught from there in 1984.
My fishing diary entry for 6th August 1979 relating to a session at Albert Park informs me that I caught 5 roach, 3 crucians and a tench for a total of 1lb 3oz, using a 2BB Drennan Slim Sarkanda Zoomer and a size 16 Mustad hook with maggot as bait.

Simon
I'm aware of the crucian form of both. However, having been born in the County Borough of Teesside that morphed into Cleveland, I've never quite considered Middlesbrough to be North Yorkshire. I do accept that folks older and younger than I do.

Back when I was a nipper, the only crucian water I knew of was Willowgarth. I couldn't fish it, but I used to cycle there just to see crucians in the flesh, even though someone else was doing the catching. There may well have been others to the North and East, but they may as well have been on the moon (and not in Yorkshire!:p). Into my late teens and twenties, there were crucians in Broken Brae and its short lived counterpart near Melsonby. Neither are available to fish now. Shield's/Burtree near Crakehall had what were supposed to be crucians. I'm not entirely sure what the fishing situation is with this one these days. I also believe that Dalton Gates has some crucians. I do remember catching a few here years ago. Much like Rising Sun actually finding them can be very hit and miss. They also don't seem to get to any size.

The last place I actually caught a crucian was Rising Sun. It's not a crucian venue I'd hang my hat on. They've been in there a while but don't seem to be achieving any great size. I suspect that there's far too many fish for them to do so. I do actually fancy a crack at Hemlington. I hear some good things about the fishing. However, the stories I hear about the dangers to your car, gear and person are somewhat less appealing. When blokes that live close by tell you they won't fish there, it's a bit worrying.

Spiro

Site Supporter
I’m Nah, I had to buy a different rod licence to fish it and Northumbrian Water are still in control of it. It's not really a Yorkshire river. ;) :p

I'm aware of the crucian form of both. However, having been born in the County Borough of Teesside that morphed into Cleveland, I've never quite considered Middlesbrough to be North Yorkshire. I do accept that folks older and younger than I do.

Back when I was a nipper, the only crucian water I knew of was Willowgarth. I couldn't fish it, but I used to cycle there just to see crucians in the flesh, even though someone else was doing the catching. There may well have been others to the North and East, but they may as well have been on the moon (and not in Yorkshire!:p). Into my late teens and twenties, there were crucians in Broken Brae and its short lived counterpart near Melsonby. Neither are available to fish now. Shield's/Burtree near Crakehall had what were supposed to be crucians. I'm not entirely sure what the fishing situation is with this one these days. I also believe that Dalton Gates has some crucians. I do remember catching a few here years ago. Much like Rising Sun actually finding them can be very hit and miss. They also don't seem to get to any size.

The last place I actually caught a crucian was Rising Sun. It's not a crucian venue I'd hang my hat on. They've been in there a while but don't seem to be achieving any great size. I suspect that there's far too many fish for them to do so. I do actually fancy a crack at Hemlington. I hear some good things about the fishing. However, the stories I hear about the dangers to your car, gear and person are somewhat less appealing. When blokes that live close by tell you they won't fish there, it's a bit worrying.
wow you brought back happy memories,back in the day,think our school taught us to write our addresses,and I’m not 100%,but it ended in Middlesbrough part of North riding?then teeside,then Cleveland ,and now nobody knows where they live,i used to live in smoggy land,and fished Hemlington lake,Albert park,the tees Yarm nd Stockton,swale at top cliff,cundall ect,even up to Poole hospital pond,which has been completely fenced off now by the residents on the grounds,all political,

Simon R

Site Supporter
However, having been born in the County Borough of Teesside that morphed into Cleveland, I've never quite considered Middlesbrough to be North Yorkshire. I do accept that folks older and younger than I do.
Middlesbrough was in the North Riding of Yorkshire when I was born - indeed Yorkshire CC would play a county championship match here at least once a season, the last one being in 1996 which was ironically also the year that Cleveland County was abolished putting Middlesbrough 'for administrative purposes' back within North Yorkshire. During the football clubs UEFA cup runs in 2004/2005/2006 there were two main chants sung by the crowd - one relating to the barcodes ooop north and the other "Just a small town in Yorkshire, we're just a small town in Yorkshire"

I do actually fancy a crack at Hemlington. I hear some good things about the fishing. However, the stories I hear about the dangers to your car, gear and person are somewhat less appealing. When blokes that live close by tell you they won't fish there, it's a bit worrying.
It used to be far worse down there - back when Middlesbrough AC used to run the April / May opens on there in the mid-80s there were two recommended car-parks, one of which, behind the shopping centre was surrounded by a 3' brick wall - heaven for the local burglars and until the club actually stated posting security on match days it was a rare event to go a week without a car being nicked or broken into. Fortunately I knew people who lived in the 'C's so could park outside their house in the residents only section.

The car-park at the other end of the lake (Nuneaton Drive) has been enlarged and re-landscaped so you can keep an eye on your vehicle from most parts of the lake.
You're unlikely to come to any sort of physical harm down there but the kids can be a bloody nightmare, the ones who are fishing themselves are bad enough "can I borrow a hook / a float / some maggots please Mr", the non-fishing ones will nick anything not tied down, jump in the lake, throw the dog in the lake and once they get bored with that start throwing rocks in the lake, at each other and eventually anglers. 😲
Avoid school holidays and it's usually fairly quiet - I walk the dog round the place every couple of weeks and generally it's just the normal collection of alkys and smack-heads staggering around.

Simon

Spiro

Site Supporter
All sounds about correct,I miss them named ponds,did u ever fish the dock pond at teesport,? Also last time I fished Poole hospital,stunning location,about 7 kids carrying wooden pallets on their head with tackle boxes on top,followed by 6 males carrying rodholdhalls,next thing kids put ropes over trees and swung and jumped in pond ,whilst adults chopped up some pallets and made fires,bloody nightmare day,thought I’d entered an Apache Indian reservation,hence I just packed up and left,

Pompous git

Site Supporter
Water after water have been infested and ruined with carp, even double figure fish are two a penny. Sodding things.

Total

Site Supporter
Water after water have been infested and ruined with carp, even double figure fish are two a penny. Sodding things.
Only moaning 'cos you can't catch 'em! :oops: ;).....That Kirbeeee carp loss really left a mark on you!:whistle:(y)

Pompous git

Site Supporter
That`s the trouble I can catch them, by bloody accident!

Massive powerful feeder rods with whacking great leads, whatever happened to finesse:(

Snot proper fishing!

Simon R

Site Supporter
All sounds about correct,I miss them named ponds,did u ever fish the dock pond at teesport,? Also last time I fished Poole hospital,stunning location,about 7 kids carrying wooden pallets on their head with tackle boxes on top,followed by 6 males carrying rodholdhalls,next thing kids put ropes over trees and swung and jumped in pond ,whilst adults chopped up some pallets and made fires,bloody nightmare day,thought I’d entered an Apache Indian reservation,hence I just packed up and left,
Dockers Pond I fished as a guest of a member - way back in the mid-80s
We'd fish Locke Park in the morning (usually fairly unsuccessfully) then get set-up down Dockers to do a night session before deciding who was gonna do the fish n chip run - back then there was only one late night take-away - the long since vanished Boro Fish Bar - the food was generally awful but at 2am in the morning you were happy with anything. :p

dockers136a.jpg dockers137a.jpg

These are just a couple of photos I happened to have scanned - I'm on the right with four carp for (according to the brief entry in my fishing diary) 22lb - the largest being 7lb 8oz - June 26th 1984. Think I fished the place about nine or ten times over the course of two or three years.

Poole Hospital Pond was redeveloped a few years ago - nice bit of history here:

Sadly the council have ruled that the bridleway - which had been used to access the lake for some fifty odd years - is not suitable for motors (it never was and claimed more than one exhaust over the years) and have erected barriers to prevent access. So the poor sod who invested all the time and money in the place now faces a twenty minute walk from the closest vehicle access - and then will have to go and park somewhere else 'cos most of the estate is residents only.

Simon

Spiro

Site Supporter
Wow enjoyed the history,nd pics,that was the original dockers pond,before it was drained and redug further to left,I ain’t fished there since it moved,

Simon R

Site Supporter
I haven't fished the new Dockers Pond - never even seen it to be honest, although I understand the requirements to fish it have been toughened up a little.

My mate who I guested with got his ticket through working at British Steel and occasionally working (as a sparkie) down at Redcar Ore Terminal - not really a docker or a dock worker but I think if you could see the top of a crane from where you worked you could blag a ticket :p

Simon

Spiro

Site Supporter
Nice one,I don’t know who owns the rights,the new pond has the same problems as the old very shallow,1ft to 3ft,depending on the weather,no worries tho as,I moved out of Cleveland area,