For the love of all that is holy, carp.

dave brittain 1

Site Supporter
River fishing is something I've only ever tried a handful of times. I don't have the knowledge to do it really. The extent of my technique on rivers would be fishing a bomb and letting it roll along the bottom with a bit bunch of maggots on a size 12. Thats because I think I remember John Wilson doing it.
You're missing out on what I consider to be the most rewarding and enjoyable aspect of our sport, not to mention the fundamental evolution of skill sets that'll help you develop as an angler.

There's not a lot better than a 1lb roach caught as part of a net of red fins on an autumn days or a nice net of chub in the middle of winter caught on bread.

Total

Site Supporter
Yeah I’ve heard bad things about the kennet and Loddon as my dad used to fish them back in the day. The lowest I’ve been on the Thames is chertsey and tbh it fishes really well from there all the way up to the upstream limit of where I’ve fished it at Northmoor. Sandford and medley in particularly are almost like commercials when in good condition. Have you fished it much around this way in recent years? I’ve got a week on the severn in September first time I’ll have been there in 3 years so buzzing for it! Really want to try the Trent as seems it can compete with the Thames for roach and bream.

Your dock fishing sounds fascinating I must say, I wouldn’t have a clue what to do in such environment unless it were saltwater!
I've not fished your area of the Thames for years....My Thames patch was more Staines, Sonning etc and the tidal area around my docks and the likes of Westminster, Chelsea, London Bridge areas....Although I know what's going on around the other Thames areas via the angling/friends network..

Regarding my docks, I've been fishing them 35 years and I still don't know what I'm doing! :love: :giggle:

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
I've not fished your area of the Thames for years....My Thames patch was more Staines, Sonning etc and the tidal area around my docks and the likes of Westminster, Chelsea, London Bridge areas....Although I know what's going on around the other Thames areas via the angling/friends network..
Ah I see. I think the middle Thames is a bit like the middle severn in that it’s a pretty exceptional fishery completely different to the rest of the river. Very different river down your way I believe? Tidal for starters isn’t it? I’ve only fished a couple tidal rivers in Norfolk and it’s a bizarre experience to say the least!

Total

Site Supporter
Ah I see. I think the middle Thames is a bit like the middle severn in that it’s a pretty exceptional fishery completely different to the rest of the river. Very different river down your way I believe? Tidal for starters isn’t it?........
It was exceptional, but :poop: now! :ROFLMAO:

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
^^ Not even 5 average bream on my docks!;):love:
Ah yeah tbf the winning bream weights are more like double that but most matches are roach matches. Bream matches tend to be first couple weeks of the season and then late autumn early winter with roach matches mid summer to mid autumn 👍🏻

Total

Site Supporter
How do you hold a shoal of bream whilst river fishing? Is it like burning tenners in terms of bait?

Not kidding, I haven't a clue.
It doesn't have to be....;).....Most of my biggest river bream/docks/reservoir catches are simply brown and white crumb concoctions ....I tend to use plenty of particles in my bream fishing, corn, pellet, hemp etc.....

Even my commercial breaming is very simple, Pro Thatchers and F1 sweet with various amounts of leam depending on the time of year and food content I'm aiming for.....Again particle content for me is important, dead maggots, micros, 4mm pellet, worm etc(y)

MartinWY

Site Supporter
It doesn't have to be....;).....Most of my biggest river bream/docks/reservoir catches are simply brown and white crumb concoctions ....I tend to use plenty of particles in my bream fishing, corn, pellet, hemp etc.....

Even my commercial breaming is very simple, Pro Thatchers and F1 sweet with various amounts of leam depending on the time of year and food content I'm aiming for.....Again particle content for me is important, dead maggots, micros, 4mm pellet, worm etc(y)
You are clearly richer than me. I consider a pint of maggots expensive. :ROFLMAO:

Interesting how you mention crumb. There was a time where it was all I could afford. It worked though. Then I got addicted to the smell of Sensas Lake and my pocket money suffered accordingly. Why does it smell so bloody nice that stuff?

How do you ensure your particle feed ends up where you want? Are we talking about reading the flow of the water and baiting upstream aways? How do you judge the speed of the water below the surface in doing so, especially in a deeper river?

Perhaps I'm asking too much for this thread. Sorry.

Total

Site Supporter
You are clearly richer than me. I consider a pint of maggots expensive. :ROFLMAO:

Interesting how you mention crumb. There was a time where it was all I could afford. It worked though. Then I got addicted to the smell of Sensas Lake and my pocket money suffered accordingly. Why does it smell so bloody nice that stuff?

How do you ensure your particle feed ends up where you want? Are we talking about reading the flow of the water and baiting upstream aways? How do you judge the speed of the water below the surface in doing so, especially in a deeper river?

Perhaps I'm asking too much for this thread. Sorry.
Your alright, don't worry.....;)......You of course have to mix your groundbait to suit each individual application/depth/flow, it's not an exact science....When using crumb, the white crumb amount determines the stickiness etc and of course how much water you mix it with ,but it can be a mare to get right, experience/mistakes teach you this.....Try to get into the habit of measuring everything out it helps with repeatability as do making notes....

As for judging where to cast/accuracy etc.....I do use a feeding feeder if putting plenty of bait down and clip up on this.....Where I'm catching my fish (or not) will tell me if I've been accurate with my feeding....(y)

Rick123

Site Supporter
I can fish my carp venue and not catch carp, I'm sure you could too. Just fish a waggler with maggots and corn, and don't over-bait the swim. You will catch skimmers, roach, perch on most of the carp venues. Fish a little off the bottom too, try that. Naturally at some stage Mr Carp will make an appearance, live with it.

rob6709

Site Supporter
Had me a match on one of those easy carp commercials today, caught nothing but skimmers (slimey horrible things) :smoke:

John Step

Site Supporter
Without wanting to pry, what sort of rough figure would a person be looking at to join such a syndicate? I've heard all sorts of figures for carp syndicates, but I don't honestly think I've come across a mixed syndicate, although to be fair, I probably wouldn't know where to look.
My syndicate is made of 10 friends originally but now 13. Thats it. No more until someone leaves.
We pay the farmer 1000 per year and membership costs 100 each.
Its a deep farm reservoir about 4 acres that we have naturalised with trees and rushes etc over the years.
It does contain carp but you have to fish for them.
We have stocked tench and crucians and there are abundant roach and rudd in there.
Bream have started to appear maybe carried in on the old idea of bird feet . Who knows.

To kick it off it required an ordnance survey map and diplomacy.
Its a treasure with no rules as idiots would not be tolerated.

John Step

Site Supporter
Sorry but more excuses and negativity instead of striving to learn seems the order of the day.

Northantslad

'Any indications?
Site Supporter
I think much of where people fish may be driven by what they have available to them, but Martin in this case, you mention you travelled/went away to fish the venues on a break and had geared up accordingly-margin pole, suggesting carp were to be a target at some point of the trip. So i am guessing that your frustration is that wherever you went, you were plagued by carp and were hoping for a mixed species break? With planning to travel and that plan to travel opening up your options i would think, could you have planned your venues and subsequently in advance to give you that variety?

So i'm thinking that either, where location wise you wanted to go drove where you ended up fishing, or and as i do appreciate can be the case, you were going to struggle to find silvers only or at least non carp venues in abundance anywhere within your scope for travel?

They do exist though and also on some of the complex type waters, some owners are appreciating the carp boom having peaked with some and do have dedicated silvers only lakes, but yes rare currently.

On the flip side, imagine a day where you fancied some carp action and getting that pole some use, but the carp weren't playing ball, an expectation to bag up on arrival soon turns to annoyance in cases and i am firmly in the camp of carp in commercials not always being easy despite what anyone says. My frustration comes certainly when that happens, especially when i a match situation, although in a challenge way, i do like personally when it is a struggle, because firstly i have to think harder and secondly i do, as you, not so much in a match situation of course, but generally do get 'carped out' quite easily. When that happens in a session or in my mind after fishing for them on several back to back to sessions, i do something else and will travel 90 minutes to do it if required now that we can again.

On the short term, i fished with the lad and 3 mates on Saturday at a commercial and on the back of my most recent session prior to it on a commercial also. Saturday started slow for all, then picked up as the day went on. So, over the 8 hour session, the first 3 hours we were almost miffed and down about things, in the next 5 hours and after then getting a good few fish between us, had our fill and ready for a pint by 3pm. I had done what i set out to do however and that was to fish some new paste rigs and to try out different presentations of pellet on the pole, i think going with a plan in place and an objective sometimes helps. I caught less than some of the residents who were dumping bait in every fish two foot out and fishing over it and bagging a carp one a chuck all day, but i didn't want to fish that way, i rarely do to be honest. I like to challenge myself and go with an objective, that in a pleasure session, isn't always to catch as much as possible, this way i don't get 'bored' and i do have think how arrogant that statement may seem to those who want to catch plenty and may be starting out, so it certainly isn't said intending to be arrogant, i think people start out, love commercials, get better, get wiser sometimes, then look to vary their fishing and seek out other challenges. I am at this latter part of that journey.

I couldn't fish these places day after day, or session after session and in a few weeks we have week break going to exactly the type of venue you describe, all 3 are carp lakes with silvers and very good ones mixed in, i certainly break the week up by having silvers sessions and although strangely it doesn't happen much where we go, my biggest frustration on mixed lakes anywhere, is when you gear up for and target silvers, only to find yourself tackling up again when a carp trashes things. Hence, like you i think, more dedicated non carp lakes, especially within a complex setting, is required.

Can't live with them, but can't live without them is how i see it. I was sat in Nov and Dec on my local non carp lake enjoying some good roach fishing (this can be done to good effect on mixed venues to in winter/cooler months), freezing cold, tough conditions and thinking i can't wait for a bit of warm weather and to get the heavier elastics out for some carp, i have now had that warmth, stretched those elastics and my next session won't be on a commercial, i may do some specimen carping until the rivers open in a couple of weeks, then finally after a tough couple years not being able to, it's Barbel time(y)

Last edited: