For or against the Closed Season?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
Hi all,

C'mon then what are your views on the Closed Season?
Several years ago when before the growth of the commercials, the close season was adhered to religiously up and down the country. If you wanted to go fishing you had the choice of Piking or Trout fishing as the rivers and stillwaters were out of bounds for coarse fishing.
This as we all know changed to allow coarse fishing on 'closed waters' subject to their owner's consent.

Over to you.......

Dave

Trogg

the bouncer
Staff member
Site Supporter
& now its no closed season on still waters.

Hmm this is a tricky one boss as i like to stick with tradition when possible BUT with the evidence of breeding patterns changing along with our climate i would say abolish the closed season for a trial period & see how it go's.

If at the end of the trials there is evidence to support the reinstatement of the closed season then so be it otherwise just leave it as open all year.

I can't understand why more people haven't replied to this??

Alan
You've just been moderated

danzante

Giz a chance Al,
not long arrived home, took the dog....errrrr went for a walk with the missus, the closed season?, if i would have heard of threats to the fish, then have it back, otherwise leave well alone eh?.

Imo,a lot of fisheries would go under if we had the closed season, having said that i don't visit them.

Alan, you remind me of our local police....you can hear them but you never see them :)

Danny

danzante

Where is the edit box?,i can see three boxes at the top..profile, my wife's house and a reply quote box????
sorry if i appear dumb, uh uh, can't do a smiley now.
yes i can

Danny

Trogg

the bouncer
Staff member
Site Supporter
try putting your mouse over the little boxes gonadazte & it'll tell you what the little box with the pencil on it does. (oh it edits post by the way).

If you really really wanna see me mate click on my profile n take a look at the pic
warning do not attempt this action with children present!!!

Alan

G

You look like a large chap Trogg.
Back to the thread,closed season never give it a thought Dave,when the rivers close i fish the ponds.
But if it helps the fish stock to expand, by doing what fish do
making more fish then i"m all for it.
Let the fish have a little privacy while they do you know what
beer-toast1.gif Toma

esox.20

04/11/01 - 12/10/15
In Memoriam
Its not just a case of FISH. Its allowing the country side to rejuvenate its self. Theres a lot more wild life that reproduces at this time and the peace and quiet of no anglers gives them a head start.
I also believe that the constant pressure of anglers over the full year will have a detrimental effect on the standard of fishing. It will slowly go down hill. John

chill out go fishing

danzante

Alan,
ure spelin is stil carp,
i know about the mouse over the boxes, i don't have an edit one

should there be four boxes?.

Sorry about this Dave, i have enough problems with the letter c.

Danny

G

Good point esox.20, how would we feel being interupted during rumpy pumpy time
beer-toast1.gif
Toma

Nige

I reckon its just about right now, pools/canals remaining open and rivers shutting, allthough there's still room for discussion on when and how long they should be closed, but close they should.

Nige, Wishin I was Fishin

martin.

Account Locked
hi
a closed season is a ?
if its for fish then some fish start spawning in feb (pike)
some dont spawn till end of june
if its for vegitation then why are everybody else allowed on bank.
there are qustions and anwers & arguments on all views from all sides.

tight lines.
martin.

Peter

'Mugger'
Staff member
Site Supporter
I think that it should be up to the individual fishery.
I don't think that fish that are spawning should be fished for,as they are probably under enough stress already,but thats only my own opinion.

Peter. thumbsup.gif
Happiness is a rod in your hand.

MALC

Personally i miss the old full close season as it was a time to recharge the batteries and plan for the new season ahead, clean and service all the tackle and a chance to do things with the family and around the house (D********G).

It was a time that was spent on work parties sorting out club waters and finding new waters to try.

June 16th used to be a very special day even if it normally ment a blank session.

Now i fish all year at least once a week in winter and upto 7 times a week in summer. In the last year the longest i've gone with out fishing is 7 days and i sort my gear out almost every day.

I think as Peter has said that there should be a period of shut down on every venue to allow the fish to spawn in peace and as John has said if the waters get fished all the time then it wont be to long till the fishing gets harder and harder with the pressure put on them, which in my opinion is 1 reason why commercial's have an on going stocking programe to cover the fall in numbers of fish banked that otherwise would occure if they were not regularly restocked.

Take Drayton Res as an example (they have no restockings) when it started as a carp water you needed 100 fish to weigh in 100lb now you only need 10 or 12 to get 100lb but not every one will weigh that amount in so whats happened to the other fish.
If that made sense.

Malc ghost.gif ZIPPY CURSE CLUB MEMBER 001

Zinky

Grumpy
Not decided yet still 50/50 on the subject.
But the 16th June has lost all its magic.

Trogg

the bouncer
Staff member
Site Supporter
quote:
Good point esox.20, how would we feel being interupted during rumpy pumpy time
beer-toast1.gif
Toma

Toma me ol china
I spent 14 yrs working on the travelling fairs (the gaff) so i did get disturbed while having a charva (i'll leave you tofigure out what charva is) & believe me mate on the fairs we just sorted out the disturbance (usually a very drunk mate who needed a ahem "push" in the right direction) then it was back to the job in hand (well not "in hand" but in hand if you know what i mean LOL)

John (esox) no offence mate but when you consider that during our closed season the ramblers are starting their "rambling season" nature isn't actually going to get that much of a rest but your point is valid & one which i never thought of.

Alan

Geoff P

The MOGerator
Staff member
Site Supporter
I remember my first trip to Cornwall in 1987, there wasn't a closed season in Cornwall on lakes then. I don't recall much fuss in the West Country then.

Personally in the close season I used to go to Ireland fishing, as did a lot of the top matchmen so obviously they weren't too concerned about it.

The fish seem to spawn at different times of the year according to species.

I think the relevance of the closed season has gone now, as other people as said, what is the closed season for. If it is for the regeneration of the actual waterside then all ramblers, dog walkers etc should be banned as well. Not really realistic is it?

thumbsup.gif Geoff

mookie

mookie
Evening lads....bout the closed season well l understand the principles of it...but why keep the commercials open and shut the rivers .....because both nowadays have near the same fish in them..loads of commercials up here up have barbel chub in them but they are open ? do the stillwater versions of these fish spawn at different times or dont they breed at all ??....

Ta Ta lads and lasses...

Mook

martin.

Account Locked
hi
june 16th still a special day for me
for last 10 years 2pm 15th june car loaded & down to peterborough
enbankment on the nene meetup with afew others start baiting up ready for magical midnight.
march 14th 2pm back to same place fish till midnight then home to drown my sorrows.
1st tue after march 14th back on pits till june no canals nearby.

tight lines.
martin.

Ziptrev

05/10/01 - 18/10/02
In Memoriam
Well, I'm Back!!!
So better join in this 1 and to avoid a long one and the moans! , cover 2 or 3
Close season!
Very relevant comments, with Pike spawning in february and Carp and Tench in July!!
What about the Birds?
Nice new nest, just hatched and desperate to feed chicks on 15th June and the previous peaceful site (which is why we bought this semi-detached nest anyway!) gets ruined by a horde of Anglers!
Result, abandoned chicks.
I'm sending to red leader (No scanner!) A German Fishing permit, Highlighting their STAGGERED Close Seasons!
eg Barbel,15th May to 30th June!
Pike 1st January to 30th June!
Grayling 1st Mar to 30th April!
No comment, but an alternative thought to the thread.
Will enclose the hook tyer instruction leaflet too, Dave.
By the way, even the Amerikanischerflusskreiss (Signal Crayfish) is listed, but does not have a close season!
Cheers all, see all the Donny boys on sat.

Trev

Ziptrev
I do NOT BELIEVE it

Edited by - Ziptrev on 07 March 2002 10:33:48 PM

Ferret1959

Snake breeder.
I think the closed season should be moved if not scrapped.
Move it to Jan till March this seems to be more of a breeding season in our recent climates.
As for the preserving the banks thing if we are stopped going on the bank and just sitting there why not everyone else?

Dave.
dave@tjsangling.co.uk
www.tjsangling.co.uk

Status
Not open for further replies.