football and the pandemic....

Arry

Aitch, Cantankerous old gimmer with "Views"
Site Supporter
These are just my musings.... you don't have to agree or disagree, just don't give me stick over it .....

Does anyone else think that the clubs cries of bringing fans back to footie matches is self serving and selfish...??? to be honest I think it's totally daft to even think about it with the way people behave... meeting in pubs before and after the games, meeting outside the ground, queuing to get in..... and christ...!!! what about local derby games...??? do we need another Anfield style disaster...??? because you and I know that certain fans will try and force the issue....

Maybe if they hadn't sold their souls to Sky tv they could run live pay per view streams with the revenue being ploughed back into the clubs, but I suppose the lure of filthy lucre was too much... and the TV companies could help here and divert some of the cash that they take in sky sports revenue, back to the clubs to help with the bills... after all the big tv firms are getting their cash anyway so why not help out the clubs, other wise there'll not be any footie to broadcast as the clubs will have gone bust...

Anyway the way some players are behaving it looks like there'll be precious few left to play the game in the future... Ho hum... maybe if they'd have called off the season when all this broke, they'd have been in a better position to continue with this season... who knows....

160642fishing

Site Supporter
These are just my musings.... you don't have to agree or disagree, just don't give me stick over it .....

Does anyone else think that the clubs cries of bringing fans back to footie matches is self serving and selfish...??? to be honest I think it's totally daft to even think about it with the way people behave... meeting in pubs before and after the games, meeting outside the ground, queuing to get in..... and christ...!!! what about local derby games...??? do we need another Anfield style disaster...??? because you and I know that certain fans will try and force the issue....

Maybe if they hadn't sold their souls to Sky tv they could run live pay per view streams with the revenue being ploughed back into the clubs, but I suppose the lure of filthy lucre was too much... and the TV companies could help here and divert some of the cash that they take in sky sports revenue, back to the clubs to help with the bills... after all the big tv firms are getting their cash anyway so why not help out the clubs, other wise there'll not be any footie to broadcast as the clubs will have gone bust...

Anyway the way some players are behaving it looks like there'll be precious few left to play the game in the future... Ho hum... maybe if they'd have called off the season when all this broke, they'd have been in a better position to continue with this season... who knows....
No-ones going to help them for free Arry while they continue to spend silly money on transfers,agents and wages for players and the situation at Arsenal when they were going to fire the mascot to save money yet continue to pay Mesut Ozil £350,000 a WEEK is beyond belief !,I know it's been overturned but it just shows how the powers that be who run these clubs are so out of touch with reality and their fans.

Northantslad

'Any indications?
Heard some facts recently i can agree with and given during discussion on the covid matter and/or the big 6s latest proposal, which the proposal of has interesting timing.

On top of the wages, of which the ridiculous nature of them is only amplified at times like this, there was plenty spent in the recent transfer window- the case against some clubs having a point.

One thing i have heard from the politician side which does make some sense was that' it isn't necessarily what goes on in the grounds, the issue is how football fans behave before and after around the ground'. My take on that was not so much bad behaviour, more the natural milling around that could strain measures and strain the resources needed to police it.

The case for- all the other things that continue to be permitted- concerts at the albert hall and the like.

My own personal thoughts- if a league by league wage structure had come in when it needed too (far too late now), then there may be a bit more in the pot.

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
I don't follow football much these days as there's just too much rubbish involved with it now but my understanding is that the push for fans returning is to save the lower league clubs. My understanding is that the tv money for the premier league and such clubs sponsorship money could keep those clubs afloat for years but in the lower leagues the clubs which are obviously without those two things would be be screwed in no time at all.

Yorkieboy70

Site Supporter
The premiership clubs are not gonna be skint, 100 million for coming last ain't too bad. Lower league football will suffer as they have nowhere near that money coming in. The deal the top 6 put to the premier league was 250 million pounds up front plus 20% of future TV deals. That's has been rejected by majority of premier league teams, plus reducing league to 18 and losing efl cup. Sky,BT have offered to show games on pay per view at £15 a game, never the same as being live at the game, shut all pubs round the grounds on match day, say within 2 miles, a third of the grounds capacity allowed in with masks and sanitizing and I see no problem. Fans get to see some games per season and clubs get revenue.

62tucker

Site Supporter
No-ones going to help them for free Arry while they continue to spend silly money on transfers,agents and wages for players and the situation at Arsenal when they were going to fire the mascot to save money yet continue to pay Mesut Ozil £350,000 a WEEK is beyond belief !,I know it's been overturned but it just shows how the powers that be who run these clubs are so out of touch with reality and their fans.
Isn’t it Ozil who said he would pay the mascot wages

160642fishing

Site Supporter
The premiership clubs are not gonna be skint, 100 million for coming last ain't too bad. Lower league football will suffer as they have nowhere near that money coming in. The deal the top 6 put to the premier league was 250 million pounds up front plus 20% of future TV deals. That's has been rejected by majority of premier league teams, plus reducing league to 18 and losing efl cup. Sky,BT have offered to show games on pay per view at £15 a game, never the same as being live at the game, shut all pubs round the grounds on match day, say within 2 miles, a third of the grounds capacity allowed in with masks and sanitizing and I see no problem. Fans get to see some games per season and clubs get revenue.
The ridiculous thing is though is that the lower league developement teams are allowed 600 spectators into the same ground as the first team,a team like my local National League team Kings Lynn could probably accomodate 600 in their seating area while abiding by social distancing,it's not a lot but might just be the difference between staying solvent and going broke.

Northantslad

'Any indications?
Without spoiling or looking to spoil this section with politics, of which mine are quite a way left of the right, i do feel for this government in some respects. Imagine when this all started they did what may be could have been done and said: right it is impossible to have one single and generic control measure to cover all aspects of life, so we therefore ask that businesses, social environments, workplaces etc put in place their own measures to fit their individual circumstances and nature of that place....

They would have been slaughtered for passing the buck.

Now, what is being almost demanded? Exactly that and for financial reasoning when it is all stripped back. Seems to me the grey area in all of that, is livelihoods of clubs, the people that work at/for them and balanced against the income that football brings to the national coffers. The current contradictions that are happening now are due to other industries, perhaps with more clout and contribution to the national coffers or maybe more influence at government level, demanding to have control of their measures. Local councils, organisations and some areas such as education having to continue as near to normal as possible and in higher exposure numbers than can then be permitted outside of that industry.

So all in all, and i don't claim to be einstein for reaching this conclusion, that i am sure others got to or may be even have said, is that money would and does appear to be quite high on the agenda, should it ever go higher than saving life? The national coffers are needed to be fed in order to sustain that life i would think, but everyone should be clear i think on what is essential investment.

If government aren't in position to assist the lower league clubs or don't deem it a prudent investment in the current climate and as balanced against what they bring into the coffer, then the only hope is the better off clubs and leagues in supporting them, which is then reliant on the owners of these clubs in deciding if the lower leagues and lower league clubs are a foundation of football or something they don't need to give a second thought to in having anything to do with ensuring the top of their tower doesn't collapse. Unfortunately and given how many of the top clubs have gone in terms of ownership, i wouldn't think many see the lower league club on its backside as a crack in the foundations of their income.

Money, money, money ruined football years ago and now it shows, along with an inability to govern itself correctly at times.