FOOT AND MOUTH NEW PLEASE READ

Status
Not open for further replies.

esox.20

04/11/01 - 12/10/15
In Memoriam
Two sheep have been slaughtered in Hawnby North Yorkshire after lesions were found in their mouths. Amid a renewed Foot and Mouth scare. Source of this info is from ceefax BBC 2 page 105. John
And has now been shown on national news. F& m is only suspected NOT confirmed John

chill out go fishing

Edited by - esox.20 on 26 February 2002 10:20:39 PM

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
Cheers John for that, hopefully it's not raising it's head again.

I've found the article on-line here: http://news.bbc.co.uk/hi/english/uk/newsid_1843000/1843004.stm

Dave

Peter

'Mugger'
Staff member
Site Supporter
Fingers crossed that this isn't a new outbreak,could be the last straw for many farmers.

Peter. thumbsup.gif
Happiness is a rod in your hand.

Ziptrev

05/10/01 - 18/10/02
In Memoriam
Last Straw Peter?
Townie lol,
They'll take the compensation, lay the ground fallow, dig 4 Carp lakes and make a fortune!
Aint mant farmers on the dole queue round here!

Trev

Ziptrev
I do NOT BELIEVE it

Geoff P

The MOGerator
Staff member
Site Supporter
Now trev,

What a way to talk about our downtrodden tillers of the earth. Why one local farmer can't afford to put new tyres on his Y Reg top of the range Discovery. He is down to drinking 5 bottles of redwine instead of the 16 Chablis.

I think they deserve all of our sympathy. I did read that one farmer stood to get 2.4 million from the last outbreak.

Joking aside it has affected the farming community, some a lot worse than others. It does appear that the most well off complain the most, then isn't that the case in all walks of life.

thumbsup.gif Geoff

Frank

Hello everyone,

The latest that I heard is that tests are being carried out to determine if it is F&M and a 5 mile exclusion zone has been placed around the farm.
Hopefully not again but the one thing that I cannot and will never understand about this Government and lets not forget MAFF et al, is why on earth did they not vaccinate all new stocks?
Sometimes lessons are never learn't.

Frank

esox.20

04/11/01 - 12/10/15
In Memoriam
Frank, re vaccination its all down to money. If live stock are vaccinated then when blood tests are done for export puposes, it reveals antibodies. This is enough to prevent the export any where in the world. It also means a vast increase in the cost of rearing.
So all goverments find it cheaper not to do anything untill theres an outbreak.
I believe that in this case the tests proved negative but another 96 hours are required to be positive.

chill out go fishing

esox.20

04/11/01 - 12/10/15
In Memoriam
Its me again. Irrespective of what we think of farmers we should be behind them 100%. It is down to there good will and money, that we get to fish the water on their land.

chill out go fishing

martin.

Account Locked
hi essox
i totaly agree some of our banks are shared with farmers and there stock keeps grass short for us
at last outbreak we shut our banks everywhere where they were near grazzing the farmers also allow us access through there farms at some places which can save a lot of walking.
it is up to the whole communitee to pull together.

tight lines.
martin.

Peter

'Mugger'
Staff member
Site Supporter
Trev,
Fair comment with regard to the actual farmers,it was the farm workers/labourers that i was thinking about along with the small rural business's that are affected the worst by this sort of thing,with little or no hope of compensation.

Peter. thumbsup.gif

Trogg

the bouncer
Staff member
Site Supporter
When i was working on transport before xmas i had the misfortune to be delivering around yorkshire.

We had to do a delivery to a farm & i refused to go through the gate as i didn't want to be responsible for the spread of F&M, so we rang the farmers mobile number & he asked us to wait while he came to get the machine.

After 30 mins i was fed up of waiting & rang him again, he apologised & said he was on his way, 10 mins later he came round the corner of the barn in a telescopic JCB fork lift which he asked us to put the machine on (he extended it out of the gate) he then thanked us for thinking which is more than the RAMBLERS who had crossed his land a week before had done.

He told us that the farm over the valley had been infected & the lot had been slaughtered, the ramblers had crossed that farm the day before the killing had begun.

He then burst into tears (seeing a grown man openly cry is a humbling thing) he apologised & told us he was so long getting to us because his heard was being prepared for slaughter as we were waiting.

Its not very often i am lost for words but what do you say to a hard working man who's about to see his entire livelyhood destroyed & all because of some self righteous twats who decided they had a god given right to march across his land???

Alan
You've just been moderated

Ziptrev

05/10/01 - 18/10/02
In Memoriam
Hey Lads, Only Geoff picked up the point!!!Fallow land policy and the lack of respect fot farming by these labor twits is killing the land.
For the record, I was born in East Anglia, my father worked for a Farmer at 14 when he left school and apart from the war, retired there 51 years later,
23 years on and my parents still live in the same tied house!
Thev only thing thats changed is that the Farming Family died out, a remote cousin took over and they started charging rent! No occupational pension of course, so the only benefit from 51 years service wiped out AND of course, its a remote place, built 1600s and falling down, No central Heating, double glazing,1 coal fire in whole house!, yeah.

However,
The Farmer, who has spent years building up breeding stock, only to see it wiped out by this Governments incompetence has my every sympathy.
It takes at least 10, better 20 years to build up breeding stock, so any of them over 45 years old are facing a dreadful prospect.
Blair has shown time and time again his total non understanding of the Country, fox hunting is a prime example, (his promise to end it was read out! who pulled strings then.
He is only interested in glorification issues and lawyers, What a job he did for his old boss Lord Dery, who can spend 300 a yard on wallpaper! Byers turn to be protected now doh!
BUT spend on vaccines! No Way, and a dead sheep John, doesnt even get to fail an antibody test.
Whilst ever Britain has an efficient Farming system (and only 2.5% of the common vote) and France continues with the split land on death policy (and 15% of the common vote) Blair will ignore the farmers!
AND he'll be voting for us to join the single currency!

Sorry if you got it wrong folks, but I come from REAL world farming.

Cheers
Trev
P.S.
My fathers occupation on my birth certificate! Farm Horseman! Anybody else know one?
He looked after 7 pairs of Suffolk Punches (Thats the Horse depicted on Ipswich Towns Football Clubs Badge)
Why 7 pairs and not 14? Answers on a Postcard please! At the same time, just for Waxi, Whats a Suffolk Blackface? lol
Tell me about Farming!

Trev

Ziptrev
I do NOT BELIEVE it

Edited by - Ziptrev on 27 February 2002 11:00:28 PM

Peter

'Mugger'
Staff member
Site Supporter
Trev,
Were the horses trained/used/sold in pairs to pull the ploughs and other farm machinery?

Peter. thumbsup.gif

Ziptrev

05/10/01 - 18/10/02
In Memoriam
Yep Peter,
From Birth they were tested and paired, as just in humans some favour the right foot and some the left.
Whilst it is still disproportionate, in favour of the right, the real Celtic/Man City/Evertonians (That'll make Newt think lol) were paired with strong Right leaners, to endeavour to create a TEAM for ease of straight furrow ploughing.
Some Horses never re-teamed successfully in the event of the demise of one of them!
Others worked with anyone nad some rogues could only be used singly in Rake or Harrow work, but my Dad was proud of maintaining full pairing of his.
The advent of the tractor sadly saw them off in the early 50's when even Geoff was a little boy lol

Trev

Ziptrev
I do NOT BELIEVE it

Status
Not open for further replies.