Following on from shallow spool thread, DAM reels, any experience?

TrickyD

Site Supporter
I was looking for a shallow spooled reel and came across these from DAM, anyone tried them or any of the newer DAM reels? I know it says method, but is small and as light as my present reel I use for float fishing.

nejohn

Site Supporter
I picked a quick 5 up for next to nothing in the pre Christmas angling direct sale and it is a very nice little reel 7+1 bearings alloy body, fully sealed etc. I have used it a couple of times and I must say I found it very good, out of the box it had very good line lay and in use it is very smooth and well balanced, there is just enough resistance in the gears to stop over runs and for its size it is quite powerful, I can't comment on the clutch as I don't use it. Would I have paid the £100+ RRP for it... probably not but I only paid £25.99 for it and would probably happily pay somewhere in the £50-70 region for it. It feels about on par with a Daiwa TDM of a few years ago however I don't know if it will stand the test of time like my Daiwa's have.
On the back of the experience with this reel last time I was in Bobco I had a play with the quick 2 method reel and for a touch over £40 seemed quite a nice reel, certainly it felt every bit as good if not better than the usual £40-50 suspects.
If the quality and durability of the latest DAM reels is anything like the finnessa's of the 90's then they should be fine