Fluorocarbon Leaders and knots for such.

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Need to get some say 10lb, 12lb or 15lb fluorocarbon for my US holiday next month as only have 20lb and 50lb left from my last trip. With the fall in the pound gone are the days when it was cheaper over there so might as well get some here so just wondered what lure and sea anglers on here use? Just after something that knots well really as I’ve found some fluoros can be slippy knot wise in lower breaking strains. Be interested to hear what knots people use for fluoro as well?

DFL

Site Supporter
I use the FG knot, but to tie the fg on a beach is bloody hard work for me, I take a spare spool should I get a wind knot or a break.

I’ve been using mono as a leader this season, I’ve got a huge spool of GLT Pro Gold in 12lb and having my best season so far. The mono is softer which gives the FG knot even greater strength and has more stretch than fluorocarbon, useful when a bass starts thrashing around.

The whole invisibility thing with fluorocarbon doesn’t make a jot of difference when casting lures into sea imo.

Having said all that I know many lure anglers that don’t use a leader at all especially if fishing over clear ground.

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
I should have said I meant the knot to hooks, lures, swivels etc. Never had any issues with strong stuff but have had 5-10lb stuff slip. You’re right on the braid to lead knots are a sod to tie out in the open (not sure what the one I use is called might be FG although uniknot rings a bell) I have to do them on a table with a light on before I go! I’m not against a mono leader if i can get some in leader length spools, just use fluoro out of habit really. Does need to be clear though as will be for bait fishing as well as lure fishing in likely very clear water.

PearTree

Calder Reborn....
Site Supporter
Mono only for me, hate fluoro with a passion. Uni knot for the lighter stuff, 3 turn blood knot for the 100lb+ stuff. FG knot with Rizzuto finish to join them to the braid (easy enough to tie, blobbing the end of the leader with a lighter in a breeze is the difficult bit !) .