Fluorocarbon Hooklengths

Paul22

I only use Flouro on my rigs. Top to bottom.
Not from a sponsored point of view but have you considered Middy Lo-Viz. I've used it long before joining. If I have to choose a flouro that would be it.
I use the middy low vis for all my pole rigs and method hook lengths!
Love it πŸ‘

legs230258

Site Supporter
I have used the Middy low viz since it was launched. I find it has a low diameter with good knot strength and has some stretch in it.
I have tried flurocarbon and find it stiffer than mono but is thicker in diameter than the Middy low viz and It doesn't seem to have as much stretch though.
The argument for flurocarbon is that it is supposedly invisible in water.
I believed flurocarbon to be invisible in water, so tested it in a large clear glass container.
When the tied hook was lowered into the glass container i couldn't see the line, only the hook.
However, when I tried the same hook to the flurocrystal Middy low viz and lowered that into the glass
container, I again could only see the book and not the line. So now I solely use the Middy low viz.
The glass container is a 2' tall spaghetti jar.
I am more than happy to recommend the Middy flurocrystal low viz line.
For it's low diameter, it has both the strength to diameter ratio I need, plus an amount of stretch that I'm
happy with.
Hydrocarbon line has, according to some anglers, given them more success.
I believe it you have confidence in your chosen mono and fish it in finer diameters in winter, you will catch more fish because of its enhanced presentation.
I'll stay with the Middy low viz.

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
Do you like the Middy flurocrystal low viz then Chris ;) ?

I've added two spools to my Bobco cart for the weekend (y)

The Hitman

Site Supporter
Do you like the Middy flurocrystal low viz then Chris ;) ?

I've added two spools to my Bobco cart for the weekend (y)
Be interested how you get on with the Middy line, never used it on my pole or method hook links. Use it on Tamar, on my open end feeder rigs(Drennan Suplex)

robert d

Allways trying to improve
Site Supporter
I've been considering changing over to Fluorocarbon Hooklengths to see if it makes a difference compared to my usual go-to hooklength line - Preston Revo.

I've narrowed it down to two possibilities, Shimano Aero Silk Shock Fluorocarbon and Drennan Supplex Fluorocarbon, and was wondering if anyone has any experience with either, or could throw another make into the mix to confuse me further :) ?
Tried it a few times and had too many breakages at the landing net stage ,i find it a bit brittle when a fish decides to take one last run for freedom . I like accu power or middy lo viz is another excellent line .

adriang

Site Supporter
Unless you are using 50m of line on your reel (Supplex Fluoro is only available in 50m spools), this looks like it might be an example of potential confusion between Supplex Mono and Supplex Fluoro.
Well called out, I could have been clearer.. I'm using it as a hooklength while fishing a running line. I'm using Maxima or Jaxon Crocodile as the reel line

George Jones

Site Supporter
For hooklengths I've been using the Trabucco fluro for a while now. Not easy to get hold of but worth searching for.

squimp

Site Supporter
Stupid question alert:

Is Middy Lo-Viz a pure fluorocarbon line ?

Lots on here seem to like it -but the advertising and the price suggest that it isn’t pure Fluoro ?

somebody just mentioned a Trabucc Fluoro; I used to use Trabucco Diamond a coated fluoro which worked just fine.

grey

Site Supporter
Stupid question alert:

Is Middy Lo-Viz a pure fluorocarbon line ?

Lots on here seem to like it -but the advertising and the price suggest that it isn’t pure Fluoro ?

somebody just mentioned a Trabucc Fluoro; I used to use Trabucco Diamond a coated fluoro which worked just fine.
No, it states it's a fluorocrystal, which I think is a word invented by Middy :D

Not absolutely certain what Middy Lo-Viz is, but suspect it's a fluoro-coated copolymer, rather than the fluoro-coated mono like Trabucco Diamond you use. By the way, Trabucco do sell a pure fluoro also named Diamond which is a bit confusing.

Personally, I find proper Fluoros for light fishing a bit of a pain to handle in practise, and a bit dead and lifeless presentation wise.

Middy Lo-Viz (whatever it is) is a great hooklength and most often a better alternative to a true fluoro.

squimp

Site Supporter
No, it states it's a fluorocrystal, which I think is a word invented by Middy :D

Not absolutely certain what Middy Lo-Viz is, but suspect it's a fluoro-coated copolymer, rather than the fluoro-coated mono like Trabucco Diamond you use. By the way, Trabucco do sell a pure fluoro also named Diamond which is a bit confusing.

Personally, I find proper Fluoros for light fishing a bit of a pain to handle in practise, and a bit dead and lifeless presentation wise.

Middy Lo-Viz (whatever it is) is a great hooklength and most often a better alternative to a true fluoro.
Thank you; that is exactly what I thought.

robert d

Allways trying to improve
Site Supporter

A man in our club won the league using low vis ,he does brilliantly year after year ,he is a very good fisherman and his skill plays a massive part as well . I intend to try using it much more than i have in recent years ,i still rate accu power highly and in my humble opinion both lines take some beating.

JLK

It's an absolute gimmick. It doesn't make the slightest difference to catch rates at all.
Try it sometime.
Set some hook lengths up using the same dia fluorocarbon v same dia hi tec and the same hooks.
Then the next time you start catching well using normal mono swap hooklengths over.
I'm amazed at how many more fish I don't catch by doing so. πŸ˜‰πŸ‘πŸ»

Sportsman

It's an absolute gimmick. It doesn't make the slightest difference to catch rates at all.
Try it sometime.
Set some hook lengths up using the same dia fluorocarbon v same dia hi tec and the same hooks.
Then the next time you start catching well using normal mono swap hooklengths over.
Those who use mono use a specific brand or type of mono. Why? Because they prefer it, and have confidence in it.
Exactly the same reasons why I use the hooklength material that I use.;)

JLK

And your point is what exactly?

Im pretty sure I didn't mention anything about confidence. I mentioned a real world scenario in my own fishing where I compared one against the other.

But since you brought it up. I'm pretty confident it doesn't make any difference whatsoever πŸ˜‰

squimp

Site Supporter
Try it sometime.
For certain kinds of fishing it makes a massive difference- notably some fly fishing.

Chris Calder

Site Supporter
I tried the Drennan fluorocarbon a few years back, binned it all, kinks quite bad and did not think it was very strong.

I used to fish with Fluorocarbon quite a bit, but I'm not convinced that their is any benefit as I have switched top kits with traditional hook links on and seen no difference in catch rate.
I use Colmic Stream as a hook link material as it's strong and stated diameters are accurate.

Sam Vimes

Site Supporter
Much depends on individual expectations of fluorocarbon. The tackle trade lays very heavily into the idea of its invisibility. I started using fluorocarbon for normal coarse fishing after my experiences using it for carping and barbelling. I have no illusions whatsoever about the claims of invisibility/near invisibility in water. It might come close in nice clean water, but as the amount of suspended particles in the water increase, so does the visibility of fluorocarbon. In more extreme cases, I've actually seen fluorocarbon appearing to attract such suspended particles and stand out more than a normal braid or mono.

Despite having little faith in the notion of fluorocarbon's invisibility, I still use it. The reasons for doing so are that I value it being stiffer than mono and that it sinks better than any other type of line. It's also worth saying that I've been using it for hooklinks that are far shorter than most float anglers would ever dream of using. If I were using it based purely on the idea of it being invisible, I'd definitely be using standard mono instead.