Flourocarbon to Spade End/General Knot strength

PJG

I am a bit of an anorak when it comes to knots. I have bought three different spools of Supplex and have thoroughly and carefully tested it - quite frankly I found it to be complete rubbish and threw it all in the bin! However; some people apparently like it - good luck to them.

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
I’ll take that assessment Richox ;) Joking aside I’d describe my knots as simple yet effective lol

A couple variants of the blood knot and couple of the palomar knot do me for 90% of my fishing. Unless you make a hash of tying them in the first place (which does happen from time to time) they simply don’t fail in my experience unless you’ve got dud line.

adriang

Site Supporter
are you moistening/lubricating the line before tightening it? Seems very odd that 2 lines from different companies are giving the problem (assuming they are not made by the same manufacturer and then rebadged).

Bronsin

I am planning on using Flouro for my hooklengths this year, if I ever get out there that is, and decided to try my Drennan hook tying tool for the first time and see if I could make it work. I tried the 4lb vanish which I have had some sketchy success with first, and it tied a very nice strong knot. Then I tried the 2lb which I have had no luck at all with conventional knots, and horsed it up the first time and broke it. The second knot held up fairly well. I was able to break it, but I only used 9 turns and feel like the 12 they recommend would have done better. There's also a spool of Seaguar Invizx in 4lb that I've heard a lot of good things about, and am anxious to give it a try.

Last edited: