Floods

The Landlord

Site Supporter
Yes - was thinking the same myself when I saw some of the pics of villages around Doncaster before. A lot of Yorkshire lads on here.
Hope you're all safe.

John Step

Site Supporter
I was getting to the stage of bemoaning the difficulties about not being able to get on the rivers and constant wet tackle and clothing. I watched the news and saw pictures of the poor folk who have been flooded and have been bought back to the realisation how fortunate I am being dry at home and OK and fishing the stillwaters is just OK for now.

Stansthirdboy

Site Supporter
Who could have imagined that a place called Fishlake might be susceptible to getting a little soggy at times?

Or in the case in my home town of building prestige house on a field called Brook Meadow, the locals of longstsanding told them it flooded, but the developers knew better with the reply "not for 50 years",[Which was a lie] two years later you guessed it........................it flooded, heavy rain, the tide was in, and Atlantic storm, and all the streams and brooks in the area backed up, some of the houses were under 2ft of water.

Fishlake was on the BBC news, looked quite bad, people being helped out by local farmers, but the community and the local pub had rallied round as well to provide warmth and hot food.
The EA beig blamed for lack of management to the River Don.

fishcatcher4

On our journey from hospital on thursday it took more than an hour to get home after having to take the scenic route ( normal time 20 mins max ).
There were a few squeaky bum moments and i am just glad we were not travelling an hour later as the vast majority of routes were cut off.
It's so sad for the poor people who have been flooded again.

Geoff P

The MOGerator
Staff member
Site Supporter
The EA beig blamed for lack of management to the River Don.

For the last 20 years people have been complaining about improving flood prevention, in some places where they have done that it has moved the problem elsewhere.

You want to build or live in a house near a stream/river just be warned, if water wants to go somewhere, especially on a flood plain, it is difficult to stop

We had steady rain around Barnsley for several days in a row and the local river Dearne was not affected too bad but nearly 4 inches of rain in under 24 hours was too much.

dry nets

apprentice stormtrooper
Site Supporter
Heard a local on the radio on Friday talking about the river needing dredging. He said back in the day when industry used to ferry coal, steel etc along the river it got dredged 3or 4 times a year. At that point it was 30foot deep (I can’t that) he now reckon s it only around 4ft. If this is true it’ll explain the having nowhere to go but out over the banks.

Trogg

the bouncer
Staff member
Site Supporter
Heard a local on the radio on Friday talking about the river needing dredging. He said back in the day when industry used to ferry coal, steel etc along the river it got dredged 3or 4 times a year. At that point it was 30foot deep (I can’t that) he now reckon s it only around 4ft. If this is true it’ll explain the having nowhere to go but out over the banks.

Dredging almost ceased to exist in the late 80s/early 90's, i think it was around 96 when the EA decided that only the "important rivers" would still recieve some form of dredging, the thames being the main one because of the risk to London (you know that big place built on a marsh/ massive flood plain that had most of it's rivers covered over)... then came the wonderful EU order for the protection of aquatic environments, brilliant, certainly helped anglers prosecute polluters..... sadly it also saw an end to any chances of dredging on smaller waterways and rivers.

The Sow in my home town used to see boats coming right up into the town center..... now you can walk across it in most places without getting your knees wet and there is a group trying to reopen (dig out and rebuild the lock) the "link" between the man made Sow (the original river course has long gone) and the canal with hopes of bringing boats back to the town center.

Thats approximately 2 miles as the crow flies but more like 5 miles once the twists and turns have been taken into account, the esitmate for the work so far..... £4 million!

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
Hi All.

So far we have been extremely lucky. Flood water inches off our door. We live approximately one mile away from Fishlake in the village of Fosterhouses. Between Fishlake and Sykehouse. At the flood waters height I measured 20.5”. Less than Fishlake I’m assuming. Here are some pictures of our garden and paddock area.

Attachments

• 0E358D43-5C1F-428F-8260-B233D025B5BB.jpeg
    0E358D43-5C1F-428F-8260-B233D025B5BB.jpeg
    313.8 KB · Views: 48
  • F3E24A62-9936-4437-8147-5AA099348603.jpeg
    F3E24A62-9936-4437-8147-5AA099348603.jpeg
    481.8 KB · Views: 47
  • 4112B9F2-529D-42AD-88B1-22E7E26E282A.jpeg
    4112B9F2-529D-42AD-88B1-22E7E26E282A.jpeg
    472.8 KB · Views: 48
  • 1D79720B-62A2-4081-BA2B-FD75114A1C57.jpeg
    1D79720B-62A2-4081-BA2B-FD75114A1C57.jpeg
    303.3 KB · Views: 50

PAB

Site Supporter
Hi All.

So far we have been extremely lucky. Flood water inches off our door. We live approximately one mile away from Fishlake in the village of Fosterhouses. Between Fishlake and Sykehouse. At the flood waters height I measured 20.5”. Less than Fishlake I’m assuming. Here are some pictures of our garden and paddock area.
Fingers crossed for you. lets hope the worse is over I cannot believe in 2019 that there is reports of looting going on in Fishlake the army should be bought in to shoot the bas%^ards.

NoCarpPlease

Site Supporter
firstly - best of luck to all those affected by the terrible flooding.

the "farmer" asking for dredging to recommence on the River Don is a stock response and potentially oversimplistic. Different solutions are needed at different points in a watershed / watercourse. Part of this will be to deliberately sacrifice farmers fields to save towns from flooding. Increasingly we see water "meadows" that are planted with crops rather than grazing (that is more resilient to flooding).

Equally - new builds on flood plains has consequences now that the climate appears to be getting rather more changeable than it has been in the past 100 or so years. Severe, intense rainfall events are happening more frequently - affecting old build towns ( eg. Cockermouth, York)as well as new build.