Flood ish river chub tactics

Fugley-fisher

Fishing the stour dorset, most probably!
Site Supporter
Right chaps, the river stour dorset is not known to fish well when it's up and chocolate, but I I'm going to give it a go I've got my 13ft ctx a few 50 and 60 gram feeders and a tin of meat, im going to attempt to catch a chub or bream about the only things I recon will have a munch, how long would you give each swim and how frequent would you cast, if i can't hold bottom with 60grams with a bow I'm going home. Any tips. For those that don't know the stour summer time I use 12gram feeders and a .5 oz tip, it's 10-14 ft deep and only 20m wide the stretch I fish is anyway. So when it's up it pushes through.

MarkW

Fish bread on a 10 with liquidised for bream and a chance of a tench, possibly good roach. The chub hardly ever show at all in dirty water on the Stour. On the lower river eg Throop, it's prime barbel time. The Stour is dropping fast, at least the upper river is.

squimp

Site Supporter
As Mark W says; chub tend to be a target when the water is lower and green, not up and brown.

smiffy

Site Supporter
I have caught Chub in high water and colour but they do seem to be accidental captures when fishing for other species. I’ve had a lot fishing a pole feeder intended for Bream. But have to agree, a high river isn’t the best.
A big smelly bait near their usual haunt should do the business. They will be in open water rather than amongst the tree roots.

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Surprised it’s not dropped a lot by now tbh. When I was on the stour almost a year ago to the day it was going through like a train one day then not too bad at all a couple days later. Guess it could well be different further up but that bit certainly went up then down again much quicker than I’m used to on the rivers around here which take a while to flood but when they do then take ages to recede!

dave brittain 1

Site Supporter
60 gms is only 2 oz so not a lot in terms of flood water fishing particularly if you have to hold a far bank eddy. Personally I don't worry about the weight as it's just a number, look at the conditions, whether the river is rising or falling, colouring or clearing.

If it's heavily coloured you'll struggle to beat double lob worm for quality chub. There's no finesse as 8lbs main line to a proper 6lbs hook length or similar diameter, low diameter hook length is fine, size 10 or 8 hook is the way to go.

Look for the eddies behind trees trailing in the water, the undercut banks on the insides of bends and those pegs where it's slightly steadier above a well known run off/glide that holds good numbers of chub in normal conditions noting they'll always move upstream to find steadier water but generally don't move too far from their natural holding areas, noting in these areas they can still hold mid river if it's steady enough. You don't need to feed just put the double lob worm/meat out and explore what you to perceive are the natural holding areas.

If it's dropping and clearing, if the colour is ok you can attack it with a feeder, meat or maggot.

Best tip I can give is travel light and explore a number of likely swims spending no more than 20 minutes in a swim if you don't catch as they are either there or not there, noting that in general if you get one quickly, there are usually several fish holed up in the same holding area.

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
On my local river as I fish a two peg weir, the fish are either there or not, I'd move and take a roving approach if given the chance. Sometimes I'm lucky and they're holed up in the weir eddies, as the main flow is just too turbulent when the river is up, other times it's devoid of Chub and I presume they've gone to seek refuge somewhere downstream. Noting... I can't fish it when it's 'very high' as there's limited bank space.