Floats, how many is too many ?

TrickyD

Site Supporter
With the number of different style of floats, and different capacity for each style, how many of each variety would you carry ? Say a straight waggler, 4BB 5BB 6BB, would 2 of each or 3 of each be sensible, same with other types. I am always worried about losing one or two and not having another to replace it with, though it never happens.

ukzero1

Growing old disgracefully.
Site Supporter
I carry 3 of each weight of straight wagglers.. 4BB, 5BB, 6BB (3AAA). I carry the same amount in insert waggler. If I lose or break (e.g) the 4BB's and run out, I just rig up a 5BB.

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
I like to have say 3 to 4 of each of my regularly used sizes then just 1 to 2 of my very occasionally used sizes.

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
I've looked at some of those 'starter' float kits that you can get. They always look tempting as reasonable prices for a selection of floats, but you only get one of each type in one size and probably a pattern you wouldn't use anyway. To answer the question though I tend to buy 4 of each size, two yellow tips and two red tips when it comes to wagglers and sticks, that way you have a spare if you lose one. The bill soon mounts up when you're buying lots of different sizes though.

John Step

Site Supporter
I must say I have hundreds spread around different sets of kit and also a shoe box of spares. I dont get much opportunity to use the sticks and balsas nowadays.
Some date back to Ivan Marks/Billy Lane/ Kevin Ashurst ranges as well as modern pole jobs and pike floats and so on.
They can be addictive!

Ivan heaphurst

I always have at least two of any float. There again I make most of my own so some are made to measure. There again the number of floats really depends on the venues that you fish. If you fish the rivers there will be plenty of sticks and Avon’s . If you are a stillwater man waggles are going to be prominent in your float box. Some of my waggles go down to two or three No 4 depending on the venue. The brutes are in the region of five SSG. Heavier than some of the fish that they catch.

TrickyD

Site Supporter
I do have an abundance of stick/balsa/avons as I am predominantly a river man. Have quite a lot of pole floats, but with wagglers it is mainly straight unloaded in a few weights. Just looking at getting some bodied wagglers for when the need to use arises. Darts,onions,duckers,zoomers, don't hear of them much now.

TrickyD

Site Supporter
have never left a tackle shop in 50 years without buying one you have to right?
When KC Angling was around I would buy one or two. Ken and the 2 Steves were Dorking men, the shop was well stocked with river floats.

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
I remember I bought 8 stick floats, only cheap ones, from my tackle shop and the bloke joked that I must be planning to get broke off a lot. I'm just building my collection.

Simon R

Site Supporter
I have three float tubes (cut down rod tubes) - one is full of top and bottom river floats - sticks, balsa, avons and a few chubbers - probably a couple of dozen in total. Another contains straight and bodied wagglers - floats that could be used on rivers or stillwaters - probably about twenty or so. The third contains purely stillwater floats - slim insert wagglers, stillwater blues, canal darts etc. All have bubble wrap at either end to prevent them getting bashed around too much.

I have dozens more floats at home that I will add if necessary - for example a day on the upper reaches of the Swale or the Ure would see the smaller capacity stick floats come out and a few more balsas or avons go in. Those three tubes sit in the bottom of my box and generally go everywhere with me - they weigh next to nowt and if I take one out it's long odds I'll forget to put it back in again :p

I also have a much longer tube that holds my giant wagglers (12-16") straight and bodied - too long to go in my box, on the very rare occasions that I think I may require the contents the tube goes in my carryall. I posted a picture of some of the Drake floats earlier this year

Drake 002.JPG

Simon

nico12

Grebe Grabber
I dont buy half as many as i used to ( same with feeders) - I cant remember the last time i lost a float ( same with feeders) and apart from the odd waggler here and there from the tackle shop i dont really buy many at all. Think I own around 50 river floats but never take them use them anymore and maybe same wagglers from delicate canal style ( couple of old stillwater blues) through to 2 swan straight wags. Still got a few Dave Thomas sticks ( Ray mumford also) and some homemade ones from Jan Porters shop in Hucknall
Never felt i havent got an option in the tube with 50/60 floats, though i guess it depends on your venues / mix of places

nejohn

Site Supporter
I have 3 drawers for my box full of floats, 1 deep drawer with a selection of all types of float and at least 2 of each float this goes with me when I know I will be sat in one peg or don't know the venue, I have a shallow drawer with top and bottom floats and some straight and insert wagglers for when I am roving on the river this is part of one module for my box that has 2 front drawers so when long walks or roving this is the only module I clip on to the H frame. I have another module that is basically a 50mm deep tray that has stillwater/canal floats and a selection of terminal tackle, this is my canal module or with some additions my holiday module as it has the basics plus it takes up very little space in the car. In addition to what is in my tackle box I also have a plastic storage box full of various floats that I have collected over the years.

When I buy floats I will always buy at least 2 of the same float and make sure that I can cover differing light by buying multiple tip colours. As has also been said I usually come out of any tackle shop I visit with floats of some description, I always thought the secondary purpose of a float is to take your spend in the tackle shop to the nearest £10

OldTaff

Site Supporter
I used to have boxes and boxes of floats of every type and colour but they all went in the big clear out.

Since returning I’ve been far more selective and have just a small tube of stick floats for the river and all my wagglers are Drennan Crystal in a couple of different weights, the insert wagglers have interchangeable tips helping to keep the number down.

Bought a small collection of pole floats from a local guy who kindly sorted out the patterns and sizes I needed for the limited number of venues I fish.

All up I’ve probably got about 60-70 floats in total now and don’t have an urgent need for more.