Floats for shallow pellet fishing

Maesknoll

Chris
Staff member
Site Supporter
So, bit of an own goal posting this, as I’m sure there will be a range of opinions, but for those who fish pellets shallow, which floats do you use and why? It’s one of two aspects of my commercial fishing I want to improve this year and I never feel I have the right float on.

This is fishing for proper carp, not pellet lickers.

The Landlord

Site Supporter
Watched some videos where the anglers advocate a dibber. However I've also seen a few where they use a smaller rugby ball shaped float. Be interested to see the replies myself.

JLK

chefster

Shedster!!
Site Supporter
So, bit of an own goal posting this, as I’m sure there will be a range of opinions, but for those who fish pellets shallow, which floats do you use and why? It’s one of two aspects of my commercial fishing I want to improve this year and I never feel I have the right float on.

This is fishing for proper carp, not pellet lickers.
For carp Mick Wilkinson Cookies!, same floats and rigs for mugging E6CD2D28-CD71-477E-9B3A-D44EF31A8C11.jpeg

crackatoa

Site Supporter
If it's just Carp then it's a bristle so you can read the fall of the pellet and know what depth they're taking at. A longish leash is also important

Me and my lad

Site Supporter
I make my own version of the cookie Chester. Using a heavy glass stem instead. I cannot show a pick as they are in the local tackle shop. However the MW are great along with Hillbilly ratcatchers

chefster

Shedster!!
Site Supporter
If it's just Carp then it's a bristle so you can read the fall of the pellet and know what depth they're taking at. A longish leash is also important
I honestly can’t see the point in a bristle float for carp shallow, basically your slapping a pellet , no shot down the line,and carp grabs it, there’s nothing to read🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️

chefster

Shedster!!
Site Supporter
I make my own version of the cookie Chester. Using a heavy glass stem instead. I cannot show a pick as they are in the local tackle shop. However the MW are great along with Hillbilly ratcatchers
Can you make any with a wire stem ??

crackatoa

Site Supporter
I honestly can’t see the point in a bristle float for carp shallow, basically your slapping a pellet , no shot down the line,and carp grabs it, there’s nothing to read🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️
More to do with liners or if they're not coming right up

Maesknoll

Chris
Staff member
Site Supporter
For carp Mick Wilkinson Cookies!, same floats and rigs for mugging E6CD2D28-CD71-477E-9B3A-D44EF31A8C11.jpeg

I used to use MW patterns nearly exclusively, but now it’s seems very difficult to get them, down to my last 3 Cookies. I was trying the Hillbilly Shady Shallow last year, that’s not too bad. I just want a pattern that I can get when I want and I am confident in.

I do agree with you, not sure of the need of a bristle for carp, but if a float has a 2.5 or 3mm bristle and does the job, then I’m not going to dismiss it.

6872486D-45D9-48E6-B4F7-00A653864EF7.jpeg

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
Half of the time at Bankend I don’t use a float. If you do they become preoccupied with it and I’ve even had them take it off the surface before. I just ping pellets and hold on. 💪👊🤣🤣

chefster

Shedster!!
Site Supporter
I used to use MW patterns nearly exclusively, but now it’s seems very difficult to get them, down to my last 3 Cookies. I was trying the Hillbilly Shady Shallow last year, that’s not too bad. I just want a pattern that I can get when I want and I am confident in.

I do agree with you, not sure of the need of a bristle for carp, but if a float has a 2.5 or 3mm bristle and does the job, then I’m not going to dismiss it.

6872486D-45D9-48E6-B4F7-00A653864EF7.jpeg
I’m down to 3 cookies now 😂😂lucky it’s rare to lose one and it’s a pretty tangle free rig 😂

Zerkalo

I'm not convinced they're invisible but they're an easy choice for me without having to experiment with different floats and I like the shape and durability of them.