Floating past

62tucker

Site Supporter
What the strangest thing you seen floating passed , or
What strangest thing sunk in your swim.
once seen a full staircase floating down the River Tyne.
And a Quarry I go piking to has a inside down car in. Can’t see it in summer as it in a big bed of lilies.
also seen a big turd floating passed on a commie. Dirty bas tards.

Arch

Site Supporter
A dead Dog. I was fishing a old clay pit and noticed out of the corner of my eye something floating in the reeds. I wandered over and it was a dog, Alsatian type. Some b@astard had tied a concrete post to it and lobbed it in. Phone the police who came down and got it out. :mad:

On the river Soar, there used to be Coconuts always floating by.

ukzero1

Growing old disgracefully.
Site Supporter
I once brought in a dead Heron while feeder fishing, and a trainer (Nike) on a waggler line.

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Floating passed probably dead sheep or big chunks of trees so nothing that unusual. In terms of sunk in the swim again not all that unusual but there’s a wreck of a German bomber off the bembridge end of the Isle of Wight and my grandad managed to hook and land a bit of fuselage from it last year which was quite cool to see.

Coconuts is an odd one arch! They are quite a common sight to see go by amongst the mangoes, mangrove pods, manatees and dolphins etc when I fish in Florida but wouldnt expect to see them in our more temperate climes!

Arch

Site Supporter
Floating passed probably dead sheep or big chunks of trees so nothing that unusual. In terms of sunk in the swim again not all that unusual but there’s a wreck of a German bomber off the bembridge end of the Isle of Wight and my grandad managed to hook and land a bit of fuselage from it last year which was quite cool to see.

Coconuts is an odd one arch! They are quite a common sight to see go by amongst the mangoes, mangrove pods, manatees and dolphins etc when I fish in Florida but wouldnt expect to see them in our more temperate climes!

The river does flow through Leicester. 'Nuff said really. ;)

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Haha good point, surprised theres not bits of mangoe as well left over from all the chutney!

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
I was once doing a bit of fluff chucking on the River Riccal (N. Yorks) and a Cow came floating past

Yuccaman

I like fishing.
Staff member
Site Supporter
I know I've told this before, but it is a memory I will never forget, albeit from over 20 years ago now. I was fishing a match on the Grand Union Canal, and it was a tight affair with not more than a few gudgeon in it. All of a sudden, it seemed that a certain, not exactly slim, club member was playing a bit of a beast. Lots of eyes were on him as he proudly slid his net under... a 12" Michelin man. He never quite lived it down...

In terms of floating? Perhaps a 10x8 garden shed heading down the Trent!

JR Hartley

Strange this as I was talking to a mate who worked for the EA yesterday about did he ever find any bodies when working (He didn’t ) another old fishing friend told me years ago on a big themes match just before the whistle went a body went floating past no one got up as to call the police as there was to much riding on it ! No Moblie phones in them days.

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
Not so much floating but sunk - many years ago I was netting one of the Nostell Priory Lakes with the then Yorkshire Water Authority's fisheries team and we started to pull in a heavy object.
Once it got into shallow water everyone shot up the bank and left the net where it was - it was an oxygen bottle similar to the type used in welding but for that brief moment it looked like a WW2 bomb :D

RedhillPhil

Computers verified, riots quelled, wars started.
Site Supporter
A dead Dog. I was fishing a old clay pit and noticed out of the corner of my eye something floating in the reeds. I wandered over and it was a dog, Alsatian type. Some b@astard had tied a concrete post to it and lobbed it in. Phone the police who came down and got it out. :mad:

On the river Soar, there used to be Coconuts always floating by.

You'll always find coconuts in rivers where there's Hindus as they're used in their ceremonies.

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Now you mention Hindus I was on the warks Avon last year when they had a festival on at Stratford and the river was covered in flowers they'd been throwing about, like thousands of them!

MarkW

I fished a New Year's Day open on the Stour at Wimborne and a policeman asked us if we'd seen a body. We hadn't but the one they were looking for turned up three weeks later a couple of weirs down.

Trogg

the bouncer
Staff member
Site Supporter
Fishing the Dee in chester and a dead cow floated past, there used to be a flooded quarry we were allowed to fish and at the bottom was a car with a "body" in the passenger seat, you could just make it out in the wainter when the water was clear..... it wasn't a real body but someone had thought it funny to stick a tailors dummy in it and fasten the seat belt so it looked like a real one the police got that peeved at calls about it they eventually sent a diver down to remove it lol

160642fishing

Site Supporter
I fished a New Year's Day open on the Stour at Wimborne and a policeman asked us if we'd seen a body. We hadn't but the one they were looking for turned up three weeks later a couple of weirs down.
Saddest thing I ever saw was red berets,rucksacks etc going down the Trent at Collingham when an inflatable dinghy with a load of Scottish TA Paratroopers had gone over the weir in darkness.

John Step

Site Supporter
When fishing the Trent after a heavy rain its easier to say what haven't you seen floating past!!

Total

Site Supporter
A cow, which happily they got out by the weir. A dead sheep....Both on the Medway.....The saddest one of the lot, a 'John Doe' washed up in my swim on a TAPS match on the Thames by the Chelsea embankment :(