Floating baits

Phillip MGBGT

Site Supporter
I always used to attach my dog biscuits to the hook by cutting a small shallow groove in the biscuit with a junior saw blade and then super glue the hook and biscuit together, and it was always a success. I have been trying recently using a bait band instead and the hook just twists round so that it is sitting sort of side ways at best, so what method do you use.
This is of course for use with a control float.

rd115

плак-плак
Site Supporter
Can always use bait band, but pull the band into the biscuit with a baiting needle rather than traditional banding.

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
All sorts really but my order of preference is bread, hookable floating pellets, banded floating pellets and floating rubber casters

gingert76

Facts, Stats & Evidence!
Site Supporter
soften the biscuits and side hooking, never needed to do anything else and will stay on as far as you can cast your controller, only alternative for me would be a piece of cork glued as you say but i always found it faffing around so just soften with hot water

Lee Richards

Site Supporter
I am with Ginge and prefer to directly hook soft mixers that have been flavoured and dyed so as they stand out.
The mixers will swell up when softened but this allows the hook to be nearly buried as well ,this helps to fool wary Carp.
Most of my larger Carp off the top have come to either freelined single baits right in the margins or double mixers on a size 6.
Downside of soft mixers is they can come off if trying to cast a distance,which tbh is not what you really want to be doing anyway.

robert d

Allways trying to improve
Site Supporter
I always used to attach my dog biscuits to the hook by cutting a small shallow groove in the biscuit with a junior saw blade and then super glue the hook and biscuit together, and it was always a success. I have been trying recently using a bait band instead and the hook just twists round so that it is sitting sort of side ways at best, so what method do you use.
This is of course for use with a control float.
The best I've seen is drilled biscuit with a bayonet I dont as again no floating baits allowed at my club . A whole slice of bread with crusts removed and rolled tightly line wrapped around it many times finished with a half hitch I have tried years ago and wow that works . I know of a fellow angler who had 350 on a natural venue well almost natural it was a gravel pit many moons ago . I have also many years ago done well with old tough bread rolls broken into sizeable pieces on a banded 3ft hooklength .

Me and my lad

Site Supporter
I drill them and hair rig the traditional way with a drennan micro dumbell stop. They sink after a while but this can induce savage takes also

Silver fan 82

If using mixers then as said soften with warm water and side hook. The rubber, floating dog biscuits are good too. Can be hair rigged and being rubber tend to stay on longer.

Gaz9243

I have some small latex bands. Loop it over the hook shank, drill/pierce the centre of the biscuit, thread band through, and loop it back over the hook. Takes seconds to do, and I know the bait can't separate.

Dave Spence

MD virtual champion 2020. Golden Pie winner 2018.
Site Supporter
One of my favourite methods but I always 'hook' my baits, bread, pellet or marshmallows. However I will now be trying sugar puffs (y)