Float rods light action.

Mow

Has anyone had a greys david wesson canal rod? Ive got one me dad got given to him. Love it for plips on the canal but im too scared to use it on club ponds

warrington63

Exiled Northerner
Site Supporter
Probably late 80's early 90's...if you remember they had rods on a stand that ran the length of the lower floor from just as you went in the door to just before you went up the steps, the Geoff Bibby stand was across the front of that stand for a while, got all of my Bruce and walker rods from Adams from a fibre glass CTM right through to the John Dean I got
There is a 2nd hand fibreglass for sale in tackle shop near me, I am tempted to buy just for nostalgia sake I had the 13' flyer many years ago, I remember the tubertini canal rods, I think the old north west angling centre had some in .

nejohn

Site Supporter
There is a 2nd hand fibreglass for sale in tackle shop near me, I am tempted to buy just for nostalgia sake I had the 13' flyer many years ago, I remember the tubertini canal rods, I think the old north west angling centre had some in .
It would only be for nostalgia, I found my old CTM a few months ago and gave it a waggle..... really don't know how we stood in a river and held them all day....I was tempted to try fishing with it but then common sense broke out..!!
The limit of my nostalgia is an ABU 506m which I use regularly and sometimes dig my old hardy carbon rod out and fit a Mitchell match to it...which to be fair isn't a bad combination and also sometimes use the Mitchell with up to date rods...cos I can

warrington63

Exiled Northerner
Site Supporter
It would only be for nostalgia, I found my old CTM a few months ago and gave it a waggle..... really don't know how we stood in a river and held them all day....I was tempted to try fishing with it but then common sense broke out..!!
The limit of my nostalgia is an ABU 506m which I use regularly and sometimes dig my old hardy carbon rod out and fit a Mitchell match to it...which to be fair isn't a bad combination and also sometimes use the Mitchell with up to date rods...cos I can
I gave all my old Mitchell's including otomatic and match plus 506 and 507 abus to daughter in law for her car boot stall in aid of a hospice, priced them to sell for her, not 2nd hand market value, they all went within 10 minutes, She made a few quid for hospice from them.

trotter2

Like said the only old fishing gear I have and use regularly is my closed face reels.
Good Bruce and walker rods in there day but nothing compared to modern rods.

NoCarpPlease

Site Supporter
I think that good rods from about 1988 onwards are still within a few % of good rods today In most scenarios, but particularly for light action float rods.

trotter2

I think that good rods from about 1988 onwards are still within a few % of good rods today In most scenarios, but particularly for light action float rods.
Could be right no carp or it could be down to the fact they just are not making those type or rods,(barring one manufacturer). How good would an acolyte canal rod be. A proper job with a spliced it

nejohn

Site Supporter
Could be right no carp or it could be down to the fact they just are not making those type or rods,(barring one manufacturer). How good would an acolyte canal rod be. A proper job with a spliced it
I think Drennan would have to remodel the acolyte blank completely to fit a spliced tip to it, as I feel the middle section would be far to soft and you wouldn't get the benefit of the spliced tip. There are more than one manufacturer currently making light actioned float rods, nothing wrong with the browning sphere hot rods, Garbolino essential 12ft lite or even a Harrison 12ft GTi all currently available and all top quality float rods every bit as good as an acolyte and with the exception of the browning around the same price as an acolyte

trotter2

Are you sure about the GTi I remember looking at a custom build years ago and it was going to be about £300 on a Harrison's blank then.

nejohn

Site Supporter
Are you sure about the GTi I remember looking at a custom build years ago and it was going to be about £300 on a Harrison's blank then.
I got a quote from them a few weeks ago they said £120 for a 12ft blank only + £15 if I wanted smooth finish and complete rods started at £190 depending on your specifications with about 4-6 week delivery time

trotter2

I got a quote from them a few weeks ago they said £120 for a 12ft blank only + £15 if I wanted smooth finish and complete rods started at £190 depending on your specifications with about 4-6 week delivery time
That's very cheap I would take a guess a half decent cork handle would cost £20, reel seat £10,guides £15 ,epoxy and thread say £5.
So the rod builders making £20?

nejohn

Site Supporter
That was what I was quoted but as I said prices start at £190 and there is a mark up on the blank and all the fittings would be bought at trade so probably more than £20 to build ...to be fair I was surprised at the price for a complete rod ...thinking about ordering a blank...give me something to do over the next few months

trotter2

Just done a Google on rod builders working on Harrison's blanks cheapest one I can find giving a price is from 260 for a float rod.Which would give the builder about £80 for the build sounds more like it tbh.

nejohn

Site Supporter
Just done a Google on rod builders working on Harrison's blanks cheapest one I can find giving a price is from 260 for a float rod.Which would give the builder about £80 for the build sounds more like it tbh.
I got the price from Harrison's themselves, just had a look for the email but must have deleted it, but to be honest I was thinking nearer £250 for a complete rod. But if you are pretty comfortable building one the blanks are fairly reasonable, they may also supply part built rods with just the rings to put on. Always gives a extra bit of satisfaction catching fish on a rod you have built yourself

trotter2

The first carbon rod I made was on a century excalibur blank purchased the from adams tackle shop nejohn. That was a long time ago when we used cellulose dope and varnish on the wraps.

nejohn

Site Supporter
The first carbon rod I made was on a century excalibur blank purchased the from adams tackle shop nejohn. That was a long time ago when we used cellulose dope and varnish on the wraps.
I made one of those got it from the factory at Washington they put a nice short handle on it for me just left the rings to whip on

trotter2

I made one of those got it from the factory at Washington they put a nice short handle on it for me just left the rings to whip on
Yep remember you could buy a part build like you say already had the reel seat rings on and the handle.
Just left you to whip the guides on.. Another rod I did was a zipplex NG1 and conoflex cod beach rods.
After that I got involved in making split cane rods ran a business for 30 yes doing that. That was making rods from culms of bamboo started hand planning later running the tapers through a milling machine .

JohnL

Got to agree with an earlier post, it’s my amorphous whisker spliced tip. 2lb mainline and 12oz bottoms in old money, also still got my waggled version . Landed my best carp on it 22lb 3oz from Tockenham in Wiltshire fishing for roach and skimmers, 4lb main 0.1 mm hooklength took nearly 1/2 an hour.