Float rods light action.

trotter2

We have had a number of interesting discussions about rods recently. They usually break down into which is the lightest and the best action. We have also had descustions about rods with the most powerful actions for carp and barbel trotting. But which rod would you describe as having the lightest possible action for ultra fine fishing with fine hook lengths and tiny hooks. I use the acolyte ultra but what's your choice slightly different subject to the normal float topic.

solwood

Site Supporter
Harrison GTi or Dave Harrel ST for me

Have both, same blank, latter I have extension to 15ft

Both spliced tip. I bought an acolyte ultra and preferred these two as I felt they offered a little more backbone when a bigger fish didn't read the script

Also tried a drennan matchpro, sold that too.

It's all what feels right for you though

Last edited:

warrington63

Exiled Northerner
Site Supporter
Harrison GTi or Dave Harrel ST for me

Have both, same blank, latter I have extension to 15ft

Both spliced tip. I bought an acolyte ultra and preferred these two as I felt they offered a little more backbone when a bigger fish didn't read the script

Also tried a drennan matchpro, sold that too.

It's all what feels right for you though
I had 2 original Harrison GTI with sliding reel fittings a 12' and 13' , had fish from 2oz sized roach to low double carp on it, Brilliant rods, Only sold them because gathering dust in garage,

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
I use an acolyte ultra which is the best float rod I’ve used full stop and it has a nice light action. Have also used the ultra light matchpro which is pretty close to it. Have used plenty other float rods but none that you’d call particularly light actioned.

Deejay8

Site Supporter
My old Shakespeare President Super Match 13ft that I got in 1984 takes a lot of beating for light fishing for silvers and has enough power in reserve for the occasional bigger fish. It's superb trotting on rivers for roach and dace. I think it's one of the all time great match rods.

Sam Vimes

Site Supporter
In certain circumstances, I really enjoy using a really light actioned float rod in conjunction with light lines and small hooks. As far as I'm concerned, the number of new rods that fit the bill are relatively small. I've been through a few to get to the rods I currently use which include Acolyte Ultras, Normark Microlite, Browning Sphere 13'6" Spliced Tip River, old Daiwa Tom Pickering Matchwinner-S Stick float modified to 11', Drennan Acolyte 17' Float and, my favourite, Browning Sphere Hotrods Silvers Edition. The choice will depend largely on whether I'm fishing a river or stillwater and the size/depth of the venue. Some of these rods will never be used on flowing water, others will never see still water. The Acolytes sit between the two stalls and will see use on both.

Rods that have been left behind include a Drennan Matchpro Ultralight, a Drennan IM8 Super Crystalight and a Maver Matchwinner Crystal. There are a few older canal rods that I'd have liked to have tried, but either price or lack of availability has put me off. I'd have also liked to have tried a couple of Shimano Light/Response match rods and a few of the 90s Daiwa light actioned match rod variants.

Reuben

Site Supporter
I’ve just pulled the trigger on a Drennan Matchpro Ultralight 11ft. Was a great price so it would‘ve been rude not to. It was a toss up between this & the Cadence 11ft No.1 but the Drennan was cheaper. Really looking forward to giving it a go on a small lake that I fish in the Lake District that’s sometimes awkward with a longer rod.

BoldBear

When I’m fishing very light on the float I tend to use either my older 13ft Diawa Amorphous light float rod which is ideal for mainlines of around 2 to 2.5lb and hooklengths of between 2lb right down to 8oz, or my 13ft Drennan Acolyte Ultra Float rod which I find ideal when the occasional larger fish is to be expected using 3lb-ish mainline and hooklengths of around 1.7lb/2lb.

Keith

Cobweb

Site Supporter
13ft Drennan Acolyte Ultra is the default for me. I usually spool up with 3lb mainline. I have my 13ft Daiwa Whisker spliced tip rod now in storage. If I had the dosh I'd pick up the Sphere Spliced tip river rod

DFL

Site Supporter
When I’m fishing very light on the float I tend to use either my older 13ft Diawa Amorphous light float rod which is ideal for mainlines of around 2 to 2.5lb and hooklengths of between 2lb right down to 8oz,

Keith

been trying to find one of these rods for a few months now, they are like rocking horse poo!

crackatoa

Site Supporter
Another vote for the 13ft Drennan Acolyte Ultra. 2.5lb Maxima reel line. Fantastic for light waggler fishing.
This set up and a pint or two of caster makes for an enjoyable day

MarkW

Since when has using 2.5lb Maxima been light waggler fishing? For light work I use 1.5lb Maxima or 1.5lb Daiwa Harrier, with 0.08 hook links. Apart from the power float rods just about every match rod I've owned since 1974 has been capable of handling this sort of gear, with 2lb line the standard match gear gear. This winter I've fished 1.5 Maxima main line with either a Shakespeare Boron Mach 2, a Normark Microlite (original) 12ft or a 13ft Microlite II. If you want to find out how well your rod handles proper light gear spool up with 1lb Maxima and 0.06 hooklinks.

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
I’ve never really found there to be a need to go below 3lb mainline 2lb hooklength. I’ve done plenty well enough on that set up so don’t really see the need to risk going lighter for a maybe 10% gain.

nejohn

Site Supporter
My default would have been my Normark microlight 2000 if some scrote hadn't nicked it (along with some other rods) about this time last year ( I have just seen there is one on eBay not a million miles away from where it was nicked from) so now it would be one of the following , Garbolino essential 12ft light, Silstar match team 13ft, Daiwa AWM 12ft light, fox fx match 12ft spliced tip, Maver liquid crystal. Those would be for waggler fishing stick float would be a different matter though

John Step

Site Supporter
I bought an old style Normark Nova 12ft matchrod second hand for £25. It was mint condition. I have an Acolyte Ultra which I love but the Normark has by far the lighter action.

Dave Spence

MD virtual champion 2020. Golden Pie winner 2018.
Site Supporter
I have a Milo Superlite 13' that I picked up from Roger Surgays shop in Hucknall about 20 years ago. If you are after small roach, gudgeon etc it is an absolute joy to use.

nejohn

Site Supporter
I have a Milo Superlite 13' that I picked up from Roger Surgays shop in Hucknall about 20 years ago. If you are after small roach, gudgeon etc it is an absolute joy to use.
Would that be the New Era superlite?
If it is they are lovely rods and there was a lot of talk at the time of them being built on diamura blanks ....just like a Microlight....read from that what you want